• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    I just applied for my C&R license and although I have done my research, this is Maryland after all, so I have a few questions. Yes, I have read the FAQ thread, but I want to be sure of a couple of things. As I understand the situation, I do not need a HQL to purchase C&R weapons, regardless whether I buy them from out of state or in-state. If I buy them from out of state, I can have them shipped to my door. I have read that the shipping address does not have to be the address I put on my C&R application. That’s important because no one would be home during the day at the address on my application so I would want them shipped where someone can receive them. I sure don’t want a box sitting on my doorstep all day. If I buy them from out of state (yes, I know I have to watch the 10 round mag limit), there are no other Maryland issues I need to deal with. However, if I buy a C&R in Maryland, I still have to fill out the forms and do the 7 day wait thing. I have read that I can use orderly loose leaf sheets for my Bound Book. Can that be a 3 ring binder or do I have to create a "book" using a binding machine? Please let me know if anything I have said appears to be wrong.

Thanks,

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I don't know of a single seller of firearms in this country that would ship a firearm to an address that was NOT the address listed on the C&R license.

Doing so is asking for trouble in spades.

As for a box-o-guns sitting on your doorstep all day, shippers require an adult signature for firearms.

Leaving it lay around for others to pick up and carry away is frowned upon 99.9% of the time.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Best advice I received from this group was to signup for UPS My Choice and Fedex Delivery manager. Have the guns sent to your home address and when you receive the email notice that something is on its way, you can login to your account and have them held at the depot or an alternate controlled location (i.e. UPS or Fedex store.)

There are frequent free trials and discounts for UPS My Choice, usually mentioned here.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I'm not a lawyer, but I believe regulated firearms (e.g., a pistol) purchased within Maryland by a Maryland resident must still go through an FFL. Only out-of-state purchases can be shipped directly to (or from) a C&R licensee (to another C&R licensee). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference is that the federal Interstate Commerce clause usurps the state gun law when the gun crosses state lines, which isn't the case for intra-state transactions.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    Wow, this is why I asked the questions. I figured that someone would have to sign for it, that is why I was going to have the box directed to a location where that could happen. I had read that ATF will allow that. But I guess there is a big difference between what they would allow and what a dealer will do. That sounds like good advice about having the box held for me to pick up. I hope I didn't just throw $30 down the drain.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    It is my understanding that even a C&R handgun purchased in Maryland has to go through a FFL, or a transfer at a State Police post. But, that a HQL is not required for the C&R.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm not a lawyer, but I believe regulated firearms (e.g., a pistol) purchased within Maryland by a Maryland resident must still go through an FFL. Only out-of-state purchases can be shipped directly to (or from) a C&R licensee (to another C&R licensee). Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference is that the federal Interstate Commerce clause usurps the state gun law when the gun crosses state lines, which isn't the case for intra-state transactions.

It's not that the Commerce clause usurps the state gun law.

It's more fundamental, and jurisdictional. Maryland's laws stop at it's borders.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up on Gun Broker. I have seen a couple of web sites that said they would not sell a C&R handgun to Maryland even though there was no legal problem. The specific gun I was looking at had less than a 10 round mag. I am hoping to eventually be able to move back to America.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    This covers most of it:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3285579&postcount=583
    But,
    I've been out of state and tried to purchase a valid C&R item and I've had a gun shop not be familiar enough w/ the laws and not sell me the gun (Cabelas for example wouldn't honor a C&R)
    Some people won't do it.
    Some gunbroker sellers won't do it.
    There are no laws forcing them to sell to C&R using C&R paperwork so its up to them.
    Many out there don't want to spend the effort to differentiate and work to be compliant. Their store, their decision.
    BTW, think twice before throwing any junk mail away, My C&R license looked like simple junk mail to me and almost tossed it.

And YES, C&R does not do you any good within the state, it is for interstate transfers. Now, if you do a buy a C&R item in state, you MUST log it in your book, so if you face to face a C&R, long gun, you have to log it which means you need to get more info from them than you would if you did not have a C&R.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I don't know of a single seller of firearms in this country that would ship a firearm to an address that was NOT the address listed on the C&R license.

Doing so is asking for trouble in spades.

As for a box-o-guns sitting on your doorstep all day, shippers require an adult signature for firearms.

Leaving it lay around for others to pick up and carry away is frowned upon 99.9% of the time.

Most people won't do it, but some who take the time to understand the law will do it. Dennis Kroh is one of them. But, I agree - almost no one will do this because of the risk that it raises.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Most people won't do it, but some who take the time to understand the law will do it. Dennis Kroh is one of them. But, I agree - almost no one will do this because of the risk that it raises.

I'd love to buy some of Dennis Kroh's fine merchandise, but as an IT security professional, I simply refuse to do his BS credit card number by email routine. I've looked at -- and passed on -- a number of wants at a good price because of that nonsense.

BW460

Mar 8, 2012
    I appreciate all the responses. I still have much to learn and I appreciate that many of you are willing to share what you have learned. This C&R license may end up being a big issue for me... well, more so for my bank account. I've already found three weapons that I want and I don't even have the license yet.

Thank you.

Jul 1, 2012
    That's how it goes.
    Just wait til the BBTOH* shows up with your first purchase!

* Big Brown Truck of Happiness

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I appreciate all the responses. I still have much to learn and I appreciate that many of you are willing to share what you have learned. This C&R license may end up being a big issue for me... well, more so for my bank account. I've already found three weapons that I want and I don't even have the license yet.

Thank you.

Firearms.

Just sayin'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom