Instinct Shooting with Dan Horner of Sig and GBRS.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Awesome, video. Those AMU boys know their stuff. 10,000 a year is possible with a 22 I guess. $ becomes an issue. 200 rounds a weekend is very doable. Makes a conversation kit worth looking into.

As a rifleman, I really like that 7 min mark. An old Marine in WV was shooting his m14 from the 200 yard sitting position. He told his class that position is more important than anything. To prove it, he slung up , got into position and fired one round. Then had a student blindfold him and he fired 9 more shots in the 10 ring.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Great video. Is this type of shooting allowed at local ranges?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Probably not, thats why people cant shoot as well as they think they can.
    Or are stuck in one methodology becuase of inability to try differing techniques.
    Ole Zeke probably wouldn't give a dam, as long as you dont shoot yourself and keep them in the dirt.

I know I sure dont when I go over to the farm, or in my own yard to blow some cans or metal targets up.
    Every blue moon.
    Pistols aren't my thing but everyone needs a place to shoot/try different things.
    I know some on here been around had training by the best/w resources but dam its a frickin gun shoot the dam thing.
    I think guns are like playing the guitar, if it was hard there wouldn't be so many good players or people playing them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    This video doesn't seem to be endorsing point shooting as a primary shooting technique, and is rather pointing out that a good grip lets you get away with more from a compromised shooting position. It does seem to be strongly endorsing a good grip, which is a not a controversial statement. However, I would add that trigger pull and grip often interact with each other, because many many people wind up modifying their grip while pulling the trigger through tightening their trigger hand.

What Horner is talking about around 14:30 is what Ben Stoeger calls "predictive shooting", and that's a real thing... if you have enough quality reps with enough rigor to get away with it.

It also goes without saying that Horner is a top-tier shooter (even if mostly a 3gun guy at this point), and your results may vary...

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    On the one hand, nothing really new here. Craig Douglas has long taught shooting from the "2" and from the "3" (positions in the drawstroke), and he didn't invent it either. On the other hand, many here may not be aware that this is a thing (and has been a thing for a long time). So good on Blaster for posting it.

I didn't get the impression that anyone in the video was claiming ownership of this stuff. But it's also good to know/understand that there really isn't anything new under the sun. Sometimes people come up with something "new", not realizing that it was already tried and been moved on from for a variety of reasons.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You can easily shoot from the high ready pressing out from your chest at ranges.I do it all the time.
    You can close your eyes while you're "aimed in", press the trigger and see how accurate you actually are.
    You can tape your sights up and shoot and see how self defense accurate you are.
    You can use your middle finger to press the trigger to shoot and see how accurate you are.
    You can look at a point on the target without using sights and see how accurate you can be.
    The whole point of all of this is that you can concentrate on shooting different ways and land effective shots.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've been discussing the shooting with my nephew a lot during the times he's been to the house recently. He's a guy who really knows how to shoot because for a decade, he did a whole bunch of it with Special Forces. He has an estimated round count of roughly 1.5 million.

He also talks about the importance of "combat shooting," or shooting for effect rather than to make small little groups. He showed me some things about proper grip with a pistol that I think are going to be game changers, but like some in this thread have said, it's all just theory until you put A LOT of rounds downrange.

I can't wait to get out to the range to try to work on some of this stuff to see if I can employ it to become faster and more effective overall.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Great video. I agree with hogarth in the assessment that nobody in the video is "claiming" the principles and techniques. Tools in the toolbox.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    I've been discussing the shooting with my nephew a lot during the times he's been to the house recently. He's a guy who really knows how to shoot because for a decade, he did a whole bunch of it with Special Forces. He has an estimated round count of roughly 1.5 million.

He also talks about the importance of "combat shooting," or shooting for effect rather than to make small little groups. He showed me some things about proper grip with a pistol that I think are going to be game changers, but like some in this thread have said, it's all just theory until you put A LOT of rounds downrange.

I can't wait to get out to the range to try to work on some of this stuff to see if I can employ it to become faster and more effective overall.
    I shoot fifty rds per week or @ 2,400 for the year. 7yds usually; no farther than 50’; 25rds point shooting at a 9” plate…25rds bullseye. I need to do more of the former, and concentrate on my grip. At 82 I don’t expect to win any contests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom