• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I love how wide the paddle is. Just like the one Blackhawk! Has for the SERPA.

It's a two edged sword . IF the shape of the paddle matches the contours of your hip , it's great . If not , it's an Infernal Torture Device .

The first variant of the Uncle Mike kydex- ish paddle holster , had multiple slots in the main part of the paddle , that gave just enough flexibility to conform to hip shape . The later version had the rigid , solid paddle .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yea it’s not exactly tight against my side. But it’s secure.

Part of the inherent nature of the beast .
    It takes an excellently designed paddle holster , with the right gun , to conceal as well as average holster directly on the belt .

I'm not saying Paddle holsters inherently suck , but there are design tradeoffs to gain the EZ On/ EZ Off .

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    It's a two edged sword . IF the shape of the paddle matches the contours of your hip , it's great . If not , it's an Infernal Torture Device .

The first variant of the Uncle Mike kydex- ish paddle holster , had multiple slots in the main part of the paddle , that gave just enough flexibility to conform to hip shape . The later version had the rigid , solid paddle .

The paddle that came with my XDs fits really nicely at 4 o'clock and the butt of the gun shows clearly to world. Put at 3 o'clock and it hides the butt, but damn that thing bites me.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    More and more of my class time is spent teaching people how to dress/holster. Could be a 3 credit course.

TD
    It's tough when holster companies themselves show the paddles going through the belt when demonstrating their products (This is NOT a dig at OP...I value his opinion and experience.)

It's a design balancing act .

A lot has to do with how the center of balance of the holstered gun in relation to the line of the belt . Ie , if it's extra high riding , gravity acting on center of balance , will pull the upper part of the gun outwards .

Conversely , if it's lower riding , it will stay in place better , but the muzzle will be lower . and require a longer cover garments ( if concealed ) . A ride height about the same as the classic Tom Threepersons is close to a sweet spot for comfort and stability .
    With my Safarilands, I disagree. Same holster, different paddles. The full size paddle is firm and tight- close to the body. The "mini paddle" is flexible and sags- printing more.
    You're welcome to do a side by side comparison whenever we see each other again.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have a Comp-Tac paddle holster for my S&W M&Ps. It is a very solid, top grade piece of kit. It is a single piece of elaborately folded and shaped kydex, rather thick. The pistol locks in the holster with a very satisfying click, and requires a brisk and deliberate tug to draw.

Of course the paddle goes down in the pants. It has projections at the front and rear of the large paddle which help anchor it. Worn with a heavy leather belt, or my steel-lined Loopers "barrel hoop" belt, it is both stable and comfortable.

I have worn it in various classes, at steel shoots, and at the range generally. I may try it for OWB concealed carry under a jacket: we'll see.

Anyway, I really like that holster.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's tough when holster companies themselves show the paddles going through the belt when demonstrating their products (This is NOT a dig at OP...I value his opinion and experience.)

Well, anything alien gear sucks. That being said, the video said they make one just for going through the belt if I heard him correctly.
    But most paddles I am familiar with have a 2 inch space, but the average belt is 1.5. No one wears a 2 inch belt, especially with jeans because the loops are typically 1.75. The extra half inch is for pant grab.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    Sounds like a good use of time, actually.
    It is, I bring a crate if about 20-30 holsters and then explain the good and the bad. If I have 16 in a class at least half on a good day realize their cheap gear doesn’t work well. If they learn this before they leave it’s a success.

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom