IT. IS. ALIVE!(In my best Dr. Frankenstein voice)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Is that a problem? Should I not shoot it? I followed the instructions for the press and that's how it came out. I guess I should back the die out?

You're good to go on these. For the next batch, back it off 1/8 turn at a time and see how it looks.

Good job!

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    You're good to go on these. For the next batch, back it off 1/8 turn at a time and see how it looks.

Good job!

Thanks, I've only done two so far. The first one seated way to far so I have to pull it. (Again following the instructions)
    I'll back the crimping die out a bit for the next trial.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Actually I prefer to start with the die backed out, then turn it it bit by bit.

To set seating/crimping.

If a single Seat/Crimp die:

Unscrew the seating stem a good bit.
    Start the die into the press.
    Using a sized and trimmed (if you trim) case, run the ram up to the top of the stroke.
    Screw the die in until you fell it touch the case, then unscrew it 1/2 - 1 turn.
    Tighten the lock nut.
    Using a factory or dummy round, run the ram up.
    Screw the seating stem in until you feel it touch the round.
    Back off 1/4 turn.
    Seat a bullet, it will not be seated enough.
    Turn the seating stem in bit by bit, reseating the bullet until you have the depth where you want it.
    Now, unscrew the seating stem again and screw the die down on the round until you feel it touch.
    Then screw it in a bit more, and run the case up. Check the crimp.
    Repeat until the crimp is correct.
    Tighten the lock ring.
    With the ram up and the round in place, screw the seating stem in until you feel it touch.
    Seat another one to double check.

Once you have a perfect round, using the bullet you are using, you can skip some of the bit by bit steps to get things adjusted faster.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena

To set seating/crimping.

Using a sized and trimmed (if you trim) case, run the ram up to the top of the stroke.
    Screw the die in until you fell it touch the case, then unscrew it 1/2 - 1 turn.
    Tighten the lock nut.
    Back off 1/4 turn.
    Turn the seating stem in bit by bit, reseating the bullet until you have the depth where you want it.
    Now, unscrew the seating stem again and screw the die down on the round until you feel it touch.
    Tighten the lock ring.
    With the ram up and the round in place, screw the seating stem in until you feel it touch.

Once you have a perfect round, using the bullet you are using, you can skip some of the bit by bit steps to get things adjusted faster.

Thanks for this info. I will definitely have to play with it more to get it perfect before I start running batches through.
    Hopefully the wife will have something to do tonight so I can go into the mancave for a while and get a dose of my new addiction!

No. Not yet. I'll be too tempted to crank off a round in the basement, which will really piss the wife off haha.
    Make a round without a primer and no powder. Run that through your rifle's action. Keep it as a reference for bullet seating depth.

Yeah, the crimp appears to be a bit aggressive. Back off the seating die a bit and try again. There should be no detectable bulge where the crimp is. Compare to a factory round to get the idea.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life

To set seating/crimping.

Tighten the lock nut.
    Back off 1/4 turn.
    Tighten the lock ring.

GREAT post!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    GREAT post!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

This works if you are dead set on using the seating die to crimp. Personally I seat only with that die and use a Lee factory crimp die to crimp the round. Yes its an extra step but much easier and less reliant on fiddling with the seating die.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    I kinda skimmed te other osts, but over cimping simply works the brass too much. It CAN lead to over pressure issues if you are loading close to max, but this is fairly rare. Whether you seat and crimp in one step, or seat and crimp separately is up to you. I only crimp as much as necessary. I will load several each of dummy rounds. I crimp just enough to eliminate setback. No more. Keep in mind that the more that mouth has to move to releas the bullet, the more the brass work hardens, and if you are not annealing, you will get fewer loadings from a particular piece of brass.

It does look good for your first round.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    See.

If you use separate seat and crimp dies, follow my instructors to up setting the seating stem. Then STOP. Do not screw the die body down to crimp.

If you use a standard crimp die, set it according to my instructions to set the crimp.

If you use a Lee Factory Crimp die, follow the instructions that came with the die.

Separate seat and crimp dies:

Tighten the lock nut.
    Back off 1/4 turn.

You are done setting the seating die.

Crimp Die

Unscrew the seating stem (if there is one) and screw the die down on the round until you feel it touch.
    Then screw it in a bit more, and run the case up (with a bullet seated). Check the crimp.
    Tighten the lock ring.

Seat and crimp another one to double check.

Done

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    Thanks for the advice of the posters in this thread.
    To date I have only loaded 20 rounds until I could check the them.
    I didn't have a lot of time to shoot today so I took 4 random rounds from the 20 I loaded and all of them chambered and fired perfectly.
    Thanks again to all. Now I can get rolling with the rest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom