• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold71

May 17, 2011
    I am currently interested in converting my AR in to a more left handed friendly version. Not that I really have any issues with it now. The shell deflector does a good job and I always wear eye protection. I would like to not have to worry about a shell in the eye though if for some reason I found myself in a position where I had to defend my home with it, etc. I assume I would need to change out both the upper assembly and the carrier bolt? Thanks.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    There are three specific parts that make the rifle left-handed: the BCG, upper receiver, and barrel extension (four, if you count the lefty charging handle, too; I like them, but they're not necessary.) Unless you're building from the ground up, you'd be better off just replacing the entire upper and selling your old one.

While you're at it, you'll want an ambi safety and an Norgon mag release; the Norgon mag release is heaven-sent for lefty AR shooters.

image3791.jpg

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I just decided to shoot right handed like the other 12/13ths of the population. I did shoot a friends left handed Stag and it certainly felt more correct. :)

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Hold the gun in your right hand turn the rifle 180 degress using the pistol grip as an axis. Problem solved. :innocent0

But seriously Stag arms makes one I believe a lot of the Piston AR manufactures make them in piston form. Otherwise you will spen a lot of money to go ambi. The good ambi mag release is expensive, ambi bolt release would be some sort of BAD, and ambi charging handles are kind of pricey, at least the good ones are. I am not a true lefty but I can shoot rifles lefty very well and that really is the only real issue with the AR platform.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I am right handed and shoot my AR left handed all the time and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The spent casing never hits me. The only thing I would want is ambi safety, ambi mag release, and ambi bolt release.

Cold71

May 17, 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback guys, I have been looking at stag arms for awhile. I kind of wish I knew about them a year ago and I would have just bought a left handed rifle.

Cold71

May 17, 2011
    Shooting my right handed AR. It seems pretty safe, the only issue I found that day was when a casing bounced off that cement wall and into my shirt. I suppose that could happen to anyone regardless which way they are shooting.

AR.jpg

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I also am left handed, A few years ago i ordered a left handed 40X and i will say that after shooting right handed firearms left handed over 40 years this remington is the most retarted rifle i have ever shot. It just feels unnatural to work a bolt with my left hand.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I'm reasonably ambi dexterous, however I've gotten so used to shooting right handed that sometimes, especially with pistols when I switch back to my natural "lefty-ness" it feels a little awkward.

The mag releases and safeties are what always "get me".

Cold71

May 17, 2011
    I feel yea on the mag releases and safeties. I've got a lot better will the mag changes but some of those safeties can be a bitch. I've let far too many turkeys get away trying to flick off the safety on "right handed" shotguns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom