Just got your Wear & Carry? So what's next?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KB Defense

Industry Partner
    May 15, 2023
    Laurel
    Two points:

1. It says "NRA Basic Pistol class", not Basic "Defensive" Pistol class. There is a difference. There are two NRA Defensive classes - Outside the Home and Inside the Home - that are more advanced. I've taken all three - the latter two with Kirby. The Basic Pistol class is very basic, not primarily defensive shooting-oriented.

2. The course description does say "or equivalent". Maybe Kirby can elaborate on that a bit to clarify that the NRA class is not an absolute requirement. But if you haven't either taken the Basic Pistol class or had equivalent experience, you probably wouldn't fit well in Kirby's more advanced pistol classes. It would be like registering for a calculus class before you've learned basic arithmetic.
    Certainly Wear and Carry would be an allowed equivalent course. Some HQL classes are not that great and if you only shot one round in your HQL and haven't done anything since, then you aren't ready for this series. If you have taken a USCCA basic class, that would qualify. I know several ranges have intro classes that would qualify. If you have shot in sanctioned events, that would qualify. If you are unsure, feel free to message me.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I thought only industry partners could advertise classes……. Hmmmmm interesting.

NRA Defensive Pistol is a more advanced course that can be more tailored by the instructor. It is not the same as NRA Basic Pistol.

TD

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I thought only industry partners could advertise classes……. Hmmmmm interesting.

NRA Defensive Pistol is a more advanced course that can be more tailored by the instructor. It is not the same as NRA Basic Pistol.

TD
    He's actually advertising a class that's being offered by a new IP (GAPP Strategies).

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I don't see why.
    There's far worse examples out there. Not naming names, but the video that was posted for a certain non-IP training outfit's new facility in WV that was recently posted in the training forum may or may not have been pretty badass. I was actually suprised to see no complaints.

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    For the record, I don't consider my post equivalent to advertising a class. I was basically encouraging new Wear & Carry permit holders who, like myself, are also relatively new to handguns to consider taking some additional training to better prepare themselves in the event that they were confronted with an actual defensive situation. And yes, I was promoting Kirby's Defensive Pistol series as a good way to do that, so I inserted a link to Kirby's advertisement which, as an Industry Partner, he had every right to post.

Also for the record I don't believe I violated the Forum rules in doing that. Here is the relevant portion of the Forum rules:

"Advertising: No self-promoting [emphasis mine] of business links/interests is allowed. Businesses (including Youtube/Instagram folks) need to contact Kevin for information on becoming an Industry Partner."

I was in no way "self-promoting". I was promoting an Industry Partner's business interest, which I also believe might be of interest to some other members of the MD Shooters Forum. Kirby is a friend. I am not in any way associated with his business, nor do I profit from it in any way. Period.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It would be like registering for a calculus class before you've learned basic arithmetic.

Dang ! A * Calculus Level * pistol class !

I know shooting , and been exposed to calculus enough to fail it twice , to be bumped from Mechanical Engineering . I'd sure like to see a * Calculus Level * shooting class , or even just an outline or COF . I'd name a couple ( that I'd heard of) , but I'd embarrassingly date myself .

But if NRA Basic Pistol is the sugguested Prerequisite , I'd suspect the analogy would be more closer to : " You can't learn Long Division , until you've learned to add & subtract " .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    He's actually advertising a class that's being offered by a new IP (GAPP Strategies).

It's not the actual IP posting ( which certainly could if he wished ) . It's his buddy recommending his friend's class .

To give the OP the benefit of the doubt , he is presumably posting independently of his own initiative .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hypothetical General Topic :

Hey , what should actual new shooters do , who's sum total knowledge and experience was a W&C Class ?

General Discussion :

Absolutely , work on your skills , to approach ( your concept ) of being reasonably competent .

First step - Thoughtful , deliberate practice , to become reasonably competent at the skills you've already been exposed to .

Next step - Learn next incremental level skills . Could be one on one with a knowledgeable mentor , could be from a formal class .

I don't think I know Kevin , nor have had first hand reports from GAPP students . But no doubt , Kevin is a Fine Fellow , and a Reasonably Competent Instructor .

But at the level of one step up from State Minimum W&C Class , it's still Fundimentals , and probably not anything Unique or Secret Squirrel Ninja Techniques . There are a large plethora of ( one step up from W&C ) Reasonably Competent training providers . And Welcome GAPP into their ranks ! Options and choices are Good !

clarksvilleal

Jul 28, 2019
    Hypothetical General Topic :

Hey , what should actual new shooters do , who's sum total knowledge and experience was a W&C Class ?

General Discussion :

Absolutely , work on your skills , to approach ( your concept ) of being reasonably competent .

First step - Thoughtful , deliberate practice , to become reasonably competent at the skills you've already been exposed to .

Next step - Learn next incremental level skills . Could be one on one with a knowledgeable mentor , could be from a formal class .

I don't think I know Kevin , nor have had first hand reports from GAPP students . But no doubt , Kevin is a Fine Fellow , and a Reasonably Competent Instructor .

But at the level of one step up from State Minimum W&C Class , it's still Fundimentals , and probably not anything Unique or Secret Squirrel Ninja Techniques . There are a large plethora of ( one step up from W&C ) Reasonably Competent training providers . And Welcome GAPP into their ranks ! Options and choices are Good !
    Good summary, Bigfoot. I certainly didn't intend to imply that Kirby (not Kevin, BTW) would be teaching any secret Ninja techniques. It should be obvious that my post was not directed at guys/gals like yourself or Blaster with many years of handgun experience who have posted 30,000 or 40,000 times on these Forums over the last 15 years.

I will concede, though, that your long division analogy was probably more accurate than my calculus analogy as it applies to this class. (I did pass calculus, but to be honest barely eked out a C and was glad to be done with it.)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    In my opinion, the O.P. isn't helping the I.P. get business.

That being said I never understood firearm instructors requiring prerequisites.

Taking basic classes does not make someone safe, it just means they completed a class. A 2 day or week long class does not make someone perpetually safe or skilled.

I don't care about the level of training my students have. Students have nothing to prove to me. I have to prove myself to them.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    In my opinion, the O.P. isn't helping the I.P. get business.

That being said I never understood firearm instructors requiring requisites.

Taking basic classes does not make someone safe, it just means the completed a class. A 2 day or week long class does not make someone perpetually safe or skilled.

I don't care about the level of training my students have. Students have nothing to prove to me.
    Spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom