• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    So my memory is failing me for this terminology question. I bought an upper with no iron sights. The front gas block is railed, but lower than the upper receiver rail. I need to get a set of iron sight where the front sight is taller, and use them or a fixed front, flip rear sight. What are the two different size sights called? Offset iron sights? High profile front sight? Thanks

Attachments

• upper.jpg
      upper.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 75

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I don't know the answer, but that hand guard looks odd to me with a railed sight block instead of a fixed front sight. ;)

I don't think I've seen that combination before.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I think this is what you want?

If you've got a gas block with a lowered picatinny rail (usually about 0.22" lower, or 0.9" over the barrel bore centre), you'll want the Tall sight to compensate for the lower picatinny rail. Cast steel; Adjustable elevation with the standard AR-15 sight tool; Weight: 77g; Dimensions: 35 x 46 x 53mm (L x W x H) (Tall) or 35 x 46 x 46mm (Short)

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    So my memory is failing me for this terminology question. I bought an upper with no iron sights. The front gas block is railed, but lower than the upper receiver rail. I need to get a set of iron sight where the front sight is taller, and use them or a fixed front, flip rear sight. What are the two different size sights called? Offset iron sights? High profile front sight? Thanks
    That sounds about right but it will need to be a metal sight. you are looking for gas block height front sight. Also when firing for a long periods do not touch the sight it will be hot. Also verify that the gas block is straight and not canted to left or right slightly. Or another more expensive option is look at an ultradyne sight system, the front sight threads on with the muzzle device.

Sirex