It cost my Wife and I $7626.00 to legally Carry a Handgun in 44 States!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I think that you cannot get a PA permit unless you have one from your state of residence.

From the PA State Police website:
    Persons who are 21 years of age or older and are NOT Pennsylvania residents may apply for a license. Submit a completed application for a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms to any Pennsylvania county sheriff's office along with the required fee. A Pennsylvania license cannot be issued to a resident of another state who does not have a current license, permit, or similar document to carry a firearm issued by their home state.

I think that open carry, outside Philadelphia, is allowed without a permit.
    That is correct. At this time PA only issues permits to non residents who hold a permit from their home state.

They will ask to see it, and if your resident permit expires before you send PA an updated resident permit they will revoke your PA permit.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    As long as Democrats hold the majority in one of the three branches of government. National Reciprocity wont pass.

It probably will never pass. The R's don't want it as much as the D's.

GW Bush had both house and Senate and so did Trump for the first1/2.

I truly believe that the NRA does not want unfettered access to guns with any restrictions. If we had that we would not need the NRA. Politicians the same way. Election time...."i will fight for your guns" When a bill comes up.....crickets

Nobody

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Then don't do it.

My wife and I do it because we are fortunate enough to be able to afford it. Maybe one day we won't be able to afford it, so we will count our blessings.

My main point is it shouldn't be so expensive and burdensome to exercise a right.

FWIW, renewals are almost always cheaper since most don't require follow up training and prints.
    Bravo. And the reason is because you're a freedom-loving American.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I was pondering the NY/SCOTUS Case.

Let's speculate that SCOTUS says all states MUST become shall issue for residents and non residents, and let's say SCOTUS states that fees and training can't exceed current statues.

This is my guestimate of the fees to get the necessary permits so we could carry in 50 States:

-Oregon $115 Application x2, $30 Online Training x2, plus Travel for In Person Application

-California $150 Application x2, $50 LiveScan x2, plus Travel for In Person Application (I don't think I'll need additional straining based on a summary read of the current law)

-Colorado $135 Application,
    plus Travel for In Person Application (I don't think I'll need additional straining based on a summary read of the current law)

One big trip to Oregon, California and Colorado would run my wife and I at least $1500.00 for flight/rental car/fuel/hotels/food. Much more for us to make a round trip drive with the camper.

New York $115 x2 Application/Prints, $200 Training x2, plus Travel for In Person Application

New Jersey $50 Application x2, $20 4 Passport Photos x2, $200 Training x2

One big trip to New York and New Jersey would run my wife and I at least $600.00 for fuel/hotels/tolls/food.

Illinois $300 Application x2, $150 Training x2, LiveScan $50 x2, Postage $15 x2

Just adding those 6 states would cost us at least $5460.00.

Add that to the $6579.00 we have already paid and we're at $12,039.00 for two people to carry in all 50 States, until time for renewal.

Oh, I forgot Hawaii...

Last edited:

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    I was pondering the NY/SCOTUS Case.

Let's speculate that SCOTUS says all states MUST become shall issue for residents and non residents, and let's say SCOTUS states that fees and training can't exceed current statues.

This is my guestimate of the fees to get the necessary permits so we could carry in 50 States:

-Oregon $115 Application x2, $30 Online Training x2, plus Travel for In Person Application

-California $150 Application x2, $50 LiveScan x2, plus Travel for In Person Application (I don't think I'll need additional straining based on a summary read of the current law)

-Colorado $135 Application,
    plus Travel for In Person Application (I don't think I'll need additional straining based on a summary read of the current law)

One big trip to Oregon, California and Colorado would run my wife and I at least $1500.00 for flight/rental car/fuel/hotels/food. Much more for us to make a round trip drive with the camper.

New York $115 x2 Application/Prints, $200 Training x2, plus Travel for In Person Application

New Jersey $50 Application x2, $20 4 Passport Photos x2, $200 Training x2

One big trip to New York and New Jersey would run my wife and I at least $600.00 for fuel/hotels/tolls/food.

Illinois $300 Application x2, $150 Training x2, LiveScan $50 x2, Postage $15 x2

Just adding those 6 states would cost us at least $5460.00.

Add that to the $6579.00 we have already paid and we're at $12,039.00 for two people to carry in all 50 States, until time for renewal.

Oh, I forgot Hawaii...

Keep in mind for Hawaii, you would need 5, one for each county. As a permit issued in one county is NOT valid in another county. Therefore you would have to travel to all 5 county sheriffs office, or Oahu police department. Thankfully your training that you allready have would be enough. Except some county sheriffs May require additional live fire.

Unless one travels to Hawaii often, or plans on staying there a while. IMHO it isnt Worth the hassle, unless they change it to to be done through the mail.

What is interesting to note though. NOTHING in Hawaii law requires that the LEO does an application to be submitted in person. However on the same note, nothing requires the LEO to accept applications through the mail, or online either. How the LEO accepts and application is up to the LEO.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    There will be new cases filed in the courts pertaining to various issues of permitting from various different states once SCOTUS issues their opinion.

I am already aware of several cases ready to be filed against states that don’t allow any reciprocity, or allow for non-resident permitting.

Other cases will be filed too, all depending on how SCOTUS writes their opinion.

how the courts handle these cases after SCOTUS though is anyones guess at this point.

Changes are coming… what is unknown though.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    GW Bush had both house and Senate and so did Trump for the first1/2.

I truly believe that the NRA does not want unfettered access to guns with any restrictions. If we had that we would not need the NRA. Politicians the same way. Election time...."i will fight for your guns" When a bill comes up.....crickets

Nobody

There are many reasons it won’t pass anytime soon beyond the issue between R’s and D’s.

Many states making a nice chunk of change from Non-resident permits as well as instructors Make money too from some states.
    Money always talks. If reciprocity were passed. Those states loose money.

Illinois charges $300 for each non resident.

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    LOL and the democrats, NAACP, SPLC, and other anti-american orgs complain about voter id because its "too expensive" our founders gave us the right to bear arms. radicals gave us universal suffrage. SHM and its often the "Main groups" panderd to by the aforementioned i carry a gun because of.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I personally think mandatory training is B.S.
    There's something to be said for being made aware of the legal issues involved in a self-defense shooting.

This shouldn't take more than an hour or so, to cover the obvious points. Of course, it could be dealt with by a booklet rather than a live instructor. Awareness of the existence of CCW insurance is also useful information. Companies that insure CCW licensees often provide online information that covers the topic.

The state-to-state patchwork complexity of firearms laws is a trap looking to be sprung on the unwary. But there's no easy way to deal with that mess. Reciprocity will eventually be necessary; with 42 states already being shall-issue or Con Carry, some way of dealing with the ridiculous patchwork of laws must be found.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    There's something to be said for being made aware of the legal issues involved in a self-defense shooting.

This shouldn't take more than an hour or so, to cover the obvious points. Of course, it could be dealt with by a booklet rather than a live instructor. Awareness of the existence of CCW insurance is also useful information. Companies that insure CCW licensees often provide online information that covers the topic.

The state-to-state patchwork complexity of firearms laws is a trap looking to be sprung on the unwary. But there's no easy way to deal with that mess. Reciprocity will eventually be necessary; with 42 states already being shall-issue or Con Carry, some way of dealing with the ridiculous patchwork of laws must be found.
    DC's process was actually not terrible. Just submitted the application and fingerprints this week. I was told 90 days. Sounds promising.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    DC's process was actually not terrible. Just submitted the application and fingerprints this week. I was told 90 days. Sounds promising.
    Do the math and it's terrible

Class Fees
    Travel to Class and Fuel Cost
    Ammunition Cost
    Application Fees
    Fingerprint Fee
    Time off Work to go to MPDC
    Travel to MPDC, Parking, and Fuel Cost

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Do the math and it's terrible

Class Fees
    Travel to Class and Fuel Cost
    Ammunition Cost
    Application Fees
    Fingerprint Fee
    Time off Work to go to MPDC
    Travel to MPDC, Parking, and Fuel Cost
    That's true. $75 application fee + $35 fingerprint fee, and I had to make a second trip. It's a pain in the ass, for sure, but nowhere near the pain that Maryland tries to inflict.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Wife received her CT permit. Total time was 115 days.

Still waiting for mine since they returned my packet twice over training documents. I'm looking at another 60+ days until mine arrives.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    I've been to almost all 50 states (business & pleasure) and some I don't care to return to. Have enough to get me the states I commonly travel and won't bother with anything else; not collecting stamps for bragging rights. Didn't tally cost but it was maybe $300 or so for applications and fingerprints. Used the cheapest postage with no insurance on one and another took me a trip across the border and out in less than an hour with card in hand. Luckily no training or quals needed in my case. I'm only out of the dirty dozen states and don't really care, but that's me. The effort of going through the registration process and certainly the cost isn't worth the hassle. I can still transport through.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've been to almost all 50 states (business & pleasure) and some I don't care to return to. Have enough to get me the states I commonly travel and won't bother with anything else; not collecting stamps for bragging rights. Didn't tally cost but it was maybe $300 or so for applications and fingerprints. Used the cheapest postage with no insurance on one and another took me a trip across the border and out in less than an hour with card in hand. Luckily no training or quals needed in my case. I'm only out of the dirty dozen states and don't really care, but that's me. The effort of going through the registration process and certainly the cost isn't worth the hassle. I can still transport through.
    Are you saying I made this post to brag about the cost?

I posted this to show how much of a burden it is to acquire permits in various states.

Last edited:

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Are you saying I made this post to brag about the cost?

I posted this to show how much of a burden it is to acquire permits in various states.
    Not about the cost but possibly collecting "states". You have useful information but costs will definitely vary per individual circumstances. I mentioned it was a hassle and sure some wouldn't be traveling to many states. If a MD resident wanted the best bang for their buck then a FL permit should do. Plenty of Marylanders I know have never left the state.

Good luck in your quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom