• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Nice Kimbers, I received one a couple months ago, have not had a chance with the weather to really see what it will do, now with it getting warmer hope to find out.
    For you who have refinished do you mind giving out how you did it? Mine has a scratch and has some nice grain under the original finish, would like to make it pop.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
      IMG_0891.jpg
      79.1 KB · Views: 94
    • IMG_0892.jpg
      IMG_0892.jpg
      79.3 KB · Views: 95

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont
    Nice Kimbers, I received one a couple months ago, have not had a chance with the weather to really see what it will do, now with it getting warmer hope to find out.
    For you who have refinished do you mind giving out how you did it? Mine has a scratch and has some nice grain under the original finish, would like to make it pop.

I'm sure using a chemical stripper would have sped things up, but all I did was sand mine with 100, then 150, and finally 220 grit sandpaper (after removing all the metel of course) finished off with 0000 steel wool. I then wiped it down with mineral spirits (couldn't find my tacky rag) to ensure all the dust was removed. I'm partial to tung oil so it got 4 hand rubbed coats 24 hours apart with 0000 lightly applied between coats except for the final one which got a buffing from a cotten rag. BLO I beleive will give you a more glossy finish, but I usually use tung oil as it is the more subdued satin look of most mil surps. It might get a few more coats (the beauty of using tung oil is that you can add more later) next week. I was just so excited to put it back together I stopped after 4. To make it "pop" you might want to go with BLO... a more glossy look might bring out the look you are looking for.

Nixon

Jun 28, 2010
    We're spare parts for these even made? That is what has scared me off.

CasualObserver

Who Observes the Observer
    Apr 27, 2012
    Maryland Born Now in Vermont

fishcheeks

Oct 12, 2012
    washington, dc
    The rusty description is scaring me off, my luck is below average. Gosh i want one of those kimbers.

CMP wait time, second purchase, HRA Service grade, sent Jan 8 and still waiting.

Last edited:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I will be making another trip north soon if someone wants me to act as an agent as I have for some others in the past.

Some people luck out and don't get rust others get some its luck of the draw. I picked mine based on metal then stock. I was able to get a consecutive pair which some one care about but since I plan for my son to get one I thought it was cool. :-)

Also yes there are some spare parts. I can't remember the website off the top of my head but there is someone who makes spare parts.

M1842

Jul 27, 2009
    If you pick it up at the CMP store, you have to pay sales tax. Shipping is cheaper.

I picked mine out in person at the South Store and then had it shipped because the shipping was a lot less then the 10% sales tax on two rifles. So you still have the option of having it sent to your house. It was emotionally difficult to let go of the Kimber and the M1 I had picked out and let them be shipped instead of paying the sales tax but they came two days after I purchased them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom