• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I was in a friend's basement and came across this Japanese military rifle (type 38 or 99?). I'm not a student of these, but I did get excited to see an intact mum. The stock is beat to piss and would need to be replaced. The rifle itself is complete, except that I think some parts of the anti-aircraft sights are missing.

Overall it looks ratty but would probably clean up nicely with some oil and is probably safe to shoot. I was thinking if making an offer. How much is it worth, if anything? I'm thinking $50? I know this pic kind of sucks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      64.8 KB · Views: 273

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    Looks like a Type 99 with fixed rear site. Missing dust cover. Can you post a pic of the characters before and after the serial number?

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I'm thinking its a Type 38, You can see the two gas vent holes on top of the receiver (type 99s only have one) and the model designation is vertical as opposed to horizontal like a type 99. I'd have to see more pictures to be completely sure though. As for value? Could be worthless or could be worth hundreds depending on what kind it is and what kind of shape it is in.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Also, a "beat to piss" stock in one person's view might be the ideal stock in the view of another. Honest wear on the original stock is not a bad thing. Changing it out could devalue the piece.

101combatvet

BANNED!!!
    Dec 7, 2011
    I'm thinking its a Type 38, You can see the two gas vent holes on top of the receiver (type 99s only have one) and the model designation is vertical as opposed to horizontal like a type 99. I'd have to see more pictures to be completely sure though. As for value? Could be worthless or could be worth hundreds depending on what kind it is and what kind of shape it is in.

Your right Type 38.... good eyes.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    get some more and clearer pics, if its not heavily rusted and the bore is decent it could definitely be worth restoring. its hard to value until we know the condition, what is missing, and whether its restoreable at all.

f its not restoreable, its still worth $50-$100 if its mostly complete just as a wall hanger.

Probably a bring back, Japanese rifles not my thing but I am sure you will get some good input.

arisakas are interesting in the surplus world because almost every single one is a bring back.

these things were handed out like candy to returning troops, they were brought back in huge numbers.

the sad thing is, there were so many of them after the war, and we were limiting the japanese to an extremely small defense force, so even after the troops got their fill on these, countless more were loaded into barges and dumped out into the ocean.

otherwise there would have been stockpiles of them that might have eventually been sold.

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    arisakas are interesting in the surplus world because almost every single one is a bring back.

I am not so sure about this because in 1974 or so I was in an Army Surplus shop in Upstate NY and there was a huge crate of these things, and these had been purchased at a government surplus auction. I tried to get my father to buy me one, but my mother was very anti-gun so it didn't happen. This was long before I had any interest in guns.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I'd still spring for it, if I was you, and that stock doesn't look as bad as you seem to think. Is that a bit of trench art on the left side?

If you don't want it, I'd be interested in picking it up as a restoration project.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thats an easy fix, I actually have the cocking piece/safety and firing pin spring that would fix that. If he wants to get rid of it let me know, i'd be interested in bringing it back to its former glory! That is if you don't want to buy it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom