• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Does anyone own one? What do you think? Does it prefer certain mags over others.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    IDK....if you want something that resembles an AK, why not just buy an AK. but thats just me

I have been paid to shoot 10,000's of rounds out of an Ar platform so I know it much better than the Ak. Plus, I have decided that I want an Ar for deer hunting and I think I have settled on 7.62-39 for the round in it. I would rather stick with Ak mags since the Ar -39 mags are harder to find and I hear mixed reviews on them. So, there are some people which it may be a good fit.

They will have to be a better price though, or I'll get a -39 upper and leave it at that.

Typically, I would agree with you to stick to the thing it was made for, but in this case I may move out of the norm.

Tactics

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2010
    Happy to be Here
    fivepointstar said:
    IDK....if you want something that resembles an AK, why not just buy an AK. but thats just me

+1. Each has a purpose. The AK and AR are very different. Best solution: Get One of Each.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I like the idea of AK mags in an AR accurate platform.

I have been paid to shoot 10,000's of rounds out of an Ar platform so I know it much better than the Ak. Plus, I have decided that I want an Ar for deer hunting and I think I have settled on 7.62-39 for the round in it. I would rather stick with Ak mags since the Ar -39 mags are harder to find and I hear mixed reviews on them. So, there are some people which it may be a good fit.

They will have to be a better price though, or I'll get a -39 upper and leave it at that.

Typically, I would agree with you to stick to the thing it was made for, but in this case I may move out of the norm.

how accurate is X39 ammo?? most you find is milsurp or steel cased, its not the most accurate ammo but it does it job.

I think a more accurate AK is the Galil because the Israeli's increased the sight radius as opposed to the typical AK.

I had 3 AR uppers in x39....its a great rifle but you're right hi cap mags are hard to find.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

I am not a fan of the wood and metal AK look. I honestly like this for the full rail the system because its more AR than AK. Five point you point me int he direction of a good AK I would consider it. I would most likely replace all the furniture for polymer and make it look more like a black rifle than what it is.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    I am not a fan of the wood and metal AK look. I honestly like this for the full rail the system because its more AR than AK. Five point you point me int he direction of a good AK I would consider it. I would most likely replace all the furniture for polymer and make it look more like a black rifle than what it is.

Buy an Arsenal then. All their rifles come standard with polymer military-grade furniture.

Atlantic Firearms.com

Industry Partner
    Jul 31, 2011
    We are sold out of the IO Inc Sporter rifles at this time and the supply is very unpredictable . If you have questions on what rifle wold be the best fit for you please email us directly with your contact info we will be glad to call sales@atlanticfirearms.com

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For the price of a LAR-47 you can buy 2 decent AK's or 1 really good AK. Why on earth RRA would want to try to reinvent the wheel is beyond me. :confused:
    The AR-15 ergos are much better for a lot of people. I don't say this as someone who hates AKs (I've bought three), I simply understand why some people might prefer the AR-15 platform but want the ballistics of 7.62x39.

Be aware that the LAR-47 uses a proprietary upper and lower scheme, so while the individual small parts might be the same as an AR-15, it's not exactly standard. I'd personally prefer a PTR-32 if I was going to be Sally Special when using AK-47 magazines.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    The AR-15 ergos are much better for a lot of people. I don't say this as someone who hates AKs (I've bought three), I simply understand why some people might prefer the AR-15 platform but want the ballistics of 7.62x39.

Be aware that the LAR-47 uses a proprietary upper and lower scheme, so while the individual small parts might be the same as an AR-15, it's not exactly standard. I'd personally prefer a PTR-32 if I was going to be Sally Special when using AK-47 magazines.

The other thing that makes me leery is the bolt face, I have heard that the larger calibers that use a modified AR bolt are prone to breaking. But you are dead on about the ergos, the ones I have handled either felt too long or too short and the balance seems a little off but that could be because of unfamiliarity. I was in the army so I was very familiar with the M-16/AR-15 so familiarity even after 14 years without holding one felt good.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, there's nothing stopping you from putting a collapsible stock on an AK if you'd like a more personalized fit. Plenty of really decent adapters for that, some of them even folding. I use a collapsible stock with recoil-reduction on my Saiga 12, in fact.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Well, there's nothing stopping you from putting a collapsible stock on an AK if you'd like a more personalized fit. Plenty of really decent adapters for that, some of them even folding. I use a collapsible stock with recoil-reduction on my Saiga 12, in fact.

Couple of buddies of mine have them with collapsible and it seems with my arm length I sort of fall in between notches. I will have to look into more stock options. I am sure there a plenty of options I just have to find one I like that fits me better.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The rail on top makes mounting aftermarket sights and optics much easier and more solid than anything designed for an AK. You will. Ever get an AK trigger to be as good as a decent AR trigger. They are selected even further if you go with a high end trigger kit. I prefer DI over a piston. Accurate ammo can be had by several companies. Wolf and Tula are not the only ones that make 7.62x39. You can reach the safety selector without moving your hand from the pistol grip. Some people just like AR's better than AK's. Some people like and have both but want something different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom