• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philmadxx

Jul 16, 2013
    It doesn't need to naturally point. You need to use your sights and dryfire until it feels natural. :)

For the most part I agree that how a gun feels shouldn't be the only thing being considered...but that doesn't mean you should pick something that feels bad. You could train to shoot just about anything but a gun that points naturally can't be a bad thing, can it?

Maybe the "feel" or "pointability" or "cool factor" makes practicing more enjoyable - that should count for something.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Hey all,

Just about to revisit the old shooting hobby. Used to shoot quite a bit more around 10-11 years ago, back in AZ, mostly just for marksmanship with my Ruger mk3 and RIA 1911, was looking into bullseye. So now...wrapping up the carry permit paperwork and HQL here in MD. Thought I'd like to purchase a new handgun, probably 9mm, that would be a decent first carry, and something I could have some fun with at say, AGC and action shooting - falling steel, IDPA, etc. What might be a reasonable starting point along these lines? Last time I tried, wasn't a fan of Glocks, but that was 11 years ago - liked the feel of a Sig P320 yesterday at the shop in Mt Airy, but never shot one. Just starting to look, so any suggestions/ideas would be welcome! Also going to get my badge for AGC, hope to be shooting there quite a bit.

-Mike

Eleven years ago, I wasn't a fan of Glocks either. Now, I probably have half a dozen or so :o For me, the Gen5 without the finger grooves was a game changer.

Carry (presumably concealed) and competition for the most part will require different equipment. So, you need two guns, for starters :shrug: Depending on your build and concealment abilities, maybe Glock 19 or Sig P365 could do both...but you should figure on getting at least two.:innocent0

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For the most part I agree that how a gun feels shouldn't be the only thing being considered...but that doesn't mean you should pick something that feels bad. You could train to shoot just about anything but a gun that points naturally can't be a bad thing, can it?
    It's a meaningless metric that can actually point you to the wrong gun. That is my quibble with it.

Maybe the "feel" or "pointability" or "cool factor" makes practicing more enjoyable - that should count for something.
    You should be dryfiring on a timer. You will not notice how your gun feels on a timer with the proper par time. I know I certainly do not. I don't feel anything while I'm on a timer. My brain is focused on things that matter.

Do you shoot competition regularly?

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    I concur. My tactical sport feels like a brick. But it shoots amazing.

The OP has already been given advice to separate carry guns and competition guns, so I would just reiterate that. I'm partial to CZ for pistol sports, but any decent full size 9mm will get you started, so long as it's idpa legal.

What's your budget, OP? Enough for an X-Five and p365?

Budget...Probably one new acquisition to start. Need to finish my permits, get the range badge, but figure I can talk the wifey into something in 9mm to get started (or restarted). Besides, I still have in mind a basic iron sight bolt action .22 (my 10/22 is scoped), and also to perhaps build an AR-15 - wanted to do that 10 years ago. But I think the 9mm is first. Thinking maybe something in a compact for some carry-ability, but still shootable for some range fun as I check out steel/IDPA?

philmadxx

Jul 16, 2013
    It's a meaningless metric that can actually point you to the wrong gun. That is my quibble with it.

You should be dryfiring on a timer. You will not notice how your gun feels on a timer with the proper par time. I know I certainly do not. I don't feel anything while I'm on a timer. My brain is focused on things that matter.

Do you shoot competition regularly?

Why is it a meaningless metric and how can it point you to the wrong gun? What do you use to pick out a gun? I think it is a stretch to say that the way a gun feels has no bearing on how well you shoot it. Have you tried practicing with a gun that "feels good"? Maybe you'd be faster...maybe not.

I do shoot competively on a regular basis - I would guess that I am not as serious as your are and probably not as good as evidenced by the "dryfiring on a timer" comment. Those sessions are few and far between for me.

What would you consider the best way to choose a gun? If "feel" is unimportant - and let's not forget that I agree with this for the most part - what are your metrics?

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Budget...Probably one new acquisition to start. Need to finish my permits, get the range badge, but figure I can talk the wifey into something in 9mm to get started (or restarted). Besides, I still have in mind a basic iron sight bolt action .22 (my 10/22 is scoped), and also to perhaps build an AR-15 - wanted to do that 10 years ago. But I think the 9mm is first. Thinking maybe something in a compact for some carry-ability, but still shootable for some range fun as I check out steel/IDPA?

Ok, thanks. So here's the deal. None of the real carry guns will be competitive in steel challenge. Only a few make sense in idpa. But they can all be "fun" if you manage your expectations. What I would advise, given that answer, is to buy your favorite carry gun and a bunch of mags. Use steel and idpa to hone your skills, then have a plan to buy a dedicated rig for the matches within a year or two, should you like competing.

I did two years in uspsa with a compact pistol before upgrading. That didn't hinder my fun at all.

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    Ok, thanks. So here's the deal. None of the real carry guns will be competitive in steel challenge. Only a few make sense in idpa. But they can all be "fun" if you manage your expectations. What I would advise, given that answer, is to buy your favorite carry gun and a bunch of mags. Use steel and idpa to hone your skills, then have a plan to buy a dedicated rig for the matches within a year or two, should you like competing.

I did two years in uspsa with a compact pistol before upgrading. That didn't hinder my fun at all.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. Never carried before (open or concealed), figured steel/idpa etc, would help the comfort/getting used to carrying safely, hone my skills. If I did want to get serious about competing - that'd definitely be a specialized acquisition!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Certain phrases have diverse connotations here . Competition is one of them .

Practical Carry Gun and Winning Major action- ish championship last intersected in 1981 ( stock- ish configuration 5 in 1911 , IPSC World Champion Ross Seyfried ) . Ever since , they have been different things .

Ask oneself your meaning of Competition :

Regular average shooting regime , practical real world gun , enjoy the fun , comradarie , and hone your skills at either informally with your buddies , or Club Match .

Be SERIOUS , 0.01 sec per stage difference is meaningful and important to you . You practice at least 1K rounds per month . You have a gun case full of competition guns , each optimized for particular game and rule set . You do well at Regional level . looking to make a splash at a National or International level .

Something in between .

mikeasu

Feb 5, 2022
    Certain phrases have diverse connotations here . Competition is one of them .

Practical Carry Gun and Winning Major action- ish championship last intersected in 1981 ( stock- ish configuration 5 in 1911 , IPSC World Champion Ross Seyfried ) . Ever since , they have been different things .

Ask oneself your meaning of Competition :

Regular average shooting regime , practical real world gun , enjoy the fun , comradarie , and hone your skills at either informally with your buddies , or Club Match .

Be SERIOUS , 0.01 sec per stage difference is meaningful and important to you . You practice at least 1K rounds per month . You have a gun case full of competition guns , each optimized for particular game and rule set . You do well at Regional level . looking to make a splash at a National or International level .

Something in between .

Point well taken. Most definitely the first meaning there, for the foreseeable future. But at least get shooting regularly again.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Point well taken. Most definitely the first meaning there, for the foreseeable future. But at least get shooting regularly again.
    If you want to have fun, just buy whatever full stack double stack 9mm meets your fancy and your budget. A good shooter with a G17 is gonna beat a bad shooter with a 2011 - and I've done it. It's when both of you are good shooters that the equipment differences start getting real.

LuckyBoy

Jun 27, 2022
    Ellicott City, MD
    Hey all,

Just about to revisit the old shooting hobby. Used to shoot quite a bit more around 10-11 years ago, back in AZ, mostly just for marksmanship with my Ruger mk3 and RIA 1911, was looking into bullseye. So now...wrapping up the carry permit paperwork and HQL here in MD. Thought I'd like to purchase a new handgun, probably 9mm, that would be a decent first carry, and something I could have some fun with at say, AGC and action shooting - falling steel, IDPA, etc. What might be a reasonable starting point along these lines? Last time I tried, wasn't a fan of Glocks, but that was 11 years ago - liked the feel of a Sig P320 yesterday at the shop in Mt Airy, but never shot one. Just starting to look, so any suggestions/ideas would be welcome! Also going to get my badge for AGC, hope to be shooting there quite a bit.

-Mike
    I shoot a Sig Sauer P320 X Five Legion. It shoots great and works great in different types of matches they hold at the AGC. It's a heavy large frame gun, which is what I prefer. The truth is that there are a lot of great choices out there.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I would support the gun should fit and point well in the hand. A fairly learned hand, anyway. We can all learn to adapt to xxx pistol but that doesn’t necessarily mean it is the best for that shooter. The acid test is shooting and running drills with it…that goes without saying.

I am a prime example of pistol…give me a 1911 configured like a WWII GI or a Sig 1911…yeah the back of that pistol is that bad for me…and I don’t do my best work. Give me something akin to a Rock Island with their beavertail, Ed Brown, Kimber, or Nighthawk and I am noticeably more proficient. Same thing in the revolver world with some makes/models.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hey all,

-Mike
    Attend an action shooting match at AGC and make a note of the amount of Sig P320s in whatever iteration that you see people shooting. It's also a very good carry gun and can be concealed quite easily (if that's your thing) with the right holster.

And if your morning is available tomorrow sign up for this intro class and you can shoot a couple versions of my 320s. https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...shooting&uid=760236451071b1dfcb27efcdc5035f5d

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom