• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Congrats on the sleuthing and having it turn out so well !
    Excellent writeup too.

"Knowledge is power; power is holy" and all that LOL.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Great job of digging deep along with a good write-up! Curious to see if there's a import mark, assuming there would be considering who sold it. But you never know.
    At any rate, she's pretty. This from a guy who's not a fan of the SxS. Makes me wonder how the OWS staff missed this one. VF is pretty good at culling out the special stuff and selling it accordingly. That's the stuff you see him bring to the MACA show (which isn't all that far away, yay!).

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Great job of digging deep along with a good write-up! Curious to see if there's a import mark, assuming there would be considering who sold it. But you never know.
    At any rate, she's pretty. This from a guy who's not a fan of the SxS. Makes me wonder how the OWS staff missed this one. VF is pretty good at culling out the special stuff and selling it accordingly. That's the stuff you see him bring to the MACA show (which isn't all that far away, yay!).
    Yeah, they import-marked it, but it's VERY discreet and not some jarring electro-pencil job. It's just ahead of the forend on the bottom rib. I really wish they would just put it on the bottom rib where it would be hidden by the forend when attached.

It was originally priced much higher. $1400 and change, but they slashed the prices on most of the SxS guns that didn't have "big names" on them and then I got the extra 10% off. My guess is that he read the address incorrectly since it wasn't correct in the description. If you enter J. Roberston 11 Albemarle Street London, nothing even remotely related to shotguns comes up (aside from my post on this forum, lol). He also states it's a London-made gun, which, if he had looked at the proofs on the barrel flats and water table, he would have clearly seen it was a Birmingham-made gun sold in London. I think he likely had so many of them to go through (there were still quite a few available on the site) that he didn't have the time to devote to researching every maker/trade name on the guns.

One of my tasks today, with the snow putting the kibosh on any meaningful work, is to remove the bottom plate and look for the maker's hallmark so I can determine which Birmingham maker actually produced the gun for Boss & Co.

Outstanding write-up.

That is a very sleek design, looks gorgeous.

I didn't see it listed, but does it take 2.5"/65mm or 2.75"/70mm shells?

Another thing about British shotgun culture: Rebluing and other rehabilitation of the finish doesn't really affect the value like it does stateside.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Outstanding write-up.

That is a very sleek design, looks gorgeous.

I didn't see it listed, but does it take 2.5"/65mm or 2.75"/70mm shells?

Another thing about British shotgun culture: Rebluing and other rehabilitation of the finish doesn't really affect the value like it does stateside.
    2.75" When I saw that with the other proofing marks on the barrel flats, I was extremely relieved.

Have to give you a big thanks for reminding me to check the OWS website. While not a traditional English-made double, I did find a nice piece of British history I will use to correct one of the stupider mistakes I made when I first got my C&R.

They also had the ultimate in my collecting sub-genre as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom