• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Any of you folks working with handloads with the LEVERevolution powder and bullets in your lever actions? They seem to make a lot of sense for lever fans if published reports are to be believed. I'd be curious to know what you've found at the range (accuracy/velocity) or in the field if anyone has done work with these. Thanks!

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've read about using this brass in loads for the .45-70 Gov't.

The brass is shorter than the 'trim-to' length for this grand old cartridge.

Care must be used when working up loads, using this brass.

wgttgw

Apr 10, 2011
    Cambridge
    IIRC factory loaded lever revolution rounds for the 444 use shorter brass as mentioned above about the 45/70. I personally would not have any interest in trimming by brass down to load the bullets. I did not see much ballistic performance increase in the 444 data.

Again just from memory it seemed the only cartridge which greatly improved with the flex tip bullets was the 30/30. And then the hand loader could load pointed 30 caliber bullets and only put one in the tube and one in the chamber and most likely equal or exceed the ballistics of the flex tipped bullets.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Good points! Had frankly forgotten the bigger bores......was thinking only about 30/30. The powder especially intrigues me because it seems to produce significantly higher velocity and trajectory improvements while still producing pressures within SAAMI specs. The 30/30 case has long been the biggest limiting factor rather than action strength. The old cartridge will never be a comparative ballistics star, but there's something about the lever guns that I've always liked. Quick, well balanced, history and nostalgia.....all of that I guess. Just makes for an all around enjoyable eastern deer rifle to me that might be made significantly better. Time at the range will tell I'm thinking. I have some bullets ordered and want to play with this some when I can get my hands on a pound of powder.

dogboy

IDPA RSO / NRA RSO
    Oct 22, 2007
    Patuxent River
    I can tell you the factory loaded Leverevolution .30-30 can react explosively on whitetail if it hits bone at anything less than about 80 yards. It can be rough on meat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom