It cost my Wife and I $7626.00 to legally Carry a Handgun in 44 States!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    NJ has thrown in the towel and has acknowledged that a "justifiable need" is no longer required for a NJ Carry Permit.

I'll be applying for a Non Resident NJ Carry Permit with the NJSP once I can establish what the training requirements are. Their current training requirements are vague.

Looks like I need the application and mental health forms filled out in triplicate and notarized.

I also need multiple references that have known me for 3+ years.

I need 4 passport photos.

NJSP appears to require 2 fingerprint cards. I guess I have to see if they are the FBI cards or NJ specific cards.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    NJ has thrown in the towel and has acknowledged that a "justifiable need" is no longer required for a NJ Carry Permit.

I'll be applying for a Non Resident NJ Carry Permit with the NJSP once I can establish what the training requirements are. Their current training requirements are vague.

Looks like I need the application and mental health forms filled out in triplicate and notarized.

NJSP appears to require 2 fingerprint cards. I guess I have to see if they are the FBI cards or NJ specific cards.
    F that mental health form and F those multiple references.
    I have a CA CCW: either you are on the radar or not. And if not issue the CCW.
    If CA brings that here, and they likely will, FTW it's lawsuit time.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    F that mental health form and F those multiple references.
    I have a CA CCW: either you are on the radar or not. And if not issue the CCW.
    If CA brings that here, and they likely will, FTW it's lawsuit time.
    I never claimed I support these hurdles or that anyone should attempt them without challenges.

I'm doing them and plan to explain the process. Nothing more.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

There is a lot of subjectivity in those requirements.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    There is a lot of subjectivity in those requirements.
    Yes there is. I did it years ago. For NJ residents they apply at their local township or borough. Who knows how many different requirements there are for what qualifies as "thoroughly familiar" with handgun safety.
    My BIL will be applying soon I'm sure, he is a resident. He'll be able to tell me what his township is requiring.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    Yes there is. I did it years ago. For NJ residents they apply at their local township or borough. Who knows how many different requirements there are for what qualifies as "thoroughly familiar" with handgun safety.
    My BIL will be applying soon I'm sure, he is a resident. He'll be able to tell me what his township is requiring.
    I applied as a non-resident with the NJSP Woodstown location.

i Contacted them previously and they emailed the application and instructions. It was fairly straight forward and simple.

you do need to take your fingerprints BEFORE submitting your application.

Everything else is straightforward and simple.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    you do need to take your fingerprints BEFORE submitting your application.

That is not true. It is an inconsistent practice. The local NJSP barracks (Troop B Sussex) took my app then gave me an info sheet to get fingerprinted after the app. You can do it before or after.

That said the app gets held at the local station until fingerprints and mental health come in. Then it goes to FIU in Trenton, then once approved to the county superior court.

Just make sure to leave your mental health form unsigned. You'll sign it at the station and the trooper accepting your app will witness and sign.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013

Safest thing to do is to go to one of the listed ranges and do their qual. Contrary to popular belief this is not new ground. Security guards and selected elites have had their permits for years. They all qualified. The same process applies to us peasants now that our rights have been restored.

The quals at those ranges are anything from shooting from low ready out to 15 yards, to full blown HQC-1 with kneeling, weak/strong hand and holster draw.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    That is not true. It is an inconsistent practice. The local NJSP barracks (Troop B Sussex) took my app then gave me an info sheet to get fingerprinted after the app. You can do it before or after.

That said the app gets held at the local station until fingerprints and mental health come in. Then it goes to FIU in Trenton, then once approved to the county superior court.

Just make sure to leave your mental health form unsigned. You'll sign it at the station and the trooper accepting your app will witness and sign.
    The NJSP Woodstown Barracks is doing things differently.

Woodstown Barracks want a receipt that your fingerprints have been taken, or an email receipt showing you have made an appointment for prints before they will accept your application.

They also allow you to sign the SP66 before submitting the application. They said my wife could witness my form and vise versa for hers.

This may change, but I have the above documented in email.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas

Woodstown Barracks want a receipt that your fingerprints have been taken, or an email receipt showing you have made an appointment for prints before they will accept your application.

They also allow you to sign the SP66 before submitting the application. They said my wife could witness my form and vise versa for hers.

My mental health form was signed by a Notary. So had no issues, with Woodstown.

I think the process at this stage varies on where you submit. Give it some time and I am sure state AG or governor will standardize the process. Or even the legislature.

There is actually nothing in the law that prevents any of them from not being able to submit the application through the mail.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013

Yes, it varies a lot. I am explaining the process as I've lived here 16+ years and under two police departments and NJSP. There is absolutely no consistency, so it isn't true that you can do the fingerprints before in all cases. What you experienced in Woodstown is different to what I experienced in Sussex and different to what a friend experienced in Woodbine.

NJSP gave me an info sheet which detailed the contributor case number and fingerprint process only AFTER I submitted. When I called the Sgt told me to submit the app first and then get printed after.

Also, one final thing - this process isn't set in stone. The AG and Governor has said that the process will be online in the FARS system in the near future. We already use FARS for FID cards and pistol purchase permits. The process is a bit different in that you enter the ORI and pay the CHRI fee (which means no fingerprinting every time you apply/renew). So it is likely that within the coming months that paper forms will be going away.

ryan_j

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2013
    My mental health form was signed by a Notary. So had no issues, with Woodstown.

I think the process at this stage varies on where you submit. Give it some time and I am sure state AG or governor will standardize the process. Or even the legislature.

There is actually nothing in the law that prevents any of them from not being able to submit the application through the mail.

The AG has said that it will be online in FARS eventually. What does need to happen is that the judges need to be removed from the process because they don't have to verify justifiable need anymore.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    The AG has said that it will be online in FARS eventually. What does need to happen is that the judges need to be removed from the process because they don't have to verify justifiable need anymore.

I agree… Unlike Maryland, what we haven’t heard out of New Jersey is anyone getting their applications granted since the Bruen Decision.

We haven’t even heard of any questionable denials coming from New Jersey yet, other then those that should obviously be denied.

Next week is coming up on the 60 days. However NJ does have 90 days. 60 days is how much time the NJSP and local police have of processing apps to get it to the courts to process.

So in the next 30-40 days we should start hearing about some applications getting approved.

Hopefully we will soon start hearing about references being called, if they do. As well as any court appearances via zoom are scheduled.

The officer at Woodstown, is under the impression that some will get scheduled a hearing, and some won’t. He has no idea whom will or won’t be scheduled at this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom