• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bcjustin

Nov 27, 2023
    California MD
    You'll see this phrase a lot in here "concealed means concealed". If you're going to get your CCW and go through the trouble of carrying concealed, then you want your gun to be concealed as much as possible. You and I may not be bothered by someone who is printing, but do we really know if they're a law-abiding citizen with a CCW? They know but we might not know. And we know that we're law-abiding citizens who have gone through background checks and jumped various hoops to get our CCW, but other people in the store, restaurant, or wherever, they don't know that because they don't know us.

IMO, it's better to be totally concealed so I don't raise any eyebrows. Today's society is pretty screwed up and I'd guess that a lot of people could be on edge when out and about. Last thing I need when out shopping is to be printing and having some citizen who doesn't know me run to the store manager or call an officer. Sure, I'm legal and all, but I really don't want to be called out and have the police there causing a scene with yours truly. Much better to be in stealth mode and go undetected, so I can go about my business without interruption.

Plus, if there is someone in that store or restaurant or wherever, who has criminal intentions, he may not be planning on hurting anyone. But, if he sees that I'm carrying, I pose a huge threat to his plans and his life so guess who his #1 target to take out of play would be?
    Yea this is true, good points and something to think about, especially the final point.

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    Yea this is true, good points and something to think about, especially the final point.
    The final point is my primary concern. I'm not concerned about the old lady standing behind me in the grocery store checkout line. I'm much more concerned about bad actors who may be in the vicinity scoping things out. I want to blend in and look as harmless as possible, so I don't draw their attention, become their primary target, and wind up losing the element of surprise. Like Sun Tzu says in The Art of War, "appear weak when you are strong".

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    The final point is my primary concern. I'm not concerned about the old lady standing behind me in the grocery store checkout line. I'm much more concerned about bad actors who may be in the vicinity scoping things out. I want to blend in and look as harmless as possible, so I don't draw their attention, become their primary target, and wind up losing the element of surprise. Like Sun Tzu says in The Art of War, "appear weak when you are strong".
    Most people are completely unobservant and the chance of anyone behind you in line at the grocery store noticing that you are "printing" as you pull out your wallet is so slim as to be almost nil. I have stopped worrying about it -even in shorts and a t-shirt

Magerko

Nov 24, 2022
    Baltimore County
    Most people are completely unobservant and the chance of anyone behind you in line at the grocery store noticing that you are "printing" as you pull out your wallet is so slim as to be almost nil. I have stopped worrying about it -even in shorts and a t-shirt
    I don't worry about it either as the carry rig that I put together for me & my body type gives me excellent concealability. But it's not just standing in line to consider. If I bend over at a store, the bottom of my grip might print a bit, so I don't bend over, I'll squat if I need to pick something up. And if I'm reaching for something high up on a shelf, I don't worry about exposing my weapon as I wear long Carhartt T-shirts. But some people don't and if they reach up to the top shelf, they might expose their pistol.

I agree, the chances that someone might see a guy who is carrying printing might be slim, but it's not 0, it can and does happen. I just prefer that it doesn't happen to me. To each their own as everyone's mileage can and probably will vary.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    As has been stated here repeatedly, inadvertent exposing or printing is not a crime in MD.

Sheesh
    I really have no fear of an "interaction" with LEO....my concern is with the Karens of the world who are so scared of everything, they should stick with Amazon and Door Dash.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    . I want to blend in and look as harmless as possible, so I don't draw their attention, become their primary target, and wind up losing the element of surprise. Like Sun Tzu says in The Art of War, "appear weak when you are strong".
    IMO, appearing "weak" is an invitation to exchange your goods for a beat-down.

Appearing alert, and bearing no obvious signs of wealth, is an invitation for predators to seek easier and wealthier victims.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I prefer to tuck in my shirts, so I've had to adjust to wearing untucked while carrying IWB at about 1:00. For a quick trip to the store in summer, just an untucked tee shirt is fine, but the aggressive stippling on my P365 makes that a short term method.

I prefer to wear a tucked in tee shirt between the gun and my delicate skin, and wear an untucked button up shirt for cover.

In any case, rather than extra long shirts for cover, I prefer short tails, and I'll unbutton the bottom button on button-ups. The tail really doesn't have to be very long for concealment, especially when carrying IWB appendix.

Now the cooler weather is here, I can tuck my shirts in again as I prefer, and wear a light jacket for cover, though that has me carrying at about 3:30 or 4, rather than 1:00. It also means I have to keep the jacket on indoors. That's just what I'm wearing here in line at the pharmacy: very discrete.

I've never been one to wear sweat shirts, but I might challenge myself to start wearing them. I can see they could be almost ideal. I just hate wearing pullovers.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I prefer to tuck in my shirts, so I've had to adjust to wearing untucked while carrying IWB at about 1:00. For a quick trip to the store in summer, just an untucked tee shirt is fine, but the aggressive stippling on my P365 makes that a short term method.

I tuck my T-shirts, also, and wear one of these shirts underneath to keep something between gun and skin. These are smooth, so they don’t snag on grip like cotton A-shirts.

Amazon product ASIN B01CZT4Z9A

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I though about trying that, but it seemed a little weird to wear a T shirt over an A shirt. I really like to wear a button up shirt over a tee shirt, so that's what I've mainly been doing. It's just a departure for me to wear the button up untucked: I realize it's very common, so nobody thinks twice about it, but it's not my preference.

I do have tuckable holsters, but that seems like a last resort, and I've never carried that way, because of access limitations.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I do have tuckable holsters, but that seems like a last resort, and I've never carried that way, because of access limitations.

When I carry AIWB I tuck using a Tenicor Velo4 with DCC clips. It works very well, even with light colored T-shirts. With practice it is quickly accessible, even one handed.

rob.mwp

Jul 5, 2023
    Hazard County
    Lots of good responses.. I have been carrying ever since I got the holster. I like it a lot. Pretty comfortable, but after wearing it all day it does tend to make that area feel raw. It doesn't help that the grip on the walther PDP is like sandpaper. Feels great in my hand but it's sandpaper. It also doesn't help that it's dry out.

I have been mostly carrying at the 3 o'clock position but have tried quite a few different positions. I ordered a wedge to be able to try and get a more comfortable spot at the 1. I know the velo would have had all that, but I like the idea of an adjustable wedge... so we'll see.

I am starting to get less worried about printing. I don't tell anyone I have it and no one knows. Not even my good friends. Why bother. The conversation of guns puts some people on edge, no need to go down that road unless they take it there.

It's a tool I hope I never have to use but man in this day and age I am sure glad it's there.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Lots of good responses.. I have been carrying ever since I got the holster. I like it a lot. Pretty comfortable, but after wearing it all day it does tend to make that area feel raw. It doesn't help that the grip on the walther PDP is like sandpaper. Feels great in my hand but it's sandpaper. It also doesn't help that it's dry out.
    A thin layer of goon tape is all that's needed to tame the grip.

Grip.JPG

Pax

Feb 11, 2023
    Sparks Maryland
    I, like many of the posters have different body shapes and require finding the best position and holster. I started with the Alien system so that I could "experiment" with different configurations. AIWB just does not work. I moved it to to 4 o'clock and found that to be a good spot IWB. My preference was OWB but the Alien set-up was best under heavier clothing to conceal.
    I prefer leather and got an Urban Carry OWB hybrid. It has a solid retention system and the leather covers the entire slide on my Springfield subcompact. This set up for my body completely disappears with any shirt.

Snapper

Mar 29, 2014
    I carried a duty weapon for many years in another life with an OWB holster at 3 o'clock. But now that is no longer an option for me. I own a gym and go there every day wearing gym shorts or workout pants and a T-shirt. I would have to change clothes to put something on that used a belt. I found the VNSH holster to be great for me. https://vnsh.com/products/vnsh-holster
    Obviously I take it off when exercising, but I can leave the gym to run errands and don't have to change clothes. Just one option if you aren't wearing a belt.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RamDoug

Latest threads

Top Bottom