• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Sorry guys, I just saw this. Big collection. A couple of interesting pieces - I'm particularly interested in a couple of the goofy long-barrel shotguns.

retrievePhoto.html

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    I love these smaller auctions that have lots of “junk” sometimes you can find real deals vs the more prominent auction houses.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I love these smaller auctions that have lots of “junk” sometimes you can find real deals vs the more prominent auction houses.
    Ditto! I've found some of my best and rarest items buried in smaller local auctions here in MD and S. PA. Though it's getting harder and harder as so many auction houses were forced to go online during Covid and now anyone in the country can check out their catalog and bid live or absentee. Still worth the effort though!

SmokeEaterPilot

Jun 3, 2011
    Ditto! I've found some of my best and rarest items buried in smaller local auctions here in MD and S. PA. Though it's getting harder and harder as so many auction houses were forced to go online during Covid and now anyone in the country can check out their catalog and bid live or absentee. Still worth the effort though!
    I know people often say the days of good deals is gone because of the internet.
    I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think strategies and tactics have to change with the technology. But good deals can still be had.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I know people often say the days of good deals is gone because of the internet.
    I don't think that's necessarily the case. I think strategies and tactics have to change with the technology. But good deals can still be had.
    Agreed with a caveat. I think it also depends on where you find yourself in your collecting "career". Broad access to auctions and shop inventories probably is driving the price up a bit for the beginners out there. The fact that a gunshop owner who might be an expert in sporting arms and consigns a Springfield 1903 w. USMC hallmarks can now better identify what's in his rack and it's worth even though it's out of his wheelhouse. In the past that rare rifle might have gone out the door at the price of a more common variant.
    For the more advanced collector the 'net is a godsend. The odds that I'll find something rare and specific in my back yard just improved immensely with the ability to search the planet and buy or bid on it. Though I cannot ignore that some of my rarest pieces were found in the Mid-Atlantic region with modest driving. But never could have found them without online auction listings or catalogs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom