If Russia acts a fool. When to leave the DMV?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Meh, if I have time, I'm going outside, raising my head to the heavens, and in my best William Wallace voice shouting "FREEDOM".

I’d have to do something else, I already did that when I got my permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    OP...Please define DMV. I'm assuming you're talking about DC, but in all my years of federal service it was called MDW (Military District of Washington).
    Just curious.
    Department of Motor Vehicles. He's gonna go wait there so that he's actually happier just dying and getting it over with.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Did anyone here consider leaving on 9-11 when it was obvious we were under attack?
    I didn’t.
    Of course I’m not sure any of us was thinking it could turn nuclear but the idea of a suitcase nuke certainly wasn’t out of the question.
    :wave:

Catching a flight on 9/11 put one on guard.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд
    I wonder how big an attack it would be? All out Armageddon, or just a few strategic shots. Limited nuclear war can be survivable. It will be a mess, and perhaps we can stop worrying about all the other things we are doing to mother earth for awhile.

Me, personally, I'm not sure I care anymore. I'm in no rush to get to the end of my life; but I'm not particularly afraid of it either. My life is steady-state, working and living without anything truly momentous happening, every day more or less the same, and my not affecting the world in any meaningful way. The twenties and thirties seem to be the years for making an impact, not mid 50s. Kinda depressing, actually. Nothing to really live for except the basic desire to keep living. So, I'll keep going as long as I can, try to give more to the world than I take and do more good than harm. I'm not planning on giving up the good fight, but if it's my time, it's my time. I think my Mom would miss me, for the few years she likely has left, assuming a warhead didn't drop on her as well. Maybe my wife, though in a nuke attack I'm sure we'd shuffle off this mortal coil together. There might be stories occasionally of "hey, remember Uncle CrazyTrain, the one who bought it in the great Russian nuke fiasco? Yeah, me neither." But I'd rapidly be lost to time. A minor footnote in the greater tragedy. <sigh>

(oh, God, that sounds so depressing. I'm not generally depressed. Just sadly resigned.)
    If it is any consolation, I feel much as you. Six decades on this rock. Had a wonderful life. Don't want it to end and am not seeking an end but if it does I am at peace. Most everyone I know with whom I can freely discuss such matters feels the same.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I wonder how big an attack it would be? All out Armageddon, or just a few strategic shots. Limited nuclear war can be survivable. It will be a mess, and perhaps we can stop worrying about all the other things we are doing to mother earth for awhile.

Me, personally, I'm not sure I care anymore. I'm in no rush to get to the end of my life; but I'm not particularly afraid of it either. My life is steady-state, working and living without anything truly momentous happening, every day more or less the same, and my not affecting the world in any meaningful way. The twenties and thirties seem to be the years for making an impact, not mid 50s. Kinda depressing, actually. Nothing to really live for except the basic desire to keep living. So, I'll keep going as long as I can, try to give more to the world than I take and do more good than harm. I'm not planning on giving up the good fight, but if it's my time, it's my time. I think my Mom would miss me, for the few years she likely has left, assuming a warhead didn't drop on her as well. Maybe my wife, though in a nuke attack I'm sure we'd shuffle off this mortal coil together. There might be stories occasionally of "hey, remember Uncle CrazyTrain, the one who bought it in the great Russian nuke fiasco? Yeah, me neither." But I'd rapidly be lost to time. A minor footnote in the greater tragedy. <sigh>

(oh, God, that sounds so depressing. I'm not generally depressed. Just sadly resigned.)
    Odds are high limited nuclear exchange. The Soviet plans were to hit basically our strategic nukes and a few of the major navy and joint bases. It wasn’t hit all of the population centers or the whole country or anything. DC was in the list. But Baltimore and NYC weren’t for example. And DC was just for the Pentagon. It was a few score of launches, not hundreds.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When you know its time to leave, it'll likely be too late.

Alas , this .

If you actually believe there is double digit risk , even if within 5 - 10 years , leave NOW to relocate to central WV or wherever , and just make occasional trips back to ground zeeo/ surrounding megaloplis for business , if things internationally seem stable that week .

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Where am I going if we‘re expecting imminent nuclear strikes?

The closest liquor store. Before they’re sold out.

It’s pretty much all over.
    Maybe set a liter of your favorite aside specifically for such event, then you don’t run the risk of vaporizing while standing in line at the liquor store.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Now!!! If Russia acts a fool, then you won’t be able to drive fast enough to get out of harms way. We’re talking minutes.

If daily rush hour has all the major roads at capacity , any attempted evacuation will be instant gridlock , with nobody moving for days .

Unless you have a helicopter in your backyard , once a panic starts , it's already too late .

Afrikeber

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Urbana, Md.
    Traveling on roads would be impossible with traffic. For folks in Montgomery and Frederick County maybe riding a bike up the C&O canal towpath from areas of D.C to West Virginia.

….or points above the Potomac falls a watercraft up the Potomac to West Virginia.

You can always knock on the door at Raven Rock and see if they’ll let you in?

Naptown34

Super Genius !!
    MDS Supporter
    May 4, 2008
    3e33e3e74707a2ce75fef6eb73adbc0f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If the Russians did bomb DC and the Pentagon, there would be 450 left over Generals and Admirals and 55-60 state governors to deal with for the surrender terms. 20 or 30 states might send thank you notes and flowers, but my guess would be 15 to 20 would fight on. It would be a mess that even Putin wouldn't want. In the earlier times the reason to sack the enemy's capitol was that was where the resources were, treasuries with actual precious metal reserves and graineries; but you didn't burn it until you had emptied it. None of that is in DC. The idea of bombing an enimy's capitol is old school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom