• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Upperbay

Oct 20, 2019
    Not a seasoned reloader. Have a chance to buy some primers and want to know if size is equivalent to what I've been using. Currently using cci large 300 pistol primers. What is avaliable is remington large 2 1/2 pistol primers. Good to go or not.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    The sizes are standard. A large pistol primer from CCI should be the same as a large pistol primer from Federal or Remington. Just note that sizes are standard, but each size has a “standard” and “magnum” as well. CCI-300 is standard, CCI-350 is magnum, so stick with standard.

You should work up a new load whenever you swap any components.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Not a seasoned reloader. Have a chance to buy some primers and want to know if size is equivalent to what I've been using. Currently using cci large 300 pistol primers. What is avaliable is remington large 2 1/2 pistol primers. Good to go or not.

Attachments

• primerxreferance.pdf
      200 KB · Views: 73

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One word of caution, you likely will not run into it with pistol primers. Rifle primers it happens a little more often. Buttttt

The sizes are all standard, but some are a little more standard than others. You'll get them all to fit, 100%. But a combination of different cup thickness and hardness can change how easily they seat, as well as how easily they can be set off.

Additionally, some manufacturers, mostly foreign (not all foreign, just where you'll find it more) are not exactly the same dimensions. Basically they'll work, but it'll be a tight fit and take a fair amount of extra force to seat. Which can be good for brass with loose pockets.

I am not aware of anyone's pistol primers where that is an issue or concern. Probably in part because pistol primers already have thinner cups than rifle primers, so they'll be easier to seat.

Just a friendly reminder when switching primers to work your load back up. Especially if you are running near the bleeding edge of pressure. If you are at a much more moderate or low pressure than you'll almost certainly be fine, but you might still find accuracy changes a bunch or something and you need to tweak things.

Upperbay

Oct 20, 2019
    One word of caution, you likely will not run into it with pistol primers. Rifle primers it happens a little more often. Buttttt

The sizes are all standard, but some are a little more standard than others. You'll get them all to fit, 100%. But a combination of different cup thickness and hardness can change how easily they seat, as well as how easily they can be set off.

Additionally, some manufacturers, mostly foreign (not all foreign, just where you'll find it more) are not exactly the same dimensions. Basically they'll work, but it'll be a tight fit and take a fair amount of extra force to seat. Which can be good for brass with loose pockets.

I am not aware of anyone's pistol primers where that is an issue or concern. Probably in part because pistol primers already have thinner cups than rifle primers, so they'll be easier to seat.

Just a friendly reminder when switching primers to work your load back up. Especially if you are running near the bleeding edge of pressure. If you are at a much more moderate or low pressure than you'll almost certainly be fine, but you might still find accuracy changes a bunch or something and you need to tweak things.
    While back I ran into some online primers from nonfamiliar makers. With online reviews I received same information you post about seating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom