• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    If he uses some weird convoluted process to can a sheriff and the law is held invalid/unconstitutional, can the sheriff petition for personal damages? What about anyone denied rights by state police if law held unconstitutional? Federal civil rights case (1983) against the officers personally?

Eventually this concept of “Sanctuary Areas” will make it to SCOTUS. It will be interesting to see which case makes it there first: a sanctuary 2a, sanctuary immigration, sanctuary abortion, or sanctuary gender affirming care. Seems like liberals have more to lose by taking a Sanctuary 2a region to SCOTUS and winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Eventually this concept of “Sanctuary Areas” will make it to SCOTUS. It will be interesting to see which case makes it there first: a sanctuary 2a, sanctuary immigration, sanctuary abortion, or sanctuary gender affirming care. Seems like liberals have more to lose by taking a Sanctuary 2a region to SCOTUS and winning.

Sanctuary is a little different than a sheriff refusing to enforce a state law. I agree with you that the libs have a LOT riding on the legality of sanctuary areas but unless the governing body of the jurisdiction passes such a resolution, I suspect that the governor will focus on the sheriff's noncompliance.

You raise a good point. Since the state did this literally overnight (in effect immediately), it will be amusing to see if any localities pass immediate effect sanctuary resolutions. That would probably accelerate the process as the state would be going after its own constituent counties/cities. Would that go to fed district court?

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Edwards County.jpeg
    Logan County.jpeg
    Moultrie County.jpeg
    Shelby County.jpeg

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    14 sheriffs have declared that they will not enforce this law. Pritzker states that any sheriff not enforcing the law will be removed.
    Sheriffs are elected officials, so I'm not sure how he plans to do that.

Basically it sounds like he plans on pitting the state police against the county sheriffs. I don't see what could POSSIBLY go wrong there.

No doubt many Illinois government agents are chomping at the bit to violate your rights. Just following orders and all that.

243hunter

Oct 26, 2012
    Illinois
    Some of the States Attorneys have already said that the state police may be the ones in handcuffs charged with deprivation of rights under color of law.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    This LGS is brilliant. Why haven’t any MD gun shops figured this out yet.

438670559c66c7a6a1ccc2dc773b706b.jpg

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    If he uses some weird convoluted process to can a sheriff and the law is held invalid/unconstitutional, can the sheriff petition for personal damages? What about anyone denied rights by state police if law held unconstitutional? Federal civil rights case (1983) against the officers personally?
    I don't know but a suit needs to be filed ASAP and get a TRO on it. We know this thing was rushed with little or no studies or historical backing, so good luck to IL to defend it.

I wouldn't even put it past the state courts to knock down at least portions of it. The IL Supreme court has been surprisingly solid on 2A matters in recent years.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I don't know but a suit needs to be filed ASAP and get a TRO on it. We know this thing was rushed with little or no studies or historical backing, so good luck to IL to defend it.

I wouldn't even put it past the state courts to knock down at least portions of it. The IL Supreme court has been surprisingly solid on 2A matters in recent years.
    I know zilch about IL state courts, admittedly. Just a question; wouldn't this be better served in federal court where it's a shorter trip to the SCOTUS? I cannot imagine SCOTUS letting this one fly. Might take a bit but that bit would be significantly longer if the case has to wind it's way through the state judiciary first.

243hunter

Oct 26, 2012
    Illinois

There are at least 3 in the works. I suspect that one will get filed in each of the 3 IL federal judicial circuits. Each suit will cover 3-4 items since the briefs are limited to 28 pages. Each lawsuit will go after different sections of the law. Possible the county States Attorneys will be filing their own lawsuit like they did with the Safe-T act.

Coming to a state near you. This latest infringement is designed to overwhelm the 2A organizations and bankrupt the opposition. McDonald v Chicago was $1.2M in legal fees. Expect just overturning the IL AWB will probably require 2 or three rounds of lawsuits and new bills are being filed that we will be fighting also by the end of the year.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There are at least 3 in the works. I suspect that one will get filed in each of the 3 IL federal judicial circuits. Each suit will cover 3-4 items since the briefs are limited to 28 pages. Each lawsuit will go after different sections of the law. Possible the county States Attorneys will be filing their own lawsuit like they did with the Safe-T act.

Coming to a state near you. This latest infringement is designed to overwhelm the 2A organizations and bankrupt the opposition. McDonald v Chicago was $1.2M in legal fees. Expect just overturning the IL AWB will probably require 2 or three rounds of lawsuits and new bills are being filed that we will be fighting also by the end of the year.
    I don’t believe any State organization should waste any time or money fighting this childishness in the legislatures. Save money for the lawsuits. The more egregious the laws that pass, the better for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom