• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cww

Jan 28, 2010
    so what is the conventional wisdom on keeping mags loaded for an extended period of time? what is too long? fully loaded or partially so the springs do not set?

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    My understanding is that compressing and uncompromising the spring over and over, does more to fatigue the spring than keeping the spring compressed for an expended period of time.

That said, I still keep my PMAGs stored with only 28 rds in them.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    My .02...

Most trusted sources agree that leaving mags loaded is OK, especially if you relieve a little stress by leaving the last one or two rounds out. Repeated compression and expansion causes spring wear faster than sitting loaded, but all compression still weakens the spring. This has been confirmed by Wolff Springs and a number of tests: www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA302507. Of course not all springs are created equal and cheap springs will suffer failure faster.

Poly body mags and to a much lesser extent aluminum mags can suffer from feed problems if left loaded to long. That's why PMags come with the "dust cover" which pushes the top round down slightly, to relieve pressure on the feed lips.

FWIW most of my mags are stored empty except for the shotgun tube and a few pistol mags which are my primary HD choices. I don't really see the point of loading up a bunch of mags if most ranges frown against you transporting them that way. But if the Zimmerman trial returns a "not guilty" verdict maybe I'll have a couple on hand... :D

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I've had the same g17 mags loaded for 5 years and they still feed just fine :)

Lets pray they stay loaded for another 25

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Just asking becasuse I have always shorted those mags one or two.

5 years and running without a non-intentional malfunction. I did put some OLD crappy nasty wolf ammo in the gun one time that jammed it up pretty good. Placed the rear sights on the end of the work bench and gave it a few heavy handed love taps and got it functional again.

They are okay to keep fully loaded with no real issues. I mean your always going to have the one or two who had an incident but ive got 5 years going strong.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With a handfull of exceptions, a reasonably well designed magazine, made of quality materials will stand up to being loaded nearly indefinatly. For years it was a staple feature in gun magazines wereby someone foud grandpa's 1911 magazine that had been loaded since he came home from WW I , and then they tried it, and it still worked.

While it doesn't effect spring life, it is well known that Browning HiPower mags feed more reliably with 12rds.

While it doesn't effect magazine life expectency, there are other reasons to download AR magazines by two rds.

While it doesn't effect spring life, ( at least w/ early production mags ) fully loaded G17 mags are reported to have wear on the notch on mag body, to the point of being unservicable after about 5,000 rds. Loaded with 15 they are reported to go 100K + (per mag) with no noticable wear. ( alot of people would consider replacing mag body every 5K rds a good trade off for an extra 2rds, but just pointing out )

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have left quality mags fully loaded for over 15 years. They worked fine.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    thanks for the toughts/info. kinda confirms what I have heard in the past. never felt the need to do it but times are a changing and so is my level of preparedness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom