• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have a nice desantis slim tuck plastic holster for my Ruger max 9. But the plastic is a little hard

i am thinking about a leather iwb desantis soft tuck holster

what Is the benefit and issues of leather over the plastic?​

what holster do you use?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Wright Leatherworks Predator leather pancake.

For my situation it’s perfect

I have a Milt Sparks on order but that’s 2 months away

YMMV

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    leather should feel a little better (softer) against your skin, if iwb. but it will generally be a little thicker than a plastic (kydex) holster. leather will generally have more friction/drag than a kydex holster. i generally prefer kydex - thinner/less bulk, and a friction-free draw once you yank it past the part that indexes on the trigger guard (or zero friction if you have a thumb or related release).

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    The other problem is reholstering in some leather holsters, it cant be done one handed. Most of em are "floppy" and some get worse with age.

You want the ability to reholster one handed and with out looking, and a non reinforced leather holster can make that very hard.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I prefer kydex for inside(Vedder) and leather for outside(DeSantis mini slide).
    Ask a hundred people and you'll get a hundred answers.

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    while we're on this subject , is horsehide worth the added expense ? thanks , dan

For iwb edc, I prefer leather because it is more comfortable. I'd rather the holster conform to my body than my body conforming to the holster. I don't know if it is true or not but I feel like leather is easier on the gun finish but I could be wrong.

For owb, leather or kydex works fine. I heard that leather can retain some minor levels of moisture.

I use a remora holster for edc and I have leather as a back up. My kydex holsters just sit in the drawer.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I use several inexpensive Fobus OWB holsters for my G26, G27 and Sig P365, the latter being my EDC combo. I can wear it all day, including driving, without an issue.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    while we're on this subject , is horsehide worth the added expense ? thanks , dan

Yes ..... And No . : ) That might seem smart alec , but it's not .

Yes , Horsehide IS a superior leather . Stronger . more durable . and thinner in most holster applications .

Often No - In most reasonably well designed holsters , with decent leather , properly tanned , and appropriate thickness . Dead Cow will work very well , and meet most vaguely reasonable requirements .

Also - Since Horsehide is more challenging to work with , there is self selection going on among holster makers . A high level of leatherworking skills , And a personal belief that Horse could provide meaningful advantage with their holster designs .

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    Yes ..... And No . : ) That might seem smart alec , but it's not .

Yes , Horsehide IS a superior leather . Stronger . more durable . and thinner in most holster applications .

Often No - In most reasonably well designed holsters , with decent leather , properly tanned , and appropriate thickness . Dead Cow will work very well , and meet most vaguely reasonable requirements .

Also - Since Horsehide is more challenging to work with , there is self selection going on among holster makers . A high level of leatherworking skills , And a personal belief that Horse could provide meaningful advantage with their holster designs .
    thanks for the reply , looking at something but didn't commit , will revisit it .

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The other problem is reholstering in some leather holsters, it cant be done one handed. Most of em are "floppy" and some get worse with age.

You want the ability to reholster one handed and with out looking, and a non reinforced leather holster can make that very hard.
    If you have a clip to hold the holster. Reholster shouldn’t be much an issue. You shouldn’t be in a hurry to reholster. Just pull out your holster put your pistol in its holster then put back inside your pants. few more steps but it is safer.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    If you have a clip to hold the holster. Reholster shouldn’t be much an issue. You shouldn’t be in a hurry to reholster. Just pull out your holster put your pistol in its holster then put back inside your pants. few more steps but it is safer.
    yes it safe to reholster with the holster off of you. BUT did you not see where you should be able to reholster with one hand.

Like you had to pull your firearm and maybe not even use it. Person gives up, you call the cops, they show up. You want to be able to put the gun away easily.

Think cops start pulling up, you put your support hand in the air, use strong hand to reholster. VS cops pull up and your sitting there trying to get your holster off to put the gun in it, using both hands, which takes a lot longer plus a lot more movement. And the cop is responding to a call of someone having or pulling a gun. And lets see, the whole time your cell phone should be in your hand while your on with 911 so now you have one hand on your gun the other hand is holding your phone.

Ricky, I really wish I was the person who taught your class. you would have learned so much more than you did. Also you might not have done stupid things like cut up an 80% with a tool meant for cutting people out of cars.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If I’m involved in a shooting, my gun goes on the ground for police to see and recover.

A reholster can also be mistaken for a draw

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I use a Phlster Enigma and can't complain at all. Don't have to worry about it being strapped to my belt. Comfortable and car even wear while driving for hours. I have done a 6 hour trip with it and I did have to stop it from digging in my groin but since then I got the padding kit and now it is perfect. It isn't cheap though.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    If I’m involved in a shooting, my gun goes on the ground for police to see and recover.

A reholster can also be mistaken for a draw
    Yes it can, be mistaken. But the option for an easy reholster is a very good thing as well.

2 pics below show what a bad holster can do. sorry for the butt crack hope it does not offend anyone bad holster.jpg holster2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom