• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    OK shotgun people, I need to add a shotgun to my collection. I don't need a home defense shotgun, I want to start with one that will see some more use. I also don't intend to hunt deer with it, I like my muzzleloader for that. I would like to be able to use it for clay games and for fowl hunting (currently, I don't do either in earnest, but I'm starting to wet my feet). I know multi-purpose guns are not usually recommended, but I don't intend to compete or anything, I just get tired of shooting holes in paper every once in a while and want a different target.

I have been looking for a used 1100/11-87, but yesterday I saw a used Beretta AL391 Urika online for $750. I started reading about it and the more I read, the more I liked it. Unfortunately, the gun sold before I could even make up my mind, let alone find one to hold. At this point, I really like the idea of the Beretta if I can find another one in that price range, but I have a friend who has offered to sell me his Browning Gold Fusion for a similar price. From my research, both guns seem to be very similar and well liked. They both come with a 28" barrel and a full set of chokes.

I know there is a lot of experience on this forum, what do you guys think about these choices? Any preference for the Beretta or the Browning? Should I go back to looking at the Remingtons? Anything else that I should be looking for that I'm missing (guns or features)? I appreciate any guidance.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    If you want a great HD SHotgun, its the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. find one with a 18 or 18.5" bbl and your done. You can find used one @ $200. no need to spend alot of $$ for a reliable shotgun!! Decide which feels better for you. I own few 870 and just love it!

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    391 is a great gun. You can certainly shoot some clays with it (make sure you get a 30" gun), and can also kill some birds.

I prefer Browning, go to any local club and look down the racks, they FAR out number Berettas,... it's this way for a reason.

If I were buying a Beretta, I'd look for a lightly used "Extreme" in MAX4, this are the new A400 models, very reliable. Runs up to 3.5" shells but can also reliably cycle light target loads.

If you think you'll be doing some sporting clays games, try to look at 30" barrels. (And not a Remington). I own (and have owned) plenty of 1100's, up to Nickle/teflon Competition models. They just simply aren't as well built and meant to shoot high volume like the "B" guns.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    In a Browning, look at the Maxus, same as the Beretta 391 (and now A400's), in the fact that it'll cycle pretty much any shell available for purchase.

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    You're on the right track with either a Remington 1100/1187 or Beretta 390/391 in 12 gauge, 26 or 28" barrels and choke tubes. To me the Beretta feels lighter and handles better but the Remington is a well made workhorse that can typically be found for a couple hundred dollars less.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    If you want a great HD SHotgun, its the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. find one with a 18 or 18.5" bbl and your done. You can find used one @ $200. no need to spend alot of $$ for a reliable shotgun!! Decide which feels better for you. I own few 870 and just love it!

I think he said that he "doesn't" need a HD shotgun.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    The Beretta 391 either Urika 1 or Urika 2 would be best all around gun for hunting and clay target shooting either wood/blue finish or Max4. The difference in the Urika 1 & Urika 2 is the gas piston has surrated edges to clean the carbon out of the barrel gas tube. Prices of higher condition Urika 1 run around $800 and Urika 2's around $900 on the re-sale market. You can order the piston for the Urika 1 models from Brownells. The new Beretta 400 are nice and lighter but jury is still out on them from new owners. If you want to save even more, look @ the Beretta 3901, less frills than the 391 but basically the same gun in matte finish/black stocks for around $600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom