• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Being a lefty aside from sig that has reversible slide lock.
    Not worried about mag release. Who has reversible slide lock in same compact size? I like hell cat but not sure if has reversible slide lock.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Since the options are limited and as a lefty, I slingshot the slide. Practice it and you may find that you don't need to worry about the slide release. You can also get an extended slide release for the Glock to make it easier to do with your left index finger.

Crosseye Dominant

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2018
    +1 for index finger, although some releases are more awkward for that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Kimber Mako and S&W CSX are the only tiny 9s that have an ambi slide release.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Is something wrong with using your left index finger ? I have been using my left index finger for my slide releases for 40 + years, I don't even think about it anymore. But if you need a gun with a left side ( it has both left and right releases) the HK P30 and P30k is a nice gun that will fit that need.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    My new Gen5 Glock 19 has the release on both sides. I belive that is how all Gen5 Glocks are, except the slim ones.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Great feed back.
    Probably should have been more clear on my guestion.

To me as most releasing the slide is just a matter of pulling slide back and releasing. Sling shot method pistol now goes into battery.

I never use slide “lock “as a slide release rather prefer pulling slide back to release slide stop to put pistol into battery.

My personal concern is “ using “slide lock “to lock slide back only“. As a lefty it requires me to change from holding pistol in left hand to right hand to manipulate slide to rear at same time engaging slide stop to lock slide open.

Not easy to do holding pistol in left hand, pull slide back, then flip up lock open without switching hands.

Could just be me but thinking using the slide lock as a “slide release “is going to wear slide lock mechanism so it can no longer reliably hold slide back.
    Reason for my guestion.
    Thanks for great suggestions.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I pull the slide to the rear with my right hand and use my index finger on my left hand to push the slide lock up. It's not that hard after you do it a bunch of times. It's so second nature to me that when I shot a friends gun that had an ambi slide lock, I still used my left index finger.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I pull the slide to the rear with my right hand and use my index finger on my left hand to push the slide lock up. It's not that hard after you do it a bunch of times. It's so second nature to me that when I shot a friends gun that had an ambi slide lock, I still used my left index finger.
    Ditto. Hold the gun in the left hand, take right hand over the top of the slide to rack it then use left or right index finger to lift slide lock.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Being a lefty aside from sig that has reversible slide lock.
    Not worried about mag release. Who has reversible slide lock in same compact size? I like hell cat but not sure if has reversible slide lock.
    I am RH with dominant left eye, so I shoot left-handed. I recently purchased a Kimber Micro 9MM and it is also a good gun for LH use.

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    I am RH with dominant left eye, so I shoot left-handed. I recently purchased a Kimber Micro 9MM and it is also a good gun for LH use.
    I'm RH with left eye dominant as well. I have just started shooting with pistol optics and it has made that combo so much easier.

I shoot left hands on occasion just to do it, but I hate it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My personal concern is “ using “slide lock “to lock slide back only“. As a lefty it requires me to change from holding pistol in left hand to right hand to manipulate slide to rear at same time engaging slide stop to lock slide open.

Not easy to do holding pistol in left hand, pull slide back, then flip up lock open without switching hands.

That's an administrative handling thing . You can do that at your lesiure . Not an issue in getting gun into action or for rapid reloading when needed .

If a gun of your preferences happens to have ambi slide lock , great . But it's a tertiary issue , and shouldn't dissuade you from guns otherwise well suited for you w/o ambi slide lock .

FWIW - SA Revolvers are actually better suited to leftys than for right handed .

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I
    Good advise
    To be honest the pistol I was having difficulty with was my XD 9 that has a grip safety.

I tried a few suggestions mentioned here and on the pistols that have no grip safety I was able to grip slide far enough forward so a flick of my
    finger did indeed allow me to lock back the Slide back, no problem.

Grip safety along with my weak grip were hindering my actions .
    Thanks to all for pointing out where I need to improve.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I am not ambidextrous, but I do practice shooting with my left hand. The best pistol that I've found for lefties is the P7, but if you can find one, the Browning BDM is a great gun for lefties. The safety also acts as a slide release and decocker.

Attachments

• 20190927_170816.jpg
      20190927_170816.jpg
      225.8 KB · Views: 37
    • 20190927_170832.jpg
      20190927_170832.jpg
      289.8 KB · Views: 38
    Last edited:

Dingo222

Nov 6, 2019
    I’m a lefty and have the same issue. On my g19 I have to switch hands because I don’t have the extended release. On my hk usp I can keep in my left hand and reach the slide lock with my left index finger. The world wasn’t built for us.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    My experience as a lefty growing up shooting “righty” guns? I almost feel more at an advantage with the controls at my index finger. Maybe it’s just because I have decades of doing so, but it all seems way more intuitive to me. AK’s and HK rollers also seem to smile at lefty’s, too.

e7d493b6a2083781c8edfd917735ce77.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom