• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Hey all, any recommendations for a junk yard, u-pick operation in St. Mary’s, Charles or Calvert? My brand new teenage driver just had her first minor accident. She banged a curb pretty hard, and while I haven’t seen it in daylight yet a flashlight inspection revealed a good size dent in the rim. I’m assuming I’ll have to replace it.

It’s an 04 LeSabre. I’m hoping that since they are so common, I’ll be able to find a match. Any ideas appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillbilly Funk

MDS Supporter
    Jun 19, 2021
    MoCo
    I used car-part.com to replace the tailgate on my truck when I couldn’t find anything local. Look for wheel instead of rim.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    The two places in Charlotte hall might have something. Both have Saturday hours for the people who work during the week.

psucobra96

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2011
    If you’re just looking for used you can check with Andy’s auto parts in Bladensburg, they can find old parts from all over the country. It’s not a pick and pull place, they scrap and keep inventory. Just give them a call and tell them what you are looking for.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    There’s a new junkyard on Rt 6 between Dentsville and Laplata.
    Good luck

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Thank you gents, I’ll give those a try. I haven’t had to hunt for parts in a long time, and the last time I did I found that the places closest to Hollywood (home base for me) weren’t keeping a big inventory. Scrap prices were high and stuff was getting sent off to the crusher fast.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Consider two or a set from TireRack. Good website, great customer service and logistics. I’m fairly certain they’ll sell a bare rim. A cheap steelie should be easily obtainable for minimal time outlay.

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Bang it out. If you're not losing air, you don't need a new rim, but should have it balanced.

I’m definitely going to see if we can repair the existing rim before getting a replacement. I have no experience with this other than the rim that I banged up on my first car the same way my daughter just did (karma, right? ). In that case, we bought the car from our neighbor’s used car lot, and they took pity on me by just giving me a replacement from their pile of parts out back. I’m not going to be that lucky this time, but I will have a shop look at it and see if they can bang it mostly round and balanced again.

I won’t have time to fool with it until next week, but we’ll see how it goes.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Brandywine in the Brandywine area right up off US301 they used to have a you pick it but they have decent stuff for the price since they pick the parts.

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Thanks again for suggestions. I asked a couple shops if we could hammer the damaged rim back into shape, but the consensus was that since it’s aluminum, that was a no-go. It would shatter. So I found what i needed on eBay, with a business that will provide a re-finished replacement and will take the damaged rim. They’ll either fix it and use it (I get $30 for it) or if it’s too badly damaged they’ll ship it back to me or give me $15. I have a feeling I’m going to get the $15, which is likely more than I’d get for scrap anyway so that’s fine.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I started going to the Brandywine “junk yard” in 1970.

1) I wish I had everything that went through those gates that at the time people thought was “worthless” (especially in the 60s and 70s).

B) I wouldn’t want to see a soil sample (though there is now active building there).

bohman

May 20, 2012
    St. Mary's
    Back on the road! The new wheel was a good match and 4 new tires are installed. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom