Know any good internet and cellphone providers in Rocky Ridge, MD between Thurmont and Mount St. Mary's University, East of RT15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I've always liked the area and wondering what's available in terms of internet and mobile coverage. While driving around out there, I did see some old satellite dishes, Dish Network, I think, but didn't run across anyone outside to ask them about the internet situation. We would need enough speed/capacity to participate in online classes and it would be nice to be able to stream Amazon Prime, YoutTube, etc.

If you know what works, please reply.

Thanks in advance and a good and safe week for all!

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    My buddy and his grown daughters all live right in Thurmont. The daughters all have good internet (but not my my buddy....he is not a digital guy). Phone coverage can be spotty in places...especially like rolling out 77 West of 15 (hills). But most areas nearby Rt15 and somewhat east have good cell reception including data. I am not sure who their service is with. I have mine with TMobile which seems to work fairly well in most areas not in the hilly-est areas.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    Thanks for the quick reply! That's very good news but my idea is to be outside the city limits where there's less noise and more space between neighbors. Next time you talk to your friend, if it's not too much trouble, please ask one of the daughters who her internet provider is.

Thanks and I hope you have a good week!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Thanks for the quick reply! That's very good news but my idea is to be outside the city limits where there's less noise and more space between neighbors. Next time you talk to your friend, if it's not too much trouble, please ask one of the daughters who her internet provider is.

Thanks and I hope you have a good week!
    If cable is available, it would be Comcast there. Big if available though

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Regarding cell service, I am frequently in the mountains nears there, both state and federal parks, and AT&T has always had good service, including data. I have had cell connection issues driving further up 77, but anywhere near 15 has been good.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I'm not too big on waiting lists, but I will see if Comcast services the area. I also have to research something I found on youtube where a guy out in the Midwest successfully used a mobile phone connection and a sort of amplifying router to not only watch but actually upload youtube vids to his channel. Of course, for that I would need to know which mobile services are stronger out there. I have T-Mobile and it cuts off at the top of the mountain but picks up again as I drive down RT77 closer to Smithsburg.

But I'm more interested in the area between Emmitsburg and Thurmont, not too far from RT15.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and keep them coming!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I'm not too big on waiting lists
    There is only a waiting list because there are millions of people in rural American who can't get decent internet service - and Starlink is a fantastic solution. People want it before it's mature enough to let everyone in question use it. So, a bit of a wait while they deploy more hardware. It's worth it for so many people who can only get dodgy DSL, very slow geo-sync satellite service etc - and that's a LOT of people.
    a mobile phone connection and a sort of amplifying router to not only watch but actually upload youtube vids to his channel.
    If there's a cell tower not TOO far away, yet: you can use a cellular modem and a high-gain antenna to get much better service than you'd get just using your phone in your hand. But that situation varies wildly from place to place. That's a very line-of-site situation, and not a good choice in the shadow of certain hills/forests, etc.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    The area I'm considering is only about an hour from DC and it apparently doesn't have the greatest internet coverage, so I can only imagine the quality of service for those who are in the middle of nowhere. Your second paragraph brought back flashbacks of when I was a telecom consultant, around 1995-2000, writing about wireless local loop for last mile distribution in high density urban populations in Latin America...if my memory serves me right.

In my limited search, it seems T-mobile, Hughesnet, and viasat service the area.

I'll look for info on cell towers, and which of the companies above are more reliable, when I have more time.

Thanks again!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    The area I'm considering is only about an hour from DC and it apparently doesn't have the greatest internet coverage, so I can only imagine the quality of service for those who are in the middle of nowhere. Your second paragraph brought back flashbacks of when I was a telecom consultant, around 1995-2000, writing about wireless local loop for last mile distribution in high density urban populations in Latin America...if my memory serves me right.

In my limited search, it seems T-mobile, Hughesnet, and viasat service the area.

I'll look for info on cell towers, and which of the companies above are more reliable, when I have more time.
    Understand that ANY satellite service other than Starlink will be expensive, very slow, capped at unusably low (by contemporary standards) amounts of data, and with very high latency. There is absolutely no comparison to the newer approach. T-mobile may or may not have a signal nearby, but if it's not 5G, it's not going to feel adequate - and that's going to vary literally foot by foot as you look at property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom