• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Why is the date of manufacture important to MSP - i.e. if you are engraving an incomplete 80% can’t you complete at any point afterwards under current law?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pre-2013 means it was before the AWB, so you can build a pre-2013 lower into whatever configuration you want (non-HBAR, baynet lug, etc…).

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    If there is anyone in the SOMD area looking to have the engraving done, I used Devil Dog laser engraving. He quoted me $50 apiece for my AR lowers but lowered it to $40 apiece because I had twelve total. Quick turnaround and clean work.

aervin

May 11, 2015
    Haven't seen this mentioned before and wondered if anyone else is aware of this / has heard it, but I called Engage Armament in Rockville and they said that currently they can't accept 80%'s due to a MoCo law that forbids the transportation of said 80%'s within the county. The guy I spoke to said they are going to court with the county over this later this month and currently taking down names and numbers to schedule appointments for serializing after the court date, assuming the current law will be overturned.

That being said, they quoted $45 per lower.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I spoke to my friend at blue custom works and he plans to be at the Timonium gun show this weekend doing laser engraving on-site.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    I know this has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. If I have a PMF engraved to ATF regs, does it still need to be registered with the MSP or does registration only need to be done for guns marked in accordance with state guidelines?

aervin

May 11, 2015
    You still have until March 1, 2023 to get PMFs serialized, at such a time the MD bills will ban the mere possession of every unserialized firearm or unfinished frame or receiver.
    More info found here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/information/privately-made-firearms-in-maryland

The more confusing part is how to serialize the frames/receivers, either with the ATF method (The serial number must begin with the licensee’s abbreviated Federal firearms license number, which is the first three and last five digits, as a prefix to a unique identification number, followed by a hyphen, e.g., ‘‘12345678-[unique identification number]’) or the MD method (The serial number would include the zip code and initials of the owner, plus another unique number). HOWEVER, after 8/24/22 this zip code alternative cannot be done by any FFL under the ATF Rule.

Some FFLs are saying they aren't doing the ATF method and they may not continue to do serializations after 8/24/2022. It's a whole cluster.

One FFL I spoke to recommended waiting until after 8/24/22 just to see how it shakes out and most likely go with the ATF method after such a date. But again, other FFLs might be stepping away from doing it altogether.

Regarding the question of "How can a PMF be engraved to avoid registering with MSP?" From Maryland Shall Issue (same link as above):
    When using the ATF method, a "frame or a receiver marked in this manner by a manufacturer or importer need not be registered with the Maryland State Police."

This is merely how I read it and I'm not 100% certain that my interpretation is correct.

Last edited:

treasurehunter

Jul 22, 2018
    If there is anyone in the SOMD area looking to have the engraving done, I used Devil Dog laser engraving. He quoted me $50 apiece for my AR lowers but lowered it to $40 apiece because I had twelve total. Quick turnaround and clean work.
    ATF or MD method, which did he use?.

Mofiki

Dec 16, 2012
    You still have until March 1, 2023 to get PMFs serialized, at such a time the MD bills will ban the mere possession of every unserialized firearm or unfinished frame or receiver.
    More info found here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/information/privately-made-firearms-in-maryland

The more confusing part is how to serialize the frames/receivers, either with the ATF method (The serial number must begin with the licensee’s abbreviated Federal firearms license number, which is the first three and last five digits, as a prefix to a unique identification number, followed by a hyphen, e.g., ‘‘12345678-[unique identification number]’) or the MD method (The serial number would include the zip code and initials of the owner, plus another unique number). HOWEVER, after 8/24/22 this zip code alternative cannot be done by any FFL under the ATF Rule.

Some FFLs are saying they aren't doing the ATF method and they may not continue to do serializations after 8/24/2022. It's a whole cluster.

One FFL I spoke to recommended waiting until after 8/24/22 just to see how it shakes out and most likely go with the ATF method after such a date. But again, other FFLs might be stepping away from doing it altogether.

Regarding the question of "How can a PMF be engraved to avoid registering with MSP?" From Maryland Shall Issue (same link as above):
    When using the ATF method, a "frame or a receiver marked in this manner by a manufacturer or importer need not be registered with the Maryland State Police."

This is merely how I read it and I'm not 100% certain that my interpretation is correct.
    You can still 3d print receivers/frames you have 30 days after completion to serial and register

mikem623

Jan 8, 2016
    Carney
    You can still 3d print receivers/frames you have 30 days after completion to serial and register
    Just picked up my pistol frames and AR frames from DC LASER in Hagerstown. Great man to deal with. Quality job. Well worth the drive from Carney. Charges $25 a weapon for more than 10 items. Finished to ATF standard.

For further information, the lower receivers had a serial number engraved on them for identification but not too ATF standard when I bought them. Doug said that that was not a problem. Engraved necessary info on other side of receiver. Am good to go.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    Just picked up my pistol frames and AR frames from DC LASER in Hagerstown. Great man to deal with. Quality job. Well worth the drive from Carney. Charges $25 a weapon for more than 10 items. Finished to ATF standard.

For further information, the lower receivers had a serial number engraved on them for identification but not too ATF standard when I bought them. Doug said that that was not a problem. Engraved necessary info on other side of receiver. Am good to go.
    I also just dropped off a few to him. Nice guy and a member here but not a industry member.

legendindisguise

MDS Supporter
    Jul 16, 2021
    Just got my 3 lowers done to ATF standard ($120) at Blue Customworks in Finksburg. He's on Facebook, very nice & professional.

treasurehunter

Jul 22, 2018

Now, do you have to register them?. It appears the decision has been made to use the ATF method only.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Aside from the fact that the Maryland method is ridiculously stupid… and…

Since the Maryland method goes away in August 2022…

Why would anyone use that method?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom