• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I have some slug guns and inline muzzle loaders I have epoxied 1/2" soft "rubber" cheek pads, these are purpose built guns, tools.
    Nothing fancy, but put together to function, A woods gun at heart.

I was thinking about something a little more fancy.
    I was contemplating "inlaying" some leather as a cheek pad, on the grip, and fore stock of an older rifle.
    Routing a recess the thickness of the leather.

Did some online research and came up with nothing?
    Has anyone ever seen this done ??

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    There was a craze for insetting the forend with cured sharkskin many years back, in the "Bullseye" fraternity. The idea was the sharkskin with its "teeth" would grip the heavy, padded shooting mitt for a more consistent hold without having top grasp it.
    Not sure how well it worked or if it was banned but it sure ripped up some very expensive shooting mitts.
    I did hear of some problems with the adhesives available at the time holding up to cleaning solvents too.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I did some leather work while in the USCG about 50 years ago making leather wrapped brass work and other items. I started working with leather again in the past few years, making holsters, slings, logo coasters and other stuff. I also am an avid wood worker building grandfather clocks and wooden ship wheels along with all the furniture in my home.

I have done some leather inlay work for the forward stock of rifles replacing the checkering, with a basket weave or owners initials. The issues you will come across on old guns the wood maybe oil soaked and whatever glue you use the leather will eventually separate from the wood.

If epoxy glue is used the bumping of the leather can crack the epoxy glue can separate it from the stock as it is extremely hard and brittle. You will need a glue that is a good bonding between wood and leather that is also semi flexible, oil resistant and waterproof.

I use a compact router and make a pattern to lay over the stock this way there are no mistakes. You can also, hand carve out the inlay which is very tedious.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom