• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chowda69

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland (ugh)
    Has anyone compared the new Ill. CCW law to ours ? Will they have the same G and S ?? I did an initial search on here and could not find anything.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    While I don't recall the details of the entire thread, there is a long discussion thread on the new IL bill in the National 2A forum, with links to the actual bill.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Illinois will be shall issue, however, applications are open to as yet to be determined scrutiny by police and training must be obtained. Their carry requirements are similar to those our state will have for handguns after Oct 1st....

Sent from my hacked mobile device of destiny.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    $150 + 16 hours training. No exception for Chicago, can't carry on public transit.

This is asinine. So I would have to fork over $150, plus an undisclosed amount of cash for training and I can't get on a bus or subway? Right I forgot there is no crime on public transit. :sarcasm:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    And the very folks who can't afford a permit are further restricted from carrying in the very place they'd be most vulnerable even if they could afford it.

Racism? You bet.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    MD has a a "good and substantial" reason in order to have to get a ccw permit. I wonder if I told them that my "good and substantial" reason was that I was more likely to be the victim of a violent crime due to my demographic. I really wonder what they would do. Someone get Gura on the batphone and tell him to get a young black man from Maryland to apply for a ccw permit and use his demographic as his reasoning. The state has never defined good and substantial and would almost be forced to in a case like this. Just me 2 cents.

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    MD has a a "good and substantial" reason in order to have to get a ccw permit. I wonder if I told them that my "good and substantial" reason was that I was more likely to be the victim of a violent crime due to my demographic. I really wonder what they would do. Someone get Gura on the batphone and tell him to get a young black man from Maryland to apply for a ccw permit and use his demographic as his reasoning. The state has never defined good and substantial and would almost be forced to in a case like this. Just me 2 cents.

Well im black and young and I was going to use that on my CCW application to be honest, I still am once I get the money. I do live in a area where we have alot of home invasions, robberies walking through the trail, there's rapes, there's a crazy home right on the other street, people get shot, people get jumped, my friend and her mom were murdered and set on fire right in our neighborhood. Is that good enough substantial reasoning on my application? Soon as I get money to spare I'm going to apply. If I get denied i won't be surprised.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Forcing the race card (no offense meant) in that manner would cause MD and MSP to re-think their approach to G&S in a new way. Legally they could deny you outright by saying your race does not constitute G&S, but at the same time they would be alienating most of their voter base. It would be interesting to see how that would play out, but again if they denied you for lack of G&S, they could say they applied the law equally to everybody.

I would like to see this case enter the courts and change the public perception of G&S, but at the same time I don't think it would be the right case to challenge and overturn G&S. Technically it has no real footing or traction as far as I can see, but then again IANAL.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Forcing the race card (no offense meant) in that manner would cause MD and MSP to re-think their approach to G&S in a new way. Legally they could deny you outright by saying your race does not constitute G&S, but at the same time they would be alienating most of their voter base.

The MSP has a voting base? :confused:

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Well im black and young and I was going to use that on my CCW application to be honest, I still am once I get the money. I do live in a area where we have alot of home invasions, robberies walking through the trail, there's rapes, there's a crazy home right on the other street, people get shot, people get jumped, my friend and her mom were murdered and set on fire right in our neighborhood. Is that good enough substantial reasoning on my application? Soon as I get money to spare I'm going to apply. If I get denied i won't be surprised.

I say go for it. If nothing else it would make for a very interesting appeal. The government has done all the research and data on it and there are tons of books and dissertations on the matter. Use it.

Edit: If you get denied, appeal it. There is tons of information out there to suggest that a young black male is more likely to be the victim of a violent crime. You and I are on the opposite end of the gun control conversation in the African American community. Go for it. If denied, appeal it. Then contact Second Amendment Foundation to see if they would take the case.

T'Challa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 24, 2013
    Wakanda
    Forcing the race card (no offense meant) in that manner would cause MD and MSP to re-think their approach to G&S in a new way. Legally they could deny you outright by saying your race does not constitute G&S, but at the same time they would be alienating most of their voter base. It would be interesting to see how that would play out, but again if they denied you for lack of G&S, they could say they applied the law equally to everybody.

I would like to see this case enter the courts and change the public perception of G&S, but at the same time I don't think it would be the right case to challenge and overturn G&S. Technically it has no real footing or traction as far as I can see, but then again IANAL.

I think using race would force them to take a look at the matter more closely. Race alone would not make the G&S but history and statistics, and the nightly news reports would. The history of gun control is nestled in keeping African-Americans from having guns. Can the State argue with there own data? Insurance companies use demographics (age and gender) to determine rates... the State uses age to say who can buy a regulated firearm and who can't. This would be turning the table on them and perhaps America will seriously address crime in the urban area. What I clearly want is 2nd amendment carry rights for all Americans. Alan Gura, if you are reading, send me a PM and I can get this thing moved along.

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    I'm going to apply after I get this AR 15 :) gotta get it before banned. But once I do apply I will update you as I'm updated on the process. I appreciate the friend request, your added.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County

Well then don't you already carry? :lol2:

Seriously the only G&S should be that you are age appropriate and a CITIZEN. The whole process is BS.

Good luck continuing the fight. :thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The usual current reasoning is that an applicant must have specific reason why they are at greater risk than others * Of Their Situation * , and not an absolute measure of level of danger.

But yes you are right, this is an excellent issue. The general concencus of 2A groups has benn focusing litagation on pure 2A grounds rather than the due process and equal protection as a matter of stratagey. A minority opinion ( meaning small portion , not ethnic background ) within the gun rights community favors attacking on 4A , 5A , and 14A grounds Also. Md would be a very low hanging target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom