• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Hey guys,

I just ordered my build kit from PSA for a 16 inch mid length gas system AR with 1/7 twist. Now take it easy on me, ive popped my reloading cherry on 45 ACP, contributed to make that Dillon sticky up top, and have tried to keep the dumb questions to my self.

Now with how the market is now, it sucks to expermint with. Lucky my neighbor is also a reloader and I will be able to try a few different types of 224 bullets instead of buys lots of 100 and find out they don't work. Heres what im thinking.

62-69 grain bullets, try my ass off to find some ramshot tac. Powder wise on the shelf I have a lb of varget, two of imr 4064, and I'm about to go by a pound of reloader 15 from a local shop on lunch.

Does this sound like a solid game plan? look for 62-69 grain bullets and then wait for some tac to show up?

My use for the rifle will be 0-300 yard paper puncher/ fox or coyote smoker. Id like once I find a load that it likes, to make up 500-1k and sit them off to the side.

Take it easy on me, this is the first rifle cartridge I will be loading and im just worried about making it work and cycle an ar 99.9999% of the time.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well since you already have that pound of Varget sitting on your shelf , give it a try first.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Personally, for .223/5.56 I like H-335 or W-748.
    (My AR-HBAR really likes 23.0 gr of H-335 w/ Sierra 69 gr Matchkings!!)

Here's a screenshot of some .223 data.

Attachments

• 223 cropped.pdf
      40.7 KB · Views: 140
    Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ilike H-335 and 748 for .223 also.

But they are harder to find that Varget and Reloader 15. :(

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you want best accuracy with nominal spin rate, then 69gr to 77gr is ideal for 1/7.

Did you buy a .223 or 5.56mm barrel? Big difference.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'm a fan of H335 as well.

Always burned clean and was consistent. As long as I didn't load them too hot.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I am down to my last pound of H335. Had to pay $29 for that. :eek:

I have some BL-C(2) I will be using from there.

RDavidP

Mar 8, 2007
    Frederick
    For those that are using varget, how many grains of powder and what grain bullet are you using? I was trying to load 24.9 grains of Varget with Sierra 69 grain matchking. I weighed my powder charge on my Lee Powder scale, poured the powder into the brass with a funnel, and that 24.9 grains of Varget almost filled that brass up. I went to seat the bullet to the C.O.A.L suggested by Sierra, which is 2.260", and I heard powder crunch. Sierra says that 25.3 grains of Varget is the accuracy load. There is no way I can fit that in the case. I am using Remington .223 brass. I also tried IMR 3031, but had the same results at a lower charge of 21.5 grains. Using Hodgon's data, IMR 3031 minimum is 21 grains and max is 22.5.

I loaded with H335 for now, but would love to use Varget or IMR3031 as I have plenty of those powders.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Compressed loads are fine.

On Hodgdon reloading data online, 25.0 grains are shown as compressedwith Varget and a heavier bullet. So I would suspect 24.8 might be compressed.

But I hope you did not start by loading this heavy.

RDavidP

Mar 8, 2007
    Frederick
    Compressed loads are fine.

On Hodgdon reloading data online, 25.0 grains are shown as compressedwith Varget and a heavier bullet. So I would suspect 24.8 might be compressed.

But I hope you did not start by loading this heavy.

If you look at the sierra reloading data for a 69 grain matchking 24 grains of varget is a starting load. Sierra shows loads up to 26 grains of varget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom