• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Now that we have gotten back to normalcy after hunting season and big game hunt lotteries are in full swing. Along the lines of lotteries, some states have lead free hunting ammunition laws or regulations.

Which states besides California are lead free for medium/big game?

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Yes, I have been seeing Condor and Bald Eagle lead poisoning stories pop up in news feeds, and started wondering if states are pushing lead free ammunition for big game.

Granted, it is a smart move to keep a box or two handy for a big game hunt, to help be successful.

Lead free ammunition is expensive: $50 (on the cheap side) up to $100 for a box of 20 rounds of rifle ammunition (if it can be found).

Last edited:

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    How many WY elk tags are issued,, what is the percentage of successful hunts?
    So how much lead is spread over a few gazzilion acres of WY from elk hunting ?

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Maryland is moving to lead-free. Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge will implement it by 2027.

Patuxtent Research Refuge is lead-free for small game.

I'm sure more and more will sign on to it.

OneGunTex

Escaped Member
    Jan 12, 2021
    Southern Maryland, no longer
    Heard recently on Meateater that Arizona has lead-free areas due to Condor.

FWIW, I've only had good experiences with it. Bought a box of Fort Scot TUI (tumble upon impact) in 6.5CM because it was cheaper actually and it dropped a whitetail DRT. When I start reloading, it's going to be Barnes Tipped-TSX for everything smaller than Elk, and Nosler Partitions for everything larger

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

If lead free has better terminal ballistics I would switch but doing so because the government says lead is bad is a non starter for me..

Where does the lead come from? The same place it ultimately goes when shot...into the ground...Only lemmings follow blindly..

Not to mention that many of us have years worth of lead hunting ammo squirreled away...Whatcha going to do with it if you plan to comply?

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Maryland is moving to lead-free. Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge will implement it by 2027.

Patuxtent Research Refuge is lead-free for small game.

I'm sure more and more will sign on to it.
    A lot of birds die from ingesting lead shot along with small rocks to aid their digestion.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    A lot of birds die from ingesting lead shot along with small rocks to aid their digestion.

And feral.cats kill BILLIONS of birds per year. Where is the Federal policy to combat that?

Solar concentrators?
    Windmills?

Attachments

• original.png
      original.png
      89.5 KB · Views: 43
    • Screenshot_20230221-183719.png
      Screenshot_20230221-183719.png
      163.4 KB · Views: 42

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    When I started handloading, I tried different bullets for deer , just because I could. Every year I would try a new one. Just experimenting. When I tried a lead free , I really liked the lethality without a lot of bloodshot meat. Cant "eat up to the hole " like some claim, but definitely lose a lot less meat. With that being said, I hope they dont outlaw the use of lead bullets .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom