• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jackson242

Nov 18, 2016
    Hey guys I'm new to the site and I'm looking to get a AR for home defense I'm ex army guard and have basic knowledge on M4 so I wouldn't mind trying to build one but I really want a 7.62 Rifle and need to know what are some good ones for a reasonable price

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    If you want a 7.62 round in an AR platform, go for 300BLK. Obviously not a great a idea if you live in an apartment complex or somewhere where overpenetration is a real risk, but otherwise fantastic for HD.

My main HD rifle is a 300BLK I assembled using a striped lower, LPK, and complete upper. Not a difficult process at all. Tons of YouTube videos if you have trouble.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    5.56 NATO is 10x better for HD versus .308. Blue Fins has(had?) an Eagle Arms M4 style carbine for ~$700.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Best 7.62 firearm for home defense is AK-47. Which you can't get anymore. There are new ARs that will use the 7.62x39 cartridge and AK mags. Several Industry Partners have them.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Disagree that 300BLK is going to over penetrate. It's all about your bullet choice. A 110 gr VMAX or Varmageddon bullet or something like a Barnes VOR TX is going to rapidly expand and not likely to penetrate much beyond other choices.

Store bought ammo is still a bit more expensive than other calibers, I'll grant you that...but not overly so and as the caliber becomes more popular prices are reflecting that by dropping.

If you reload, components are both readily available and relatively inexpensive.

I think 300BLK is actually a fantastic HD choice. It's mine anyway.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    For home defense I would say 9mm. Lots of ammo available and lots of cheap ammo for training. I'm in Westminster if you want to build your own. I'm retired USAF LEO/Combat Arms and more than happy to help. PM if you need any information. Thanks for your service!

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Agree that .308 is not a good option. Way more powerful than needed.

I don't like 7.62x39 / AK as a choice mostly due to the difficulty of finding ammo choices that make sense for this purpose. I think most would use inexpensive surplus ball ammo, which would definitely have over penetration problems.

I also don't like what a lot of folks have as a go to HD option...the 12 gauge 00 buck solution. Way too much penetration.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    1) Welcome to the forums!
    2) Thank you for your service!
    3) This question would be best asked in the rifle forums: https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27
    4) I don't think many would recommend a 7.62x51 (AR-10) for home defense, but if you just meant 30 caliber, there are lots who like the 300 blackout.

I have a ar308 and if it's the fastest to get to, I'm using it lol I just feel very sorry for my ears and the other guy at the other end of that round and uh the neighbors and their neighboors

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Respectfully disagree with the shotgun being a better choice.

12 gauge 00 buck will seriously over penetrate plaster and drywall. For HD, I want to minimize the amount of projectiles that are going through walls and things I can't see behind them. Lighter loads reduce the problem, but also deliver less energy to your intended target.

Shotguns are typically longer than an AR carbine and harder to control for most shooters. Certainly less precise. For HD I want a weapon I know has the best chance of hitting only what I want to be hit.

There is the crap your pants factor an intruder will experience when they hear the sound of a pump shotgun cycling, I'll give you that. But slingshotting your charging handle to chamber the first round in an AR has just the same effect I would think.

I also like the idea of a 30 round mag.

I'll take a SBR or AR pistol anyday over a shotgun. There's a reason police breaching teams have ARs.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Back to the OPs original question. I would get a lower, and build an AR pistol. You're very familiar with the controls, and the short length of the pistol will make it very nimble in a home defense kind of scenario.

The upper you can either build or buy pre manufacured. It's easy to do, it's fun and educational, it's cheaper and you get what you want.

You can build 7.62x39, but it'll be less reliable (the AR doesn't like tapered rounds and FTF problems are pretty common - not good for home defense).

What's nice about 300BLK is everything is the same as a normal AR except the barrel. That means it's cheaper to build and maintain.

Ballistically it's pretty similar to the 7.62x39 and if you ever decide to get a suppressor, with subsonic rounds it's really really quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom