Is there going to be a class by MSI or the like on what Bill281 is going to encompass

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    I was wondering if there was going to be something put on that would let use MD'ers know whats what in laymans terms? Sometimes hearing it is easy more understood then reading it, and we can ask live questions.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    There's a thread for non lawyer about it. Not really that hard to understand the bs they created.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'm trying to think how we could accomplish some sort of info session for it... but offhand, I'm thinking it will be a pretty big undertaking.

In the meantime, the thread mentioned above is as good as there is at the moment.

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    Thanks guys. So let me ask you this, I have too many times today seen people state that the laws are so poorly written its crazy. How can those laws stand in time? What I mean is, if they are barely able to be understood, does that leave them up for interpretations?

It just seems ( and may seem like this to others ) that something thats not written well/clearly, the law can be molded into whatever is at hand at that time.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Thanks guys. So let me ask you this, I have too many times today seen people state that the laws are so poorly written its crazy. How can those laws stand in time? What I mean is, if they are barely able to be understood, does that leave them up for interpretations?

It just seems ( and may seem like this to others ) that something thats not written well/clearly, the law can be molded into whatever is at hand at that time.

JMO, but..........

As long as "they" feel they have unbridled power and authority in the state, from the beat to the bench, they feel emboldened and impervious.

bogus130

Jan 23, 2013
    who makes the final interpretations? There seems to be a lot of guessing about what guns will be allowed and what will not. Who makes that final decision? Who makes the decision on whether we will need training, fingerprinting, etc. to take possession of a handgun if we bought before Oct. 1 but picking it up after?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

We will see when the NRA sues the crap out of the state after October.

who makes the final interpretations? There seems to be a lot of guessing about what guns will be allowed and what will not. Who makes that final decision? Who makes the decision on whether we will need training, fingerprinting, etc. to take possession of a handgun if we bought before Oct. 1 but picking it up after?

Unfortunately, the MSP. The MSP has been given an expanded role under SB281.

Hopefully, the current lawsuit will temper their decision making.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

What happens if you bought it May 31, submitted the paperwork on June 5 with the 8 day release request, pick it up at the end of June, and the Form 77r is finally reviewed on October 1, 2013?

With 55,000 applications pending right now and MSP now allowing the release of firearms after 8 days, there could be a lot of people that have their handgun in their possession prior to October 1, 2013, but do not have their Form 77r completed prior to October 1, 2013. That will be a lot of pissed off people if they will then be required to obtain a Handgun Qualification License ("HQL") since the main reason for the current rush is to avoid all the SB281 BS. A HQL requires, among other things, a $50 fee, an extensive FBI background check wherein the applicant needs to submit fingerprints and pay for the background check, training, and the showing of competency with the handgun.

Who will determine whether a HQL license will be needed on Form 77r's reviewed after September 30, 2013? Why MSP of course, which is under the control of the executive branch (a/k/a Martin O'Malley).

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    What happens if you bought it May 31, submitted the paperwork on June 5 with the 8 day release request, pick it up at the end of June, and the Form 77r is finally reviewed on October 1, 2013?

You put in the order before 2013-10-01, therefore you are grandfathered in.

bogus130

Jan 23, 2013

With 55,000 applications pending right now and MSP now allowing the release of firearms after 8 days, there could be a lot of people that have their handgun in their possession prior to October 1, 2013, but do not have their Form 77r completed prior to October 1, 2013. That will be a lot of pissed off people if they will then be required to obtain a Handgun Qualification License ("HQL") since the main reason for the current rush is to avoid all the SB281 BS. A HQL requires, among other things, a $50 fee, an extensive FBI background check wherein the applicant needs to submit fingerprints and pay for the background check, training, and the showing of competency with the handgun.

Who will determine whether a HQL license will be needed on Form 77r's reviewed after September 30, 2013? Why MSP of course, which is under the control of the executive branch (a/k/a Martin O'Malley).

Well that isn't promising. I realllyyy doubt Omalley cares if the people caught in this fiasco are angry with him, considering most already are angry because of SB281. I could also see if you don't have your HQL when the paperwork hits the Troopers desk, then you go to the back of the line till you get your license.

Is there a deadline that they must present this data to the public by or can they just start disapproving people Oct. 1st and say, "Hey, the law says you need a HQL License andddd you don't have one...Disapproved"??

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    There have been several of these events held throughout the area. Nick Kipke sponsored one a while back that had MSI and NRA representatives in attendance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom