• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    I recently was able to lay my hands on a NIB Ruger LCRx 38 cal with a 3 inch barrel, after waiting a long time. While I have a ways to go before I'm anywhere close to mastering it -- this is my first experience with a light weight wheel gun and my first with less than a 4 inch barrel -- so far I am liking it very much.

But with only 150 rounds down range, I'm having a serious issue. My eyes ain't what they used to be, and I'm having a very difficult time picking up the front sight, even in moderate light settings, including at the indoor range. (I've never had a problem picking up the factory front sight on my Ruger GP100 4 inch barrel.) So, I'm starting to shop around for an after-market front sight replacement for the LCRx. Does anyone have any recommendations, cautionary tales, or other words of wisdom on this one? Thanks!

PF Flyer

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Before you take on what becomes the experiment and the expense of changing sights?

You might be surprised by what you can accomplish on a ramp sight with old school white nail polish.

PF Flyer

Sep 8, 2010
    Before you take on what becomes the experiment and the expense of changing sights?

You might be surprised by what you can accomplish on a ramp sight with old school white nail polish.

Thanks, all, please keep these ideas coming!

My deal is that I'm six months in to what I've been told will be a 6 to 12 month retina re-attachment surgery in my non-dominant eye and hand, so I spent 6 months off the firing line, recoil avoidance and all of that, and even though I'm nowhere close to what will likely be a 12 month recovery, I'm back on the range with neither of my eyes lining up with each other. And on top of that, like lots of us, I'm what's called "red-green color blind." I'm finding that it sucks when your eyes go on you. But I'm starting to like this idea of trying to painting the ramp sight with orange nail polish before I start messing with unpinning and re-pinning with a NIB. The ramp sight on my GP100 is orange, and years ago, I had to learn how to paint my daughter's fingernails with nail polish . . . .

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

My deal is that I'm six months in to what I've been told will be a 6 to 12 month retina re-attachment surgery in my non-dominant eye and hand, so I spent 6 months off the firing line, recoil avoidance and all of that, and even though I'm nowhere close to what will likely be a 12 month recovery, I'm back on the range with neither of my eyes lining up with each other. And on top of that, like lots of us, I'm what's called "red-green color blind." I'm finding that it sucks when your eyes go on you. But I'm starting to like this idea of trying to painting the ramp sight with orange nail polish before I start messing with unpinning and re-pinning with a NIB. The ramp sight on my GP100 is orange, and years ago, I had to learn how to paint my daughter's fingernails with nail polish . . . .

Some considerations with color choices.

Nothing is perfect. Always a compromise. These realities being a given, your best choice will depend on how, where and when you'll envision most typically using that revolver to what you consider to be your optimal advantage.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have used hi viz green glow in the dark paint before. Never really made a difference when my eyes were good.
    Not sure what kind of accuracy you are trying to maintain with one of these pistols? Even with great eyes and the brightest sight, it will still be as accurate as it can give.
    These are basic point and shoot defense pistols. Good grip out to 10/15 yards, you can hit center mass with your eyes closed. You won't get miracles out of it and I doubt one can even get quarter sized groups from one even at 7 yards.
    Our expectations need to be what the pistol can ultimately provide, not what we think our eyes and new sights can mitigate.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County

I don’t have any LCR sight ideas but my dad had two detached retinas and had to sit face down after surgery for several weeks if I remember right. His eyesight was actually better after the procedure and recovery than before. Pretty amazing what they can do. God Speed OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom