• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    As per usual if I find something interesting, I have to keep looking for other variations. This is the "first" variation of the Type 89, while the other one https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/japanese-type-89-machine-gun.271037/ is the second, later one. There are some subtle and not-so-subtle differences between the two. This one caught my eye on ePay of all places (there are several of them on there) mostly because the price was way lower than the others. Looking at the listing, it still had the crate too which was a big plus. Then the serial number caught my eye and it was time to make them an offer :) After a shipping snafu where they managed to send me the wrong item, this arrived today - I guess UPS was running today (xmas eve) to give Santa a hand.

The "round counter" on top is missing, the rear sight is all bent up, and a few screws are missing but overall not too bad. The crate latches have been replaced, not the end of the world. Probably done when it was shipped back, since the originals are just hooks. The listing pics didn't show the front sight so I figured it was missing, but it was buried down in the bottom of the crate. The other one I got came with a spare set of front/rear sights which works out perfect. Bonus points for the alternate "remote" trigger assembly, numbered to the unit. And SUPER bonus points: an original, correct chronometer for the Type 89 Konishiroku Rukuoh-Sha and made by Seiko. It wasn't shown or mentioned in the listing so a very pleasant surprise. This watch is really hard to find and is actually worth more than the rest of the rig. So Santa smiled on me.
    45-1.JPG
    45-2.JPG
    45-3.JPG
    45-4.JPG
    45-5.JPG
    B1.JPG
    B2.JPG
    B3.JPG
    B4.JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    Close-ups of the chronometer, and the lense and mirror used to record it.
    Numbered to a different camera. The top line reads "89 Type" and I think the 2nd line is some variation of "Konishiroku Rukuoh" some of the symbols are on the data plate. Maybe someone that reads Japanese can translate?
    W1.JPG
    W2.JPG
    W3.JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    Comparison of the two types, the early one is in front. The earlier is longer and has a much different cover and drive assembly for the film. That necessitates a different center "ring" mount to allow the cover to be removed. Neither one of these seems to have a drive system that works, probably either gummed up or maybe a broken mainspring (hope not).
    both-1.JPG
    both-2.JPG
    both-3.JPG
    both-4.JPG
    both-5.JPG
    both-6.JPG

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I would never have thought you would find one or more of these on Evil Pay of all places. Glad you were able to negotiate a price that worked for all involved (love that newer feature, helps when the seller has no clue what to list something for and shoots for the moon). Congratulations and merry Christmas!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom