Is voluntary registration using an MSP 77r still possible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • F-Troop

May 18, 2013
    I inherited a couple of AK's from a relative. The last time this happened was in 2003 and I was able to complete form 77r and just register the regulated firearms.

i heard a rumor that that was no longer legal. Getting an answer from the right office at MSP is difficult.

Does anyone know for sure? Can I use a 77r without going through a dealer?

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I inherited a couple of AK's from a relative. The last time this happened was in 2003 and I was able to complete form 77r and just register the regulated firearms.

i heard a rumor that that was no longer legal. Getting an answer from the right office at MSP is difficult.

Does anyone know for sure? Can I use a 77r without going through a dealer?

Yes: you can still do a voluntary transfer at any MSP Barrack. All transferable regulated firearms are still transferable directly through MSP. My wife voluntarily transferred several of her father's regulated firearms after his passing. We did the transfer(s) at the Glen Burnie Barrack just two or three months ago. I'd get those AKs transferred ASAP.

F-Troop

May 18, 2013
    Come October it will be illegal to transfer Maryland defined assault weapons. AKs will be banned, so get it done sooner than later.

Great advice. My assumption is that you got the forms, took them home and completed them at home without lugging the firearms to the barracks.

Correct?

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    Great advice. My assumption is that you got the forms, took them home and completed them at home without lugging the firearms to the barracks.

Correct?

Unfortunately, you will need to take them to the Barrack. Leave them inside the vehicle cased and unloaded. Talk to the Trooper(s) about what you need to do, and they will walk you through the rest of the process.

In the past, they let me pick up the forms to start the paperwork instead of filling the forms out in the lobby of the barrack. I have a feeling they might not allow it now because of high transfer volume. I'm sure forms are in high demand and hard to come by.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Someone needs to verify the serial number. That's why you have to take it to the Barracks.

Of course, leave it in the trunk. They like their duty shifts to be quiet and uneventful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom