• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    You should always have your snot picker outside the trigger guard, until the muzzle of the firearm is pointed at the target; and not until you intend to destroy that target.

If you insist on using technical terms, get it right:
    Keep your bugger pick off the bang stick. :)

But; yes that is GOOD advice!

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I try to avoid "me too" posts, but this seems important.

I agree with the suggestion to practice a lot of dry firing at home. Just make sure the gun is unloaded first! Then concentrate on reinforcing the good habits you have and avoiding the bad habits. This will improve your shooting in many ways, including some not discussed so far in this thread.

Agreed. Don't forget to get into the habit of checking the firearm to make sure it is unloaded with the weapon pointed in a safe direction. I am anal about it. Every time pick up a gun, I check it first thing. Before it goes in the bag at home or the range, check it. Putting it a way in the safe, or taking it out, check it. I teach my kids the same practice.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Agreed. Don't forget to get into the habit of checking the firearm to make sure it is unloaded with the weapon pointed in a safe direction. I am anal about it. Every time pick up a gun, I check it first thing. Before it goes in the bag at home or the range, check it. Putting it a way in the safe, or taking it out, check it. I teach my kids the same practice.

Last night on the news they talked about a (SOLDIER?) that shot his friend in the face, he was holding and EMPTY gun in his face trying to scare him out of the hiccups. The EMPTY gun went off when he pulled the trigger and killed his friend.
    This is where the all guns are always loaded thing comes from. All guns are loaded until you prove they are not.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Well, the thing with a Glock is that you can buy a .22LR rimfire conversion...

I have been reading mixed reviews on those conversion kits and the price on them seems to be from around $290 to $400 depending on witch one you get. For that price you can almost get a 2nd handgun.

Thanks
    Robert.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN

That I have down pat. Every-time I pick up a firearm I check the chamber well making sure it is pointed in a safe direction. As I said the main issue I have is if I am not thinking about it I will find my finger on the trigger. I will break that habit just a mater of when.

Thanks
    Robert

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    Last night on the news they talked about a (SOLDIER?) that shot his friend in the face, he was holding and EMPTY gun in his face trying to scare him out of the hiccups. The EMPTY gun went off when he pulled the trigger and killed his friend.
    This is where the all guns are always loaded thing comes from. All guns are loaded until you prove they are not.

He broke 2 commandments. 1) Always assume a gun is loaded. 2) Never point a barrel at something you don't want to destroy.

Thanks
    Robert

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    The wife and I went to a gun show this past spring because she wants a new gun and wanted to go shopping. We were at one vendors table and my wife asked to see a certain pistol. The nice person behind the counter picked it up and handed it to her. I stopped her QUICKLY and took it from her to make sure it was unloaded. The person behind the counter said "don't you trust me? It's not loaded" I very politely said "Sorry but No, I don't trust anyone except ME when it come to firearms safety. It's not mine, and I ASSUME EVERY gun is loaded until I check it" I don't know whether it was this person not checking it or because I told her I didn't trust her, but she didn't seem very happy after that. Sorry, it's MY life here. Too many bad stories about EMPTY firearms that just happen to go BOOM!!

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    The wife and I went to a gun show this past spring because she wants a new gun and wanted to go shopping. We were at one vendors table and my wife asked to see a certain pistol. The nice person behind the counter picked it up and handed it to her. I stopped her QUICKLY and took it from her to make sure it was unloaded. The person behind the counter said "don't you trust me? It's not loaded" I very politely said "Sorry but No, I don't trust anyone except ME when it come to firearms safety. It's not mine, and I ASSUME EVERY gun is loaded until I check it" I don't know whether it was this person not checking it or because I told her I didn't trust her, but she didn't seem very happy after that. Sorry, it's MY life here. Too many bad stories about EMPTY firearms that just happen to go BOOM!!

If you took it from your wife hands I can understand why you are in the dog house. A smart man would have asked his wife to double check the chamber to make him feel better because people make mistakes. It would also reinforce the habit for her to always check the chamber.

Thanks
    Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom