Just assembled the 6.5 creedmoor rifle and the GO gauge doesn't fit.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Hello all,

I am using a:

1) Criterion 28" Bull pre-shouldered barrel
    2) Zermatt Origin Action
    3) KRG Xray chassis
    4) TriggerTech trigger

I bought 1,2 and 4 new from NSS and bought 3 used. I also bought the Zermatt armorer's tool from NSS to allow for assembly. I was able to torque it down to ~75 / lbs without issue. However, when I try to load the GO gauge, the bolt won't lock. Are there things I should be looking for to fix or is this generally a show stopper?

Thanks.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Showstopper IMO. Something isn't made right or those parts aren't compatible. Short headspacing can be fixed but if they are supposed to work together and are new, then I'd be inclined to get something replaced. Only 1&2 should have any factor on headspacing. You sure the Criterion doesn't come short chambered so you can make it 'perfect' with your action? I'm not familiar w/ that receiver or specific assembly process, but are headspacing shims or anything ever used? You could measure the bolt face depth if you have a reference to compare it to what it should be.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Showstopper IMO. Something isn't made right or those parts aren't compatible. Short headspacing can be fixed but if they are supposed to work together and are new, then I'd be inclined to get something replaced. Only 1&2 should have any factor on headspacing. You sure the Criterion doesn't come short chambered so you can make it 'perfect' with your action? I'm not familiar w/ that receiver or specific assembly process, but are headspacing shims or anything ever used? You could measure the bolt face depth if you have a reference to compare it to what it should be.

Thanks. My next step was to remove the chassis and the trigger and check again. I have already had a case where one screw was too long and it interfered with the bolt. Could be something like that happening again.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Just disassembled it to the barrel, action and trigger. The GO gauge still doesn't fit. Will be calling NSS. Thanks.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I think I figured it out. The GO gauge (and the NOGO gauge for that matter) was on top of the extractor. Once I slid it into the bolt head under the extractor, the bolt was able to close. Going to try loading a live round from a magazine once I get one, but it seems to be ok for now.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I think I figured it out. The GO gauge (and the NOGO gauge for that matter) was on top of the extractor. Once I slid it into the bolt head under the extractor, the bolt was able to close. Going to try loading a live round from a magazine once I get one, but it seems to be ok for now.
    That was one of the things they made sure that I knew - they told me that I needed to insure that the gauges were under the extractor because it's a controlled feed bolt, so if you put in the gauge and try to close the bolt, you can actually bugger up the extractor.

I'm glad you got it figured out and that you didn't mess up your extractor.

We did somewhat different builds but with similar parts. Mine is also an Origin action, but I did mine with the Savage style barrel nut on a Shilen barrel, so it was as easy as closing the bolt on the GO gauge, and screwing the barrel in until I felt it just barely touch. Then I locked the barrel nut down with 50 lb ft of torque, checked it again, then attempted to run in the NO-GO gauge. After that it was set.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Thanks and I have no idea if I did or didn't. I will check it out soon.
    I doubt if you did - although the gauges are harder than a brass cartridge, you'd have to really have to push hard on the bolt handle trying to get it to seat to mess it up the extractor. Even if you did, I think you can probably replace it easily enough - small price to pay for a lifetime's worth of wisdom for it.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    You didn't hurt anything unless you beat on it/slammed the bolt back and forth with the hardened gauge in there.
    I doubt if you did - although the gauges are harder than a brass cartridge, you'd have to really have to push hard on the bolt handle trying to get it to seat to mess it up the extractor. Even if you did, I think you can probably replace it easily enough - small price to pay for a lifetime's worth of wisdom for it.

Yeah - I never "force" anything (unless I've tried everything else I can think of) so it's unlikely I did damage it. When I spoke to James from NSS, he implied that just trying to load the gauge outside the extractor was enough to ruin the extractor so I am leaving it as a possibility.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah - I never "force" anything (unless I've tried everything else I can think of) so it's unlikely I did damage it. When I spoke to James from NSS, he implied that just trying to load the gauge outside the extractor was enough to ruin the extractor so I am leaving it as a possibility.
    It happened to me once when I was doing my build and my extractor doesn't seem to be worse for wear. The rifle also shoots pretty well. This is a target from playing battleship at 100 yards three other day.

C7255F6C-588E-4B61-BC17-FD34AD8054DC.jpeg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    It's a theoretical possibility. I'd call it low order probability. Examine the extractor plate for dings, dents, and deflection. Since you didn't force it, I'd put money down that it's just fine. James has to say that "just in case" because the gauges are very hard. The extractor will deflect before the gauge does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom