• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr bullseye

bullseye
    Nov 1, 2012
    New Midway
    I've been shooting for a long time and recently been considering shooting local long ranger sniper matches but I'm not a member to any shooting clubs or ever competed in any shooting matches but really would love to try it and see where I could place. anyone that can keep me posted on matches near Woodsboro MD, and possibly anyone willing to coach me?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Mayberry, Allegheny, and Peacemaker come to mind. Peacemake has 600, 1000, and 1200+ yard matches. F-Class is 600 yards, many clubs have that. If you have decent hunting skills out to 300 yards, then 600 yards is not rocket science. Depending on your scope and rifle I suggest investing in a 20 MOA offset rail or scope mount if you plan on doing 1000 yards. The key thing in any precision longer range match is being able to read the wind. That is about the extent of my knowledge because except for a Precision/Tactical match at Peacemaker last year I shot with an AR, I have not had the chance to shoot my .308 bolt gun in a match as yet myself. But I do shoot free standing rimfire metallic silhouette, which I consider actually a harder discipline. Peacemaker actually has classes for precision rifle.

herr.baer

Maryland Escapee
    Dec 27, 2007
    Tennessee
    There is also a monthly match held at New Holland. http://www.nhrpc.org/
    It goes out to 600 yards and Freddy always has a very good course of fire. It can/will include movers, pop ups, steel and positional shooting. It is very beginner Friendly. He also runs 3 matches at Mifflin which goes out to 1000 yards. The info is posted in this forum so keep your eyes here.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    There is a lot to learn and it's a lot of fun while you try and get it right. The longer the distance the more math and preparation count so 600 yards is a good challenging place to start without going hog wild and spending a bajillion dollars. Solid stock rifle with good glass, base, rings and a bucket of ammo and you're off to the races. Upgrade as you see fit and ogle the other guys' rigs.

It's also a growing sport so there are quite a few of us new guys trying to take it all in.

What weapon do you plan to shoot and what glass are you using? Trust the folks here when they say 'buy once cry once'. It's waaay more expensive to buy twice because you low balled yourself on your initial purchase.

mr bullseye

bullseye
    Nov 1, 2012
    New Midway
    currently I shoot a number of hunting rifles and one I'm considering to shoot long range if I can compete is my weatherby vanguard S2 chambered In 300 win mag, currently at 100 yards I'm shooting sub MOA but wondering if a mark 5 in 300 wby mag may be better, any advice? Also anyone thats shot in any matches willing to go shooting with me and give me any tips?

Grumpy41

Jan 5, 2008
    Calvert County
    My recommendation would be to take some training with Ed Shell and/or with Black Hat Tactical. I have taken training with both and they are great. PM Ed or go to Black Hat's website and check the schedule for the next two day class.

Also, as herr.baer stated, attend one of the matches at New Holland. They are a friendly bunch, willing to help and can answer many questions for you. Plus you get to shoot out to 636 yards and mostly likely to get to engage movers.

LAW683

Nov 1, 2011
    NHRPC is having a match this Sunday the 24th. I just signed up.
    sounds like it's gonna be alott of fun and good training

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    currently I shoot a number of hunting rifles and one I'm considering to shoot long range if I can compete is my weatherby vanguard S2 chambered In 300 win mag, currently at 100 yards I'm shooting sub MOA but wondering if a mark 5 in 300 wby mag may be better, any advice? Also anyone thats shot in any matches willing to go shooting with me and give me any tips?

I really hope you are into reloading if you're shooting any of the 30 magnums. If you aren't, start.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    +1 for Ed Shell.

Go see him for a weekend and he will not only get you to hit targets but he can steer you in the right direction on all the rest that you will need to have fun and compete.

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Shooting a hunting rifle in a tactical match will have it's limitations, mostly the barrel getting hot, it will lose accuracy in short order. Generally they are good for 5 rounds or so then start to lose accuracy fast. A dedicated rifle will frustrate you a lot less

mr bullseye

bullseye
    Nov 1, 2012
    New Midway
    Thanks guys for the advice so far and Jimbob I do reload and enjoy it, I stared reloading to save money on ammo for mine and my dads magnum rifles and the oddball calibers we both have but then got hooked on loading precision loads to tighten up the groups on our rifles, and that's what got me wanting to try competing in long range shooting matches. And anyone that lives near Taneytown or woodsboro and would like to go shooting I built a shooting range in my backyard complete with a back-stop and a swivel shooting rest, its only 70 yards but to push my shots out I set targets out in the field behind my house to see where they group at around 200 yards but its good for having fun shooting rifles and pistols and to sight my rifles in, I kinda would like to have someone to go shooting with if anyone is interested

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I'd take that 300 WM and shoot a few strings of 10 shots in relatively quick succession and see what kind of groups you have at the end. That will do two things for you: 1) tell you if the barrel profile is heavy enough for precision tactical; 2) define your tolerance for pain when you're on a fast stage with that cartridge. I shot a friend's 300 WM and my 308 is way nicer when you don't have the time/training to get into the perfect position for every shot.

It looks from the Weatherby site that some of the Vanguard S2 rifles have heavy barrels so that will be a plus.

mr bullseye

bullseye
    Nov 1, 2012
    New Midway
    Well I can tell you mine isn't a heavy barrel but it does group well with rapid fire although it only holds 5 rounds total as in 4 in the mag and one in the chamber but recoil isn't bad at all from it either, I can shoot an entire box of ammo through it and doesn't bother me but others I've shot are alot worse for example a browning A-bolt does through alot of recoil but my vanguard is no worse than most 308's I've shot hell people say a savage axis is a good gun, I had one and the recoil was worse than my 458 win mag and that's no joke, my 458 win mag I could fire off 5-10 rounds before it started to hurt too much but that axis I had I could maybe get only like 4-5 rounds till I shaved off 2" off the stock and then I could shoot it more but I might shoot my remington model 788 in 308 and that has a weaver super slam 3-15 x 50 scope with the EBX redicle in it and that one shoots awsome but whats your opinion on that one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom