• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Is it really Is it really a good idea to be going 80 miles an hour on the Virginia side of the Washington DC beltway?
    Asking for a friend.

I mean I mean honestly, with that license plate why are you in a hurry to get the Maryland?

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I got a verbal warning for 72 in a 30 in VA.

Wife's father was in the Hospital and we got the call that he might night make it thru the night. I loaded up the car and headed down as fast as i could. I got to the town of Accomac (sp) VA on the eastern shore. Passed two cops sitting on the side of the road, i saw his break lights come on so I pulled over and waited for him. After telling him what i was doing he told me to slow down as I am only 2 miles from the Hospital.

Upon arriving my wife's aunt asked how fast I was going? She is a dispatcher and told her guys there are people coming from MD.

I did get a funny ticket in WV. My grand parents were celebrating 65 years of marriage and most of their grand children (45 off them) were heading down to celebrate. I get pulled over and the trooper said " if you tell me you are going to your grand parents 65th anniversary party i will lock you up" i laughed and asked him how he knew. He said he had pulled over about 10 of my cousins. Got a ticket from one of the coolest cops i have ever met.

Nobody

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I did get a funny ticket in WV. My grand parents were celebrating 65 years of marriage and most of their grand children (45 off them) were heading down to celebrate. I get pulled over and the trooper said " if you tell me you are going to your grand parents 65th anniversary party i will lock you up" i laughed and asked him how he knew. He said he had pulled over about 10 of my cousins. Got a ticket from one of the coolest cops i have ever met.

Nobody
    The family that speeds together stays together.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Simply put, that is not true. Thanks for the reminder of why i don't get my legal advice from the internet.

Correct it’s a misdemeanor.
    You can be charged with reckless driving if you’re going more than 20MOA over the speed limit, be fined and possibly receive jail time however. (In VA)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Simply put, that is not true. Thanks for the reminder of why i don't get my legal advice from the internet.
    You are right, it's a wee short of a felony, but very serious compared to "just a ticket."

In Virginia, there are two main types of speeding offenses: speeding and reckless driving. The difference between them is generally how fast the driver was going. General speeding usually is charged up until 19 miles per hour over the speed limit or less, however, once it transitions to 20 miles per hour over the speed limit or more, it typically becomes reckless driving, which is a criminal offense rather than just a traffic infraction.

Criminal offenses are jailable, and someone charged with reckless driving is facing up to 12 months in jail, a fine of up to $2500 and a license suspension of up to six months in addition to a permanent criminal record.

A misdemeanor may not sound that horrible, but a Class 1 Misdemeanor is the most serious misdemeanor in Virginia. It comes with a permanent criminal record if you're convicted of the crime, potential jail time, and long-term consequences we'll discuss soon.

Even worse, the crime may not be expunged from your record; even if you're found not guilty or the case is dismissed. This is because your eligibility to have the crime expunged is dependent on many different, intricate, factors that are unique to your specific case.

If you're found innocent, or the case is dismissed, your main long-term consequence is that potential employers, educational institutions, and other places can see that you were charged for the crime when they perform a background check. This may cause them to turn down your application despite the positive outcome of the case.

If you are convicted, the consequences are far worse.

As a Class 1 Misdemeanor, reckless driving will produce a permanent criminal record. Potential employers and current employers can see this whenever they perform a basic background check. This can prevent you from working for most employers and drastically impact the quality of your life.

Schools also gain access to your criminal record. This can keep you from being accepted to universities and colleges you're qualified for, and it can even result in you being expelled if you are a student currently.

Finally, you can be denied security clearance in all of its forms.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    No wonder Blaster banned you from the Glen Burnie meetup. :lol2:

I have heard several MDS member horror stories about over 20 / over 80
    LoL did he? Ha, I never noticed. I thought that d-bag was again banned from the message board.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    You are right, it's a wee short of a felony, but very serious compared to "just a ticket."

Wee bit short, versus actually felony are two COMPLETELY different things.

Also it's worth mentioning, "can be charged" versus "WILL BE charged" for going 20mph over are also two COMPETELY different things.

Lastly, while there is no doubt serious consequences for reckless driving, it likely is not as grievous of an offense as the article you quoted. Of course they are going to spell out all the "DOOM AND GLOOM" in that article, from a LAW FIRM, which a bunch of blood sucking lawyers trying to take your money.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Wee bit short, versus actually felony are two COMPLETELY different things.

Also it's worth mentioning, "can be charged" versus "WILL BE charged" for going 20mph over are also two COMPETELY different things.

Lastly, while there is no doubt serious consequences for reckless driving, it likely is not as grievous of an offense as the article you quoted. Of course they are going to spell out all the "DOOM AND GLOOM" in that article, from a LAW FIRM, which a bunch of blood sucking lawyers trying to take your money.
    Aye, understood. I'm not going to test it, though. ;)

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    No wonder Blaster banned you from the Glen Burnie meetup. :lol2:

I have heard several MDS member horror stories about over 20 / over 80
    While the 20 over is still true, the max changed to 85 from 80 not long ago. So, going 81 mph on the interstate where the speed limit is 70 mph is now an 11-over ticket not a misdemeanor offense.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I heard that flashing your MDS badge will instantly get you off and you’ll be sent on your merry way. Any truth to that? :):)

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    Seems that the state of Virginia has a problem enforcing anything. If you are not doing 80 mph down here everyone passes you up. Oh and it would be nice if the texting drivers got pulled over every once in a while.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Seems that the state of Virginia has a problem enforcing anything. If you are not doing 80 mph down here everyone passes you up. Oh and it would be nice if the texting drivers got pulled over every once in a while.
    I can't tell you the number of times I've driving on 95 between White Marsh and the tunnel and trafic is clipping along at 75-85 MPH and I'll see some moron looking at their phone and typing away. They're not even pretending to be looking out the windshield.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom