• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    :(

First off, understand that this is a tale of my 1911 purchase, and not a rant against the FFL from which I got it. If it degenerates into FFL bashing, I have no qualms about having the mods delete the thread. I'm putting this out because people have been interested in my experiment, and I'm simply following up as promised.

In fact, the more I think about it, the less inclined I am to name the dealer--but I'll play it by year.

On Monday, May 6, there had been talk that dealers were considering what they would need to do in order to provide releases without having to wait for NICS. So, just to go put my ear to the ground, I went out to one of the FFLs to see if there was any chatter.

Well, it just happened that they had a Remington 1911 R1 I'd been looking at, and at the best price I'd seen, so........ ;)

As it turned out, the MSI/AGC/MLFDA lawsuit was filed (IIRC) later that week. I wasn't aware of it, so at that point I made a commitment. I decided I would let my purchase sit, and see where it ended up. I didn't check on it, and in fact I've avoided the shop completely for better than 3 months.

I've tried to have confidence in them, that they would honor their backlog, and let people know 'in order received' that they would be able to come pick up their guns, if they were willing to sign the waiver. Unfortunately, it was starting to sound like there was chatter that this was not the case. But, I stuck to my commitment, hoping it was not the case.

I went by this evening, simply to pay my balance and check the status. The young lady I spoke with was professional and knowledgeable, and very nice, but insisted that they were not releasing anything until MSP returned the ND, and were still releasing only into late April... until I starting asking her about their announced policy and I mentioned the word "waiver."

At that point, the entire conversation changed, and she started pulling together papers, retrieved the pistol from storage, and got dots and tittles in place. Again, she was most pleasant and professional, and we'll probably get on fine as time goes on. But, needless to say, I was disappointed in the shop, as it was admitted that they were not calling anyone until MSP gave the ND to them.

I ended up doing exactly what I had not wanted to, which was jump the line over people (including many of you) who are waiting patiently, and for that I apologize. But it goes to prove my greater point, I suppose... that there are FFLs out there who may/are not keeping an orderly pace on their releases.

In short, yes I have my 1911... no I am not a fan of my FFL's integrity.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Honestly, I would have been happier with (and had more respect for) them if they told me they were checking with people along the way, and told me a date, rather then leave folks twisting in the wind and having to say the magic word.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Well, maybe you've opened the flood gates and your fellow shooters will head in and say the secret word to win their prize.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Well, I'm very (un) happy you were able to take your purchase home, I think...
    I understand your situation if I read you right. You are upset with your dealer, but perhaps more upset with yourself for not letting the "purchase" wait for a ND, which seemed to have been your intent. I was "trying" to do the same thing, thinking it may have provided me with more legal "standing" for the lawsuit with the MSP, but the suit was settled, my dealer said they would release after the 8th day and here the purchase ( a 1911 by chance as well) had been held for nearly 90 days. I left and thought I could wait it out...I returned some days later and signed the waiver. My intent was to let it wait, but given the opportunity, I succumbed and my purchase came home.

At least I think I get part of what your are saying...

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    So, it sounds like they have a waiver process in place, but are assuming that the customers want to wait for MSP approval unless they specifically ask for the waiver? Odd.

:(
    At that point, the entire conversation changed, and she started pulling together papers, retrieved the pistol from storage, and got dots and tittles in place. Again, she was most pleasant and professional, and we'll probably get on fine as time goes on.

LOL. Had to read this section 3 times, that extra T made me read it wrong and I was wondering just what you were doing while she was standing there getting her titties in place.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Well, I'm very (un) happy you were able to take your purchase home, I think...
    I understand your situation if I read you right. You are upset with your dealer, but perhaps more upset with yourself for not letting the "purchase" wait for a ND, which seemed to have been your intent. I was "trying" to do the same thing, thinking it may have provided me with more legal "standing" for the lawsuit with the MSP, but the suit was settled, my dealer said they would release after the 8th day and here the purchase ( a 1911 by chance as well) had been held for nearly 90 days. I left and thought I could wait it out...I returned some days later and signed the waiver. My intent was to let it wait, but given the opportunity, I succumbed and my purchase came home.

At least I think I get part of what your are saying...

Close.

I truly hoped to be told they were still working on backlog, and had no intent on bringing it home. I only went for a status because of the latest AG Opinion, so I could plan accordingly.

Mr H

Banana'd
    LOL. Had to read this section 3 times, that extra T made me read it wrong and I was wondering just what you were doing while she was standing there getting her titties in place.

Tittle. A small distinguishing mark, such as an diacritic on a lowercase i or j.

For any who may not know.

"Dots and tittles in place" is similar in meaning to "crossing Ts and dotting Is"

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Close.

I truly hoped to be told they were still working on backlog, and had no intent on bringing it home. I only went for a status because of the latest AG Opinion, so I could plan accordingly.

Well, horseshoes and hand grenades...

certaily hope you enjoy your relationship with your dealer and your purchase.:lol:

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Yeah, the whole secret handshake deal sucks. At least if they released you should be able to get your next purchase in a more timely fashion.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I would hope any dealer I was dealing with would disclose my options! Would you like to sign a waiver and take your gun home or to the range and shoot it? Nah I just bought it to see how long it would take to get a ND out of the MSP.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    I picked mine up the same way,paid up front,came nave on the ninth day and simply asked if I could pick up my purchase all nonchalant like.I think I had the same girl wait on me she was very nice and professional and told me to talk to the manager.The manager flipped through a huge ancient Bible looking tome and said,you sure can!I was so happy I may have peed a little,but they were very cool and have most of my business now.I think they are just trying to keep it on the down low to keep criminal types from exploiting their system so its don't ask don't tell,but at the same time I bought it there for that very reason and got the info as a Lurker on here.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    What's wrong with FFL's employing a very discrete policy?

Can't blame any FFL for doing that, IMHO. It's their business on the line.

Congrats on your new purchase. You waited very patiently.

Mr H

Banana'd
    I picked mine up the same way,paid up front,came nave on the ninth day and simply asked if I could pick up my purchase all nonchalant like.I think I had the same girl wait on me she was very nice and professional and told me to talk to the manager.The manager flipped through a huge ancient Bible looking tome and said,you sure can!I was so happy I may have peed a little,but they were very cool and have most of my business now.I think they are just trying to keep it on the down low to keep criminal types from exploiting their system so its don't ask don't tell,but at the same time I bought it there for that very reason and got the info as a Lurker on here.

Well, at this point I won't confirm the shop.

I will factor in the 'taking advantage' piece. That helps, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom