Let's Talk About Bear Defense for an 82-Year Old.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I don’t think the 410 buckshot would do much for a bear but a combination of the buckshot and the 45 LC might get his attention. I carry a 44mag when hunting. Either a S&W 629 or Desert Eagle. The S&W is easier to carry but due to its size the Desert Eagle has less perceived recoil
    If he has a Taurus Judge, do not load it with Buffalo Bore Hard cast +P rounds or it will blow up according to Taurus. If it is a S&W Governor, these would probably be OK but check. In a Ruger Redhawk, this round is potent black bear medicine. I would never use 410 or any plain 45lc round on a bear and never hollow points. Depending on the model, Buffalo Bore also makes a hard cast 357 Mag +P that would probably do. I would not go smaller than 357 Mag for black bear. 44 Mag and up will also do the job provided you are using hard cast bullets. YMMV

fauxknee

Mar 9, 2018
    I want to buy my dad a pistol for self defense against bears. He keeps encountering them on his property in Western Penna. The only pistols my dad owns are a .22 Mag, a .380 ACP, and a .357 Mag. So far, I've been told to buy my dad either a .44 Mag with a short barrel or one of those Judge revolvers with .410 00 buck. I'm leaning toward the .44. Any thoughts from you handgun experts?
    The get a slower friend and secure your perimeter are so far the best inputs but I have my crazy ideas

Protect your man. As we get older the risks are so much greater but bear attack is not prominent. Handicapped accessible stuff saves lives more often than guns. Yes guns take lives but I thought the initial question was how to most help a Dad

Jerrym2

MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2020
    Elkton md
    I want to buy my dad a pistol for self defense against bears. He keeps encountering them on his property in Western Penna. The only pistols my dad owns are a .22 Mag, a .380 ACP, and a .357 Mag. So far, I've been told to buy my dad either a .44 Mag with a short barrel or one of those Judge revolvers with .410 00 buck. I'm leaning toward the .44. Any thoughts from you handgun experts?
    10mm is what I use for sidearm when bear hunting. Kimber makes a nice 1911

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    You all are saying that three 15-rd magazines of 9mm won't kill a bear? That would be 45 rounds emptying into the bear.
    I rather doubt you can empty even one mag before the bear's on top of you. The bear might die eventually, but not before it does serious damage

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I rather doubt you can empty even one mag before the bear's on top of you. The bear might die eventually, but not before it does serious damage
    I'm not just standing there and shooting. Gotta move around.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    It depends on how hard you throw them I guess.
    Maybe +P. Lol

Now how about a lever action .44mag? Could that be more tame? Of course it’s less compact. But if the expectation is that bear might be around than having a long gun isn’t so excessive.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    You all are saying that three 15-rd magazines of 9mm won't kill a bear? That would be 45 rounds emptying into the bear.

Do you think you’re going to have the time, speed, and agility to be able to out maneuver a charging bear, while accurately shooting and swapping mags?
    FWIW, I’ve had two close encounters with black bears. One time was 5-10 yards, the bear must have been sleeping in a root hole below an old logging road I was still hunting along. The speed which that animal came up and ran was too fast and close that I couldn’t have pulled a shot from the rifle in my hands, let alone even draw a pistol. Fortunately he ran away from me.
    The second time I was muzzleloader hunting and had 3 does come up on me. While watching them, I hear a stick break behind me. A bear had walked within 15 yards before I knew he was there. I had the ML shouldered already looking at the deer, I MAY have had time to pivot and get a shot there if it decided to charge. That “standoff” lasted about 30-45 seconds with me the deer, and the bear all sizing up the situation. After the fact it was kind of amusing.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

Do you think you’re going to have the time, speed, and agility to be able to out maneuver a charging bear, while accurately shooting and swapping mags?
    FWIW, I’ve had two close encounters with black bears. One time was 5-10 yards, the bear must have been sleeping in a root hole below an old logging road I was still hunting along. The speed which that animal came up and ran was too fast and close that I couldn’t have pulled a shot from the rifle in my hands, let alone even draw a pistol. Fortunately he ran away from me.
    The second time I was muzzleloader hunting and had 3 does come up on me. While watching them, I hear a stick break behind me. A bear had walked within 15 yards before I knew he was there. I had the ML shouldered already looking at the deer, I MAY have had time to pivot and get a shot there if it decided to charge. That “standoff” lasted about 30-45 seconds with me the deer, and the bear all sizing up the situation. After the fact it was kind of amusing.

Gotta agree with ChrisD here. You're not going to be able to buy any appreciable time during a bear charge. They can run at 30-35 mph. 30 MPH translates to a charging bear covering just under 15 yards per second. A bear at approximately 45 yards can be on you in about 3 seconds.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Maybe +P. Lol

Now how about a lever action .44mag? Could that be more tame? Of course it’s less compact. But if the expectation is that bear might be around than having a long gun isn’t so excessive.
    Might as well go for a 45/70 guide gun in bear country.

Once upon a time in WMD, I saw a 450# black bear hit with a 7mm mag front chest shot, that pirouetted and presented a perfect broadside behind the shoulder blade shot w/ a 300 Win Mag at 35 yards. This bear did a 180 and kept bellowing while crawling 35 further feet away before getting hit with the final and 2nd 300 win mag shot at the base of its skull going away.

This bear was dead after the first shot and definitely after the 2nd shot but did not know it with jello for lungs, missing an aorta, and a destroyed shoulder. I am very happy I did not meet this bear in the woods w/ a handgun of any caliber much less than one under 45 cal w/ the proper load.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Might as well go for a 45/70 guide gun in bear country.

Once upon a time in WMD, I saw a 450# black bear hit with a 7mm mag front chest shot, that pirouetted and presented a perfect broadside behind the shoulder blade shot w/ a 300 Win Mag at 35 yards. This bear did a 180 and kept bellowing while crawling 35 further feet away before getting hit with the final and 2nd 300 win mag shot at the base of its skull going away.

This bear was dead after the first shot and definitely after the 2nd shot but did not know it with jello for lungs, missing an aorta, and a destroyed shoulder. I am very happy I did not meet this bear in the woods w/ a handgun of any caliber much less than one under 45 cal w/ the proper load.
    People often don’t appreciate the damage a body can sustain and still be a threat. Mortal wounds do not render a creature harmless.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    People often don’t appreciate the damage a body can sustain and still be a threat. Mortal wounds do not render a creature harmless.
    Just look at the battle of Mogadishu. A former SEAL described the ineffectiveness of 62gr out of short barrels on the Somalians high on khat as "damn skinnies wouldn't stay down. They were dead but didn't know it yet and still in the fight."

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    If I was looking to defend myself or others from a black bear I'd not go the pistol route. If the OP's OG rolls around with a golf cart, rig up a scabbard for a lever or SA carbine or rifle. 30-30, 308, 30-06, etc.

Rig the scabbard up as a golf club bag or whatever if the Karens are a concern.

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Awesome thread. No surprises.

ounce of prevention v pound of cure

dont put out food sources

do encourage bear hunters

which gun/caliber? EIGHTY TWO. HAND STRENGTH AND REFLEXES UNKNOWN. reconsider gun as primary option

boat air horn a must. Bear spray a second must.

I‘d suggest for your consideration to convince Norton the bear has transgressed and get that bastard sent to banned camp. Hell, name it…Black Bart or Black Bartaromo. Problem solved.

There are a couple reliable 44 carbines. I’d consider them seriously if you’re determined to arm your Pop. A good (easily accessed) gun rack is key to bringing the weapon to bear…. Already mentioned but the bear can and will close distance faster than any Teuller Drill you can imagine. Plenty bears here in our mountains. Their ability to accelerate from zero to sixty is just plain hard to believe. Had I not seen it in person, I’d call BS.

No mention of possible night ops by Pop. I’d suggest lighting as another possible deterrent. Light and noise can do a lot to convince a Bruin to move on. I’m a fan of very bright strobes. Add Metallica at extreme volume as may be needed (to accompany said boat air horn.)

back on task here. Prevention trumps cure. Cure should be easily and reliably employable by Pop.

ps…don’t forget to ensure his will is in order

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If I was looking to defend myself or others from a black bear I'd not go the pistol route. If the OP's OG rolls around with a golf cart, rig up a scabbard for a lever or SA carbine or rifle. 30-30, 308, 30-06, etc.

Rig the scabbard up as a golf club bag or whatever if the Karens are a concern.
    We haven't really given enough thought to converting the golf cart to a Technical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom