• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I was checking the display at FreeState when this little revolver caught my eye. It has the rough silhouette of a S&W M&P/Mod 10 but when I handled it I found that it is a JC Higgins model 88. At the time I knew that "JC Higgins" was a private brand of Sears (my first firearm was a JC Higgins bolt .22)
    It has an aluminum frame, steel barrel and cylinder and an unusual cylinder crane lock up- the cylinder/ejector pin is pulled forward to unlock it . It is a 9 shooter .22.
    When I saw the price tag, I almost ripped my jeans pulling out my wallet-$129.
    I have since put a couple of hundred rounds through it and it is a really nice little revolver. The finish is a little rough especially cylinder flutes and the frame is nicked up where the ejector star hits it, but it is perfectly serviceable.
    The manufacturer was High Standard and it is the same model as the Sentinel.
    I am tickled pink with this little gem ( and the price).
    DocAitch
    http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/823/mjbe.jpg

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Found this on another forum dated 2010 if it helps. Looks like your price was pretty good.

Sears was the retailer, High Standard was the manufacturer. Your firearm is a version of the HS Sentinel. The 583.8 number was the catalog number or Sears stocking number ( No need to X out the number ) The serial number doesn't jibe with anything I have on High Standard, so they have very well used a different serial number series on guns that were retailed under the Sears Store Brand. However High Standard started manufacturing the Sentinel in 1950's. Store brands are considered a cheaper or cheapened down version of the parent company's line and as such usually are valued 15 to 20 percent less that a comparable Name Brand gun. As a guide the Sentinel is listed at 180 in excellent, 105 in very good, 85 in good, 70 in fair and 45 in poor. The value is not high but the High Standard revolvers are reliable firearms .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom