• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Sikorsky at Pax River has filed for upcoming layoffs. 176 people, late April.

Will they move to a new vendor or contract? Or is this a real draw down?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    They all supported 53K development testing, which is winding down. Since there aren't any other test programs to jump to, they'll have to find another company.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Is it a support contract or a development program?

Sikorsky recently lost their bid for the Blackhawk replacement program. That's an Army contract but it might have hit the company hard.

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster

Raytheon is consolidating from four businesses to three. Thousands will be laid off.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    They all supported 53K development testing, which is winding down. Since there aren't any other test programs to jump to, they'll have to find another company.
    I never realized the test and development staff essentially work themselves right out of a job at successful completion of the project.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    Is it a support contract or a development program?

Sikorsky recently lost their bid for the Blackhawk replacement program. That's an Army contract but it might have hit the company hard.
    Guessing it aligns with gwchem’s comment about the King Stallion finishing development and shifting into production (elsewhere).

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    Raytheon is consolidating from four businesses to three. Thousands will be laid off.
    Sikorsky is owned by Lockheed Martin, so RTX's changes shouldn't affect Sikorsky.

You are correct about the consolidation at RTX, though I haven't heard anything about thousands of layoffs. Maybe corporate-type positions that become redundant, but they are hiring engineers like crazy.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I never realized the test and development staff essentially work themselves right out of a job at successful completion of the project.
    The contractors will almost certainly find work on another program by another vendor. Having said that, Naval Air had a massive tech refresh over the last 20 years - F/A-18G, F-35B and C, P-8, E-2D, CH-53K, MQ-4, MQ-8. The Next Big Thing will be MQ-25, followed by F/A-XX in the 2030 timeframe. Plus follow-on work, which is massive.

But I suspect we are looking at a significant drawdown in the Pax River workforce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom