• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the corrrect treatment for a hard, fine Arkansas stone?

• leave it dry

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • wet with water

Votes: 5 33.3%
    • use oil

Votes: 9 60.0%
    • just spit on it like Gramps did

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I have been given what I believe is a fine, hard, Arkansas stone for blade sharpening (the yellowish-gray thing next to the pouch on the left). I have & use a Lansky 5 stone set which is oiled, but this stone will be with me whenever the knife is for touch ups re edging & so on.
    I've heard several conflicting opinions on wt/dry/oiled being the correct treatment for it.
    I don't want to mess it up so which should I use in your experience (poll above).

Attachments

• EDC pouch.jpg
      EDC pouch.jpg
      359.6 KB · Views: 68
    Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The lubricant depends on what stage/coarseness of sharpening you're on.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Water or oil, the main purpose is to keep the stone from clogging, and a more consistent grind finish. Oil works better, being thicker, and with a stronger film, but water is cheap, and easy to rinse and scrub stones. You can always switch to oil, but once you oil the stone, you can't use water.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    My Arkansas stones say oil. That's what I use if I get them out. I have migrated to diamond then ceramic with a leather strop to finish.

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I've been a meat cutter most of my life, made a living with a knife in my hand most of the day. I'm old school, no gimmicks, no short cuts. Other meatcutters knew not to touch my knives, my son says I'm legendary for my sharpening skills, every knife in the house and in my pocket is razor sharp meaning they will shave hair off your arm.
    For the last 45 years I use a Norton tri-stone sharpening stones and Arkansas stone to finish the edge. At work we used Jet Oil which is a thin mineral oil that can be put in a spray bottle and is food safe. At home I use transmission fluid mixed with Jet oil if I have it. The stones stay clean as new. Often negligent meatcutters would sharpen their knives without cleaning them, fat clogging the stones. Water is better than nothing but oil will remove the gray metal shaving and fat from the stones, leave it for a day or so sitting in the oil bath and the scum will drain off. Most any oil will work. I've used everything from motor oil to fancy store bought honing oils. If you're not worried about food safe then use transmission fluid or whatever oil you have on hand. When fishing I use water on an Arkansas stone to sharpen my hooks, but the stone will clog eventually.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    OK thanks.
    I have the oil that came with the Lansky, which I'm told is mineral oil.
    I also have "mineral oil" I bought from a custom wood maker for oiling things like wood cutting boards. Heck I even have "Blade Oil" that I got for the electric hair trimmer & beard grooming trimmer.
    I think I'm good for oil!
    Its probably all mineral oil anyway!

Last edited:

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    OK thanks.
    I have the oil that came with the Lansky, which I'm told is mineral oil.
    I also have "mineral oil I bought from a custom wood maker for oiling things like wood cutting boards. Heck I even have "Blade Oil" that I got for the electric hair trimmer & beard grooming trimmer.
    I think I'm good for oil!
    Its probably all mineral oil anyway!
    Mineral oil should be food safe and is used on cutting boards and keep steel blades from rusting. Check the label.

I only use water on Japanese stones that I thought I could eventually learn to use properly that must be a Zen thing...

A 2" knife belt sander and 220 grit gets them all sharp quickly. I finish w/ a leather strop.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Mineral oil should be food safe and is used on cutting boards and keep steel blades from rusting. Check the label.

I only use water on Japanese stones that I thought I could eventually learn to use properly that must be a Zen thing...

A 2" knife belt sander and 220 grit gets them all sharp quickly. I finish w/ a leather strop.
    Stupid question. Do you use the fleshy side of the leather strop, or the grain side; when stropping knife's on them?

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Yep smooth side. Get 2 of different grits. I've also heard that you can use buffing wheel rouge, but I don't.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I use a few methods, most pocket knives are repaired/sharpened on an Edge pro apex. I strop and sharpen some on my 1x30 belt sander with 3M trizact, fine mylar belts and a leather belt. Good stufff gets sharpened by hand on the edge pro, then finished on a powered leather belt. For quick sharpening or convex edges, I use the sander start to finish. For most I go up to 600 grit stones, then stropping gives a durable razor sharp edge with minimal work. To finish/polish/strop, I load the smooth side of the leather with green compound, and after I get the edge I want, I use the back rough side of the belt without compound to clean and buff the edge.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    A strip of denim from my old jeans and green compound is what I tend to use. It seems to work for keeping a pretty decent working edge on my knife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom