• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    As the heading says, I just moved to SC last November 8. I bought a new handgun last week. Today, I just got out of a gunshow. Buying a handgun, in this case, a new Glock 21 Gen 5, took as long as filling up the form. Then I'm out of the store with my new handgun. The gunshow is not that impressive as the one in Chantilly. Nothing that tempted me. A lot of WW2 surplus, not a lot of modern firearms.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    As the heading says, I just moved to SC last November 8. I bought a new handgun last week. Today, I just got out of a gunshow. Buying a handgun, in this case, a new Glock 21 Gen 5, took as long as filling up the form. Then I'm out of the store with my new handgun. The gunshow is not that impressive as the one in Chantilly. Nothing that tempted me. A lot of WW2 surplus, not a lot of modern firearms.
    Completely different world. ...
    Did the search on Gun Shops when we hit SC.
    Found 2 close by. One less than 10 min away, great people. They had a used Sig 220 45acp in excellent shape, asked if I had my CWP at the time no, paid for it, bout 10 min to do the online form, said I was approved and then said you want it in a bag or box??? Man what a shock. Even the Hardware store has FFL, order what you want more or less insane price on transfers, so grab some bolts, nuts, screws and done...Gotta stay away from Auction Sites though...picked up some nice ole 22 Bolt actions, Sigs, etc.
    And if you have proof on owning property, not being a resident....no problem... CWP $95, includes everything...class, live fire, fingerprints, etc.

-Rock

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

I fear I will never make it back to free America from the heaven and hell of Maryland. I moved to Maryland from Virginia to marry my wife and have half regretted it for the past 35 years.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I fear I will never make it back to free America from the heaven and hell of Maryland. I moved to Maryland from Virginia to marry my wife and have half regretted it for the past 35 years.
    She probably says the same about you.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Can't wait to leave this damned state. :mad:
    Lived in MD a long.. long time, family was all that kept me there..Glad we moved...where we are its simple, people wave, open / hold the door for ya, speak, "yes sir, yes ma'am" southern hospitality. We are known as "Yankee's, Northerners"... Hunting and the gun culture. Just like the Club we joined $40 year, basically like Issac Walton League, conservation oriented, trap / skeet, rifle 2 lanes, pistol, fishing, bow range, all kinds of functions, feeds, etc.lots of land. Come and go as you please..

-Rock

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Welcome to America! We moved to Florence a year ago.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Lived in MD a long.. long time, family was all that kept me there..Glad we moved...where we are its simple, people wave, open / hold the door for ya, speak, "yes sir, yes ma'am" southern hospitality. We are known as "Yankee's, Northerners"... Hunting and the gun culture. Just like the Club we joined $40 year, basically like Issac Walton League, conservation oriented, trap / skeet, rifle 2 lanes, pistol, fishing, bow range, all kinds of functions, feeds, etc.lots of land. Come and go as you please..

-Rock
    Lots of folks from up north have moved here and have yet to run into a liberal. We all moved here to escape that crap and will vote accordingly.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Funny thing, SC is probably one of the more restrictive southern states in regards to the 2A. Permits are shall-issue, but only for residents, have to show a deed or proof of assets in the state before you can get a non-resident permit. "No weapons" signs do prohibit carry by the law, and have a relatively stiff penalty. Even so, no permit needed for "glovebox carry", and there are a lot of free outdoor shooting ranges around in parks.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    I grew up in Florence.

We like it, reminds me of a much larger Sykesville/Eldersburg, but without all the traffic and liberals. We got ourselves a semi fixer upper on Forest Lake. And the area is growing. Some Japanese company is building a 1.3 million sq ft battery plant in the county.

Do you miss it?

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    We like it, reminds me of a much larger Sykesville/Eldersburg, but without all the traffic and liberals. We got ourselves a semi fixer upper on Forest Lake. And the area is growing. Some Japanese company is building a 1.3 million sq ft battery plant in the county.

Do you miss it?
    I miss the BBQ mostly.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have a place just outside of Charleston in Summerville. We think about moving down there but lately the traffic is worse than here in MD (beltways excepted). I have the SC CWP but I still can't buy a handgun there without sending it to an FFL in MD. Can't carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol even if you're not drinking.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Funny thing, SC is probably one of the more restrictive southern states in regards to the 2A. Permits are shall-issue, but only for residents, have to show a deed or proof of assets in the state before you can get a non-resident permit. "No weapons" signs do prohibit carry by the law, and have a relatively stiff penalty. Even so, no permit needed for "glovebox carry", and there are a lot of free outdoor shooting ranges around in parks.
    I'm given to understand that my MD permit allows me to carry in SC.

Handgunlaw.us says that carry is OK but only for MD resident permits. Seems odd, since MD doesn't discriminate between res/non res.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I'm given to understand that my MD permit allows me to carry in SC.

Handgunlaw.us says that carry is OK but only for MD resident permits. Seems odd, since MD doesn't discriminate between res/non res.
    They are "resident permits only", and 21+ only, On some reciprocity maps some states show full reciprocity implying non-resident are fine(although not the case) but in reality they are pretty restrictive by southern standards. Md has reciprocity for MD residents despite not having a separate "non-resident" permit, if the address isn't in MD, it's not lawful carry in SC. Of course the likelihood of getting caught or an officer noticing, and charging is very slim. In PA's case, no reciprocity, so no effective defense in SC unless in the car, or if you own property in SC and can get a non-res permit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom