If Russia acts a fool. When to leave the DMV?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RNB3

Apr 24, 2019
    in dem mountinz
    I pretty much live about 3 or 4 miles from ground zero, and I’m not referring to D.C.
    I suppose if I see the flash, It’ll just be a millisecond or two before I depart… and I don’t mean bug-out… lol

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    We all have to recognize the fact that when it's our time...it's our time. I will qualify that by saying I'd feel more comfortable having some control about the timing and manner but that's not how it works. But...fight like hell all the way and strive to live a life of consequence. From the movie "Ride the High Country"..."All I want is to enter my house justified."

No one gets out of this life alive.

owldo

Ultimate Member
    Like most of you, I live within 20 radial miles of the biggest target on the planet.

In the event of sabre rattling becomes a tripped trigger, when will you leave?

Just provoking thoughts.

Also have you figured out how to haul everything you have/need?

You always think you are prepared until the time comes to act...
    Nuclear First Strikes are like Sucker Punches ... They are very rarely if ever announced ! Its probably going to be a gut feeling !

Jul 5, 2022
    West Friendship
    Like most of you, I live within 20 radial miles of the biggest target on the planet.

Just provoking thoughts.

Anyone living on the East coast, especially the mid-Atlantic region, wouldn’t have time to gather their stuff before being incinerated. I keep a go box ready for my family just in case. That being said, don’t be so “pessimistic. The US is fully capable of handling the nuclear threat. Not all of those warheads are going to make it through and all the countries in possession of nuclear weapons, mainly the US and Russia, understand the concept of “MAD.” All the other countries know they would only end up like a huge glass parking lot if the challenges the US.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think a ground burst spreads radiation over a much wider area. much more ground is contaminated. People and animals (i.e. food) can't use the area for a long time. So greater impact for longer overall
    It would make an area that I might not want to live. But 99% of the fallout is non-radioactive or washed away within about 2 weeks. And within a year it is closer to 99.99%. Fallout is significantly worse for a dirty bomb or nuclear reactor melting down. Nuclear bombs produce, largely, different nuclear radioisotopes than what a reactor/dirty bomb would produce. The later could be particular bad if you release long lived, high energy stuff like radioactive cobalt which, absent a clean-up, is likely to leave an area uninhabitable for decades if not centuries.

Also a different scale. I am not running across an easy source on how much fissile material is in your typical 200-500kt thermonuclear bomb, but what little I can find, it is likely in the range of 20-100lbs.

By comparison, a nuclear reactor contains on the order of 27 TONS of fissile material. Early in its fueled life, most of it would be low enrichment uranium and be less of a problem, but towards the end of its fuel cycle, it is going to have tons and tons of radioactive waste.

On average, you are probably talking ONE nuclear reactor being about the fallout equivalent of a few dozen 200-500kt thermonuclear bombs. Or several 5-20MT range thermonuclear bombs (big powerful nukes, focus more heavily on the fusion side of things, so a 20MT nuke doesn't actually have, generally, 100x as much fissile material as a 200kt nuke. It'll have several times more, probably not even 10x as much).

So think of Fukushima about the equivalent of several smaller nukes went off as the fallout was not completely uncontained. Chernobyl since much of it was uncontained, consider that likely the equivalent to a few megaton scale nukes having gone of at ground level. At least in terms of fallout (not in terms of prompt radiation).

Of course if the US (or ANYWHERE) got hammered with hundreds of 200-500KT nukes that is going to create a lottttt of fallout.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Figured to go out quick than suffer for months for the same ending.
    Interesting way to look at it. If you apply that logic to normal times, why not check out now versus getting old having to go through degraded health?

Sep 28, 2022
    Virginia

Just provoking thoughts.

unless you have prior knowledge when it time it to late... you have a window just make sure you get 73mile away from the main target and remember you still have other soft targets to worry about (lake anna)....

urbantchr

Jun 22, 2021

Just provoking thoughts.

One of many reasons I'm retired in Mexico. Got my Permanent Residency (green card). Put a basement apartment in my Maryland house for when I'm in town, and rent out the town house upstairs. Living cheap on an island paradise down here. Hopefully I'd be far enough away to be dead by the time the cancer would kill me anyway

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you live within 20 miles of a target also consider in actual use, not prearranged testing, what the actual accuracy might be. They might miss the target either because of poor quality control, damage to the delivery device, inadequate training, etc. Now if they miss by 5 or 10 miles (what is MOA for a 5,000 mile shot?) it depends on which direction they miss it could either drop it in your lap or mean you get almost no effect. Seems silly to be waiting to be vaporized with no preparation and all you see is a distant flash in the pan. If you prepare for the worst and you and your preparations get vaporized there is no time for regrets however if you do nothing to increase your chances and nothing happens to you and yours but TEOTWAWKI happens you will have a long time to regret as you starve, freeze, get sick from bad water, or from any number of other things you could have mitigated.

Chat-Bot

Disinformation Governor
    Oct 17, 2020
    под скалой
    Worth a play. There's a demo too.

header.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM