• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    I got a LaRue RISR from a fellow board member here. It's a really nicely made high-quality product. This company clearly doesn't skimp on design and quality production. Just installed it on my M&P15X with stock Troy iron sights. Now my alignment is too high for the iron sights. Saw a thread on AR15.com where people were lamenting about this issue too (of course I saw it AFTER I installed mine). Been bending my neck in all kinds of strange ways trying to make this work, but the RISR just elevates my sight line too high for the irons. I shoot mostly irons, not optics. I really don't want to have to remove and sell the RISR but I'm not really sure what to do...:confused:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Um, the RISR was designed for scoped optics, so your irons are going to be low when you get a cheek weld. At least this will give you an excuse to get an optic.;)

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I purchased one direct from Larue and then sent it back after a day at the range (one of the reasons I buy from Larue is the customer service). The weld was just too high (AR carbine/CTR with an ACOG).

I was told the RISR is designed for use with raised rails, not just standard mount optics.

It's a great product, but it is specialized.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    Um, the RISR was designed for scoped optics, so your irons are going to be low when you get a cheek weld. At least this will give you an excuse to get an optic.;)

soon as I scrape up the $400-$600 needed for a good optic, I find some handgun I want and there goes the $$$... this keeps happening :innocent0;)

post a picture of the rifle so we can get an idea of where the sight line is in relation to the stock

Will do, in tomorrow's daylight I'll take some pics

I was told the RISR is designed for use with raised rails, not just standard mount optics.

It doesn't say that in any of their literature. If that's really the case it's a bit misleading how it's advertised.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    it really does look like it would screw over the use of iron sights...but then again, a produced designed to raise the shooters eye level for scope use would, naturally, have this effect.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    OK, here's the gun and the RISR

SWMP15X0166.jpg

SWMP15X007.jpg

This is the typical sight picture I get now with the RISR

SWMP15X022.jpg

This is the best sight picture I can acquire now if I contort myself a bit:

SWMP15X021.jpg

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    That is a no go on that riser. It was designed specifically for use with optics. The CTRs can give people problems with a good cheek weld on a scope. So they designed this to mimic the LMT crane and vltor style. Personally, i have never seen the need for it myself. I have this stock on an AR i scope periodically and it works just fine.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chop the FSB, Install a Free Float Tube that covers the FSB. Buy a Front Flip Up BUIS to put on the FF Rail. Buy 2 mini Picatinny Risers and put them under the Front and Rear BUIS.

Problem solved.

BTW the RISR IS specifically hade for AR's with raised optics and a collapsible stock.

Omega21

Nov 27, 2010
    Traveling MD
    awesome - thanks guys. Anyone want to buy a never used LaRue RISR? I'll post it for sale on the forum in a few days. In the meantime, let me know if you are interested anyone... oh well...

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    This is an example of understanding the purpose of the piece of kit before buying it. The purpose of the RISR is to allow the use of a Magpul CTR with an AR platform (this was designed for the OBR) and optics where a higher comb is required in order to get a proper sight picture while maintaining cheek to stock weld. It solves the issue of interference with the charging handle where in the past the stock had to be extended in order to function the charging handle. It isn't necessarily for raised rail upper receivers such as the HK416 and POF. I've been issued a HK416 and have owned a couple of POFs and never had any issues with comb height using irons and RDOs including use of the CTR stock. Magpul make cheek risers for the CTR, but they are fixed and were intended for platforms like the M1A using stocks like the Sage and Vltor.

tH3_f0x

Nov 8, 2012
    risr

is it still for sale?just the risr not the stock.if so email me at ronny_graves@yahoo.com.i would love to take this off your hands for a reasonable if your willing to ship it.hope to do business with you

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom