I removed the brace so it can’t be re-attached.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    Barrel profile doesn't matter for SBR.

Anyway, it seems to me that this modified SBA3 is now no different than one of those Thorsden cheek rests which i think will remain legal (?), so.....
    That’s exactly how I was looking at it :)

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I would say you likely would not be legal with that. It increases the surface area and extends it back for a shoulder pad. I would say almost for sure not.

Also, since its clearly no longer a brace, now you have a questionable legal item on there now...

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    I would say you likely would not be legal with that. It increases the surface area and extends it back for a shoulder pad. I would say almost for sure not.

Also, since its clearly no longer a brace, now you have a questionable legal item on there now...
    But the brace was removed so it can’t be re-attached

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

In what respect?

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Keep shooting them and let the courts figure it out. 40 million estimated braced pistols in the US, 8 ATF agents assigned to clear E-Form 1's you do the math.
    ^^Good strategy. Nobody should be ridding themselves of braces at this time

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    My advice to you Worsely would be to keep your pants on before you start chopping up $125 SBA3s and see what happens. You have 120 days from when the letter is filed to make a decision. It's not filed yet.

Worsley

Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    My advice to you Worsely would be to keep your pants on before you start chopping up $125 SBA3s and see what happens. You have 120 days from when the letter is filed to make a decision. It's not filed yet.
    Oh this was pure satire, and done to show how dumb the rule is.

SouthCo

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe I just don’t understand the rule. I just hate shootin straight buffer tube and I’m trying to figure out what I can do with all these pistol braces I have.

You don't have to worry about the 29" rule unless you are trying to SBR it. If you have a braced pistol under 29" legally bought in MD, MD still sees it as a pistol. The ATF would like to make the brace illegal. So maybe eventually you have to remove the brace but MD still sees it as a legal sub 29" pistol even without the brace. Also, there is no issue with a pistol that has a buffer tube. I have seen a few posts mention the buffer tube itself as a potential concern but it is not a part of the brace. I would worry about a pistol without a buffer tube that shoots rifle caliber rounds before I worried about a pistol with a buffer tube that shoots pistol caliber rounds. But who knows what they will try in the future.

Whether your hacked brace would be ok is hard to say but hopefully you don't have to worry about it.

Blackbeard

Jan 1, 2019
    SouthCo, thank you for the simple but clear explanation, been looking for that. Follow up question, if one had sub 29” pistol purchasEd legally in MD as a pistol, but change the 10” barrel for a 16”+ barrel can you retain the brace and is it now a legal rifle? Would this need to be registered in some form to comply with MD and/or ATF? Thx

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The problem will be the range nazis turning each other in. Lots of public ranges banned mags over 10 rounds during the 2013 debacle.

Ranges were banning something that was perfectly legal?
    What ranges?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just to clarify :

Everything that isn't a Rifle isn't necessarily a Pistol .
    Everything that isn't a Pistol isn't necessarily a Rifle .

Pistol = under 26 inches
    Rifle = over 26 inches , AND designed to be fired from the shoulder .

Over 26 inches , but NOT designed to be fired from shoulder = Other Firearm

Think " Shockwave type " shotgun - like objects . Over 26 inch , not shoulder fired .

Think a cpl years ago the mini fad for over 26 in ARs with no stock , but WITH vertical foregrips .

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Before it was a brace, not a stock. What is it now? Not a brace... since you modified it, would it count as a stock now? Who knows.
    Okay, I'll go you one better; since when was a "cheek weld" a thing on pistols(a rhetorical question)?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The problem will be the range nazis turning each other in. Lots of public ranges banned mags over 10 rounds during the 2013 debacle.
    :)
    l
    e636541484ef321a52a4b39fa0411943.jpg

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I’ve never been asked for paperwork for any of my SBR’s or suppressors at any range. I also don’t walk around carrying a binder of tax documents with me. This whole thing is just ridiculous.

danimalw

Ultimate Member
    I’ve never been asked for paperwork for any of my SBR’s or suppressors at any range. I also don’t walk around carrying a binder of tax documents with me. This whole thing is just ridiculous.

I thought it was illegal for anyone other than IRS
    and maybe ATF to ask to see your TAX documents. But that's just my peabrain understanding but then again I don't have any to show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom