• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Yeah, no doubt a lot of the state's money goes there. But legally they can't use the tax on guns for fishing; it is strictly for recreational shooting and hunting.

Do you really think so? I think it all goes in a big piggy bank and it goes to things not even related close to hunting and shooting. I would love to hear of examples of how the state uses our money for hunting and shooting purposes. I can give you a few examples that I know of from factual experience.

That's what makes me think it might be going somewhere else and we might be able to get it redirected to MG.

We're trying.

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    Yeah, no doubt a lot of the state's money goes there. But legally they can't use the tax on guns for fishing; it is strictly for recreational shooting and hunting. That's what makes me think it might be going somewhere else and we might be able to get it redirected to MG.

I think the state can do what ever it wants w/ that money (not that I like that idea but I believe that's the case)

now I have no doubt that someone from the treasurer's office or the Governer's office might say that "this is what this tax is for" but Tax is income or revenue to the state, at which point the money gets divided into all the different agencies from board of Ed's to police dept's ect.... the bottom line is the gun tax is also paying for teachers, roads and such.

I don't care what someone says it should be used for but that's the case, now w/ all the budget shortfalls that Md has had over the pass 2 years getting DNR to "pump" money into MG is akin to cureing cancer....

I don't think MG is a "critical" budget item hence it's way down on the list of things that will/need to get funds for

I don't know what DNR budget looks like but I hear even they have had to make some tough choices for budget cuts... during times like this getting that range upgraded or improved are going to be tough

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    I was their yesterday afternoon, and Dan was saying something about the So MD Shoot group. Did someone mention volunteering to help clean MG up. He was talking to another shooter, and I just caught the end of the conversation.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    From my understanding, they would not even accept the money.

I think l1x1 has talked to Dan about it before and the managment(not Dan) doesnt like that idea. He can comment better than I can about it, but I dont think it can happen.

My favorite MG time: overcast and cold on Friday mornings...no wait.

GREAT!.. now put me in a spotlight...:ohnoes: :lol2:

I'm trying to not to get involved w/ the politics part of it (due to: a) i hate politics and b)too many red tapes). It is frowned on when it comes volunteering is involved. From what i have heard from the secada (which i shot w/ a 22 at 100yd to keep its mouth shut from chirping too much), all i got from it is "liability". All I can say at the moment. :cool::tinfoil:

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    From my understanding, they would not even accept the money.

I think l1x1 has talked to Dan about it before and the managment(not Dan) doesnt like that idea. He can comment better than I can about it, but I dont think it can happen.

My favorite MG time: overcast and cold on Friday mornings...no wait.

GREAT!.. now put me in a spotlight...:ohnoes: :lol2:

I'm trying to not to get involved w/ the politics part of it (due to: a) i hate politics and b)too many red tapes). It is frowned on when it comes volunteering is involved. From what i have heard from the secada (which i shot w/ a 22 at 100yd to keep its mouth shut from chirping too much), all i got from it is "liability". All I can say at the moment. :cool::tinfoil:

Technically, you're off the hook. We just have to find this "l1x1" guy and throw him under the bus. :D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I think the state can do what ever it wants w/ that money (not that I like that idea but I believe that's the case)
    now I have no doubt that someone from the treasurer's office or the Governer's office might say that "this is what this tax is for" but Tax is income or revenue to the state, at which point the money gets divided into all the different agencies from board of Ed's to police dept's ect.... the bottom line is the gun tax is also paying for teachers, roads and such.

I don't care what someone says it should be used for but that's the case, now w/ all the budget shortfalls that Md has had over the pass 2 years getting DNR to "pump" money into MG is akin to cureing cancer....

I don't think MG is a "critical" budget item hence it's way down on the list of things that will/need to get funds for

I don't know what DNR budget looks like but I hear even they have had to make some tough choices for budget cuts... during times like this getting that range upgraded or improved are going to be tough

:goodpost::D:thumbsup:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Don't confuse it, it was Maryland Shooters, not So.

and you know this how? :innocent0

there are others that talks to Dan and i know this for a fact.. few times i've been there and not wearing anything MDS related.. I hear other volunteers that are not members to MDS wanted to clean up the range.. just your other regulars that want to help out.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

I could not agree with you more on any of the statements. I think you are absolutely right. But, those who ARE GETTING the money are the ones WHO ARE arguing for it as well, so, do we just continue to set aside and let them give "OUR" money away to other things, or do we step up and demand a portion of it get used for "OUR" purposes?

Each year my total for DNR licenses and permits is right around $140.00 I'd love to see some return on the investment directed toward the hunting and shooting community, besides paying for printing for a lot of useless papers, for example, put this thought in your head...

I buy my permits and licenses online now from the DNR. I use my own paper and ink to print them all, for my nephew, my wife and my self, this is a minimum of three sheets of paper and a lot of ink. Don't you think the licenses and permits should cost less, since they don't have to print them and mail them to me ??? NO, they end up costing the same, plus more for the internet "convenience fee". They don't make it cheaper because you used your own paper and ink, they charge you more. ??????? Seems silly doesn't it ?

But, everyone wants to talk about the issues, but, no one ever wants to at least try to change things. Why do you think they "give it away" to others? I think it's because no one else seems to want it.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    and you know this how? :innocent0

there are others that talks to Dan and i know this for a fact.. few times i've been there and not wearing anything MDS related.. I hear other volunteers that are not members to MDS wanted to clean up the range.. just your other regulars that want to help out.

My apologies, my head was elsewhere... I pull the comment from record LOL

Thanks,
    So maryland shooter :D

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    The tax is a federal tax, not state, and there are regulations the state must follow. This is from the NRA site I posted earlier:

The Pittman-Robertson Wildlife Restoration Act (“Pittman-Robertson”) authorizes the United States Secretary of Interior to work with the States, through their respective State fish and game departments (or their equivalents), on a variety of projects related to wildlife. Among these projects are the construction, operation, and maintenance of public target ranges. States are not required, however, to use Pittman-Robertson funds on target ranges. Such ranges are merely one of the uses to which the funds can be applied.
    Pittman-Robertson funds are apportioned among the States. States may use the funds to pay up to 75% of the costs of a hunter safety program and the construction, operation, and maintenance of public target ranges as part of such a program. The other 25% may be derived from license fees paid by hunters (or from other sources), but not from other Federal grant programs.

In addition, for States that have not used the funds apportioned to them for a hunter safety program and the construction, operation, and maintenance of public target ranges (but, instead, used them for other Pittman-Robertson programs), Federal law further requires that $8,000,000 per year shall be apportioned among the States and used to make grants for the enhancement of various hunter education, firearm safety, and range programs, including the construction and development of firearm shooting ranges and the updating of safety features of firearm shooting ranges. For States that have used the funds apportioned to them for hunter safety program and the construction, operation, and maintenance of public target ranges, this same grant money is apportioned among the States and used to make grants to the States for any use authorized by the Pittman-Robertson Act, including hunter safety programs and the construction, operation, and maintenance of public target ranges.

States receive certificates of apportionment of funds available to them. If a State wishes to avail itself of Pittman-Robertson funds, the State needs to provide a notice of desire to participate, as outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations. States then apply to use the funds by submitting a comprehensive wildlife management plan or grant proposal.

Although Pittman-Robertson funds are only available to the States, the States often then make the funds available to individuals, organizations, or local governments for their qualifying programs. States have their own criteria and application process for obtaining these funds. The 25% share of the total project can often be in materials, labor, or other in-kind contribution, and not necessarily cash.

If capital improvements are made with Pittman-Robertson funds, the State must control the land on which the capital improvements are to be made. States do not need to own the land, however. Control may be exercised through title, lease, easement, or agreement. Thus, a landowner could lease land to the State for the State to construct, operate, and maintain a public range. It would likely be far less difficult, however, for a State to obtain funds to construct a range on State-owned land. (Leases expire and they can be broken or terminated and, unless a lease specifies otherwise, improvements to real property by a tenant generally remain with the property.) Many states that offer grants to individuals or organizations for range development do not seem to require this level of control. Instead, control seems to be had by requiring certain use of the range.

If States do not make grants and instead use the Pittman-Robertson funds by or through their own fish and game departments, an individual, an organization, or a unit of local government can always contact State officials with proposals to open or expand public ranges, e.g.:

Identifying state land and proposing funding sources for the remaining 25% of the costs.
    Offering privately-owned land, or land owned by local government, to the State (either by sale, lease, or donation) with the condition that the land be used for a target range (and any other conditions that do not violate the control requirement).
    Please see the following list of State websites detailing grants that may be used for shooting range development. These websites have State-specific information on grant eligibility and requirements. There may be other websites out there that are not listed. In addition, the availability of grants for shooting ranges may not be well advertised, i.e., grants for ranges may be available but simply not listed among the examples of eligible projects. In such a case, websites for grant information are provided, if readily available and findable, but shooting range grants may not be listed, even if available.

States with Available Shooting Range Grants:

Arizona
    Connecticut
    Idaho
    Illinois
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Maine
    Maryland

So it looks as if MD has available grant money, perhaps they are simply not using it because they don't have the other 25% required? Perhaps if we could get the 25% together, we could use PR Act money for the rest. It would just depend on what we wanted to build, another range or a roof or something else.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    What about a Johnny on the spot, had to use the woods Sunday

That's a good question. I think someone mentioned that there use to be one there, I don't know, I've never known one to be there. I'm not sure if there is a public restroom at the main office or not.

Outerlimits

Feb 21, 2009
    Port Tobacco/Cape Coral Fl
    What about a Johnny on the spot, had to use the woods Sunday
    They have 5 or 6 on the Indian Head/White Plains rail trail. Besides its more important to have one pulled on a trailer by a county vehicle, for the prisoners that they use to clean up the side of the road.
    Seriously.....unless it was up the hill in the parking lot, how long until someone puts a hole in it.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    They have 5 or 6 on the Indian Head/White Plains rail trail. Besides its more important to have one pulled on a trailer by a county vehicle, for the prisoners that they use to clean up the side of the road.
    Seriously.....unless it was up the hill in the parking lot, how long until someone puts a hole in it.

:thumbsup:

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County

The first weekend when someone using the plaxico holster method goes to take a dump.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I'm not seeing anything for Myrtle Grove on this spending of the budget, but, here's a new example of how the money gets spent:

Governor O’Malley Announces BPW Approval Of Recreational Projects In Eight Counties - MD DNR

Annapolis, Md. (September 22, 2010) — Governor Martin O’Malley today announced Board of Public Works (BPW) approval of recreational projects in Anne Arundel, Caroline, Cecil, Charles, Harford, Montgomery, Prince George’s and Somerset Counties through...

Charles CountyLa Plata will receive $100,000 to construct a restroom facility at Tilghman Lake Park to service a 150 seat pavilion that overlooks the lake. Included in the construction is the installation of a force main out to the town sewer as well as a water line to service the restroom facility.
    .. ( anyone care to guess where our hunting license and range permit funds went ?????)

Full Article Here:
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/dnrnews/pressrelease2010/092210a.asp

We could have had a nice setup at Myrtle Grove, but, they decided to build beside a lake instead so kids can trash the joint...:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom